• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

VG Weekly Poll #3: Favorite Generation?

Favorite generations?

• Total voters

Ivysaur

SoFloFoSho
Reaction score
Welcome to the third installment in the Video Games Forum's new weekly series of poll! (sorry for the slight delay; not exactly the easiest thing in the world to post a poll on an iPod :p)

Centered around the Pokemon series of video games, these polls will be based on the various different aspects of the popular video game franchise. Every Friday, a Video Games staff member will post a new poll that'll remained stickied up on top of the forum. Suggestions for polls and questions can be sent to Life Alert, and they could possibly used for new polls (credit will be given, of course).

With that out of the way, here is the poll: What is your favorite generation? Did Black and White's many additions win you over? Is the beloved second generation still your favorite? Or will Red, Green, Blue and Yellow forever hold that special place in your heart?

Past Polls of the Week

1) http://bmgf.bulbagarden.net/f323/vg-weekly-poll-1-black-white-step-right-direction-115729/
2) http://bmgf.bulbagarden.net/f323/vg-weekly-poll-2-did-you-agree-ns-ideals-116253/

Thank you for voting!

-The Video Games Forum Staff

Last edited:
Generation V was by far my favourite Generation. The Unova region was well designed, the NPCs all have their own personal touches to them, the story was intriguing and the new Pokemon were designed in a way that made them all equally useful in battle, with no novelty or baby Pokemon. I also like the more mature feeling it gives to the franchise.

It's still relatively early in the current generation to call it my favourite. I'm still in my honeymoon phase with it. I do really like it though.

I guess I'd actually have to go with gen four. In the past I would have gone with two, and I would say that is probably still my favourite in terms of the pokemon released. Though fourth gen over all for various reasons.

- The return of night and day is a selling point for me. I'm disappointed that it is mostly aesthetic in the new games, only affecting a few things and not affecting which pokemon show up when.

- The pokeradar was a wonderful thing as well, I miss that.

- The introduction of the GTS, while it has its flaws, was the beginning of truly global trading. Between that and wifi trading, I was finally able to actually trade pokemon with people. As the kid without many friends who played pokemon and about one kid with a link cable. He never traded with me, he just battled me with his hacked level 100s. ._.

- Of course, a remake of the games from my originally favorite generation didn't hurt. P:

Gen 4 is a favorite of mine. I did like alot of the Pokemon in Diamond Pearl and Platinum and of course am a huge fan of Heart Gold and Soul Silver, being Johto remakes. I loved the Pokeradar in DPtm I also love that it was the first generation where wi-fi could be used to trade and battle globally, which I think was one of the most important features to ever be implemented in Pokemon.

I say each generation is better than the one before, and the current is always the best. Black and White changed/added so many things (generally) for the better, especially the plot.

I dunno, at first I was afraid of the whole "fresh start" of BW, but it's grown on me. Ever since March 6, 2011.

Doesn't make it my favorite though.

No, that honor goes to Generation II. I remember my mom buying me a copy of Gold and a purple Game-Boy Colour, then acquiring a copy of Silver for my birthday. Crystal came into the picture much later, but all three were pretty fun. Nowadays, Silver's bitten the dust, I f--ked up Gold pretty bad trying to do the Celebi Egg Glitch, and I erased my Crystal file. Silver went to a friend, Gold to another, and now I have only Crystal and Pokemon Stadium 2.

Ah, good times, good times.

For me it's a tie between II and V.

Gen II: It set many franchise staples in motion (day/ night, Steel and Dark types, breeding). I really loved the fact that you go back to Kanto after beating the Elite Four and get 16 badges. There's just so much stuff to do in those games, especially the remakes.

Gen V: FANTASTIC storyline, FANTASTIC character development, excellent soundtrack, cleaner and streamlined battle mechanics, reusable TMs, improved graphics, clever little background and sound extras.

Gen II was the first one I played (Silver and Crystal) as a preteen, Gen V is what officially brought me back into Pokemon after a 10 year hiatus. (I saw all the previews for BW over Summer 2010, then looked at HGSS and saw how they improved them.) I never played Gen III and most of Gen IV, so I only know about them from videos and written accounts.

Personally, my favorite generation was the third one. I loved the Hoenn region and the RSE games - especially Emerald. That was also when contests were introduced, and while I do like battles more, contests weren't that bad (though DPP-style of contests were... I just didn't like them, that's all). I liked surfing around the region, too. Though, I must admit, I didn't like all three starters of Hoenn (only liked Mudkip ^^). Also, this was where double battles had their debut!

Gen 1 was awesome as well - the classic RBY. And Kanto was the only region in which I liked all three starters. I've always liked originals, though my first game was Emerald. I got FireRed later on, and from what I had experienced there, I was sure RBY was great. And I was right (I borrowed the game of my cousin).

