• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

VG Weekly Poll #3: Favorite Generation?

Favorite generations?

• Total voters
For me, it's gotta be either Gen III or V. Gen III was the first time I really got into the games, mainly because that was the first time I actually knew what I was doing. There's more nostalgia there than with any other Generation for me.
Gen V, meanwhile, is what I consider the best Generation of them all: a game that took what preceded it, then streamlined it almost perfectly while simultaneously leaving it behind. The designs are impeccable (they mark a significant improvement over Gen IV; whereas Gen IV's designs gave a sense of "We're running out of ideas and trying to force everything we can think of", Gen V's seem to say "We don't care! Let's do whatever we can think of and try to make it the best we can!"), and the graphics are better than any game preceding them. Not only that, but BW seems to have more soul and atmosphere than its predecessors, from the improved story to the fantastic city designs (Village Bridge had a distinctly Miyazakian feel to it, which is definitely a good thing). Gen V marks a new beginning for the franchise, and only makes me optimistic for the future.
But then Gen III was pretty cool, too...
Gen I gets an Honorable Mention for being the most impressionist of all the Generations (and for being the Generation that made everything else possible).

Generation III. I loved the Hoenn region, the diverse character cast and the creative Pokémon, of course. Some Hoenn Pokémon are a bit flawed competitive wise, but their designs are the best. The original R/S/E soundtrack was great, too. I loved the orchestral sounds and the revolutionary trainer battle music and Gym Leader battle music.

For me, it's Gen V. Why? The better storyline and the actual clean break from the previous Gens, among other things. But Unova gave me something that the previous games never quite could: A pair of undeniable favorite