As for Gen 5, it was definitely better than Gen 4 (though HGSS was decent - yeah, I don't really like Sinnoh). The storyline was pretty cool, and the graphics were great (though we can't really compare them to previous gen's graphics for technology has improved since then). I like the new battle modes (rotation and triple). I felt that this gen rescued Pokemon from gen 4 which I believe some people thought was quite.. meh (no offense to those who like Sinnoh ;)) Unova also had some creative, decent-good new 'mons.

Still, my vote goes to Gen 3 ^^ (since there's R/S/E and FR/LG)

Gen III: Awesome Pokemon, I loved the map, and all the hokey-pokey islands. Fortree City was such an unique place too.
The Music was also amazing.

III and IV. Both were major advances over II, with better graphics, better gameplay that was well implemented (Double Battles), and major battle system changes.

I also give a special mention to I for being so freeform. You can run through it however you want.

As for V, it was a major letdown for me.

The 1st and 5th gen due to their Pokemon being the only ones available at their own regions, plus the 150 mark.

Generation III is my favourite. The Region is the most varied region so far and for the GBA, looke really good. The Pokemon are also amazing. THe characters are also great.

Generation II. Not the best plot certainly, but it certainly had the "best" pokémon all in all when it was launched. No other pokémon-game has dragged me into the game as Gold did, nor do I think will ever do, though I hope I'm wrong. A much-needed improvement over generation I's somewhat clumsy but very successful start. Another huge plus is that you actually had something to do after the E4, something I feel Hoenn failed rather miserably at, especially Ruby and Sapphire, which could have done just as good as Gold and Silver, but didn't. FrLg did manage to fix this though, I rather like the Sevii, they're a rather nice addition. I think that implementing day and night (plus just simply the concept of events based on days) as a better addition than double battles (not to mention that this was in my mind poorly implemented in Ruby and Sapphire, but then again, that's okay because I don't like them. Gen V was worse at implementing triple and rotation battles anyways), as well as trainer rematches (though at a tiny scale), the special-split, happiness, hold items, breeding, radio (later replaced by TV, that's okay but I'd rather listen to the radio while I walk than break into someone's home to watch TV...), shiny pokémon, not to mention two new types. You could probably make a similar list for another generation, though I would say the most important changes afterwards have simply been natures, abilities and the improvement of the EV system, but I like the fact that the game changes from night to day and vice versa better than to know my pokémon is timid.

As a total experience, generation II was the best. Let's see if they can make generation V impress me, Black was okay but not that great.

For me, it's hard choice choosing between Gen III, IV, and V, but I just had to go with Gen III for several reasons:

- It was my first generation, because I started out with FRLG, which personally was a great starting Pokemon game, in my opinion, so that generation will always have a space in my heart.

- It was the first experimental generation. While I and II had fairly basic generations, III took it one step further by having lots of different enviroments (the ocean, land, forests, deserts, underwater, and jungles).

- It had more creative Pokemon than the previous two generations. Many early Pokemon were simple designs, where as the III had every single Pokemon being a creative one.

- A much better story.

I didn't choose Gen IV because a certain part of Sinnoh annoyed me (the snow routes), and I hated how all of the late Gen IV Pokemon weren't availible pre -E4 in DP, and I didn't choose Gen V because it isn't over yet, so it would be unfair to choose a half-done generation over a completed one.

I believe most people agree that the first generation they played was their favorite.
Our own first gen be it gen one,two,five was where we learned basic stuff and simply enjoyed playing instead of thinking of movesets,matchups and stats.
And everything was new.

Gen.V is still young,so we can't seriously call it the best,B/W are a step in the right direction and show the great potential of Gen.V.
But the next games are where we can know for sure. Honestly I don't know what I would like more:to have remakes of R/S or not to have them! But I would definitely like third version before the remakes.

I just love Hoenn.

First off, Emerald was technically my first game that hadn't been already played by someone else. Second, the storyline and scenery in Emerald just blows you away. Third, the level of difficulty was significantly higher then its predecessors, in my opinion. The gym mazes were the hardest, Victory Road took me at least a month to finish, the new addition in the Battle Frontier, and the Sealed Chamber, which I haven't even cleared today.

I don't get why this is a multiple choice poll, because you can just select all and say that ALL of the games were your favorite. So, my one vote goes to the 3rd Gen.

Gen III. The graphics are great, the regions are vibrant, the new pokemon are excellent (imo), the plotline in RSE was great, not to mention that it was the game that got me hooked to Pokemon. Gen III I have a feeling will always be my favorite generation.

Gen 2 for nostalgia. (Gen IV would have been a nostalgianostalgia for me, but I was too lazy to click 3 different Gens. D:) Gen 5 for sheer quality.

3rd and 2nd Generation

2nd Generation has a lot of phenomenally designed pokemon and great battlers that I use in teams all the time. I also loved Soul Silver (Never had original).

3rd Generation has also greatly designed pokemon and brought a lot of my signature pokemon with it such as absol and flygon. And I loved all the renovations it brought with it :D And its plot and gameplay were no slouches.

Please note: The thread is from 11 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom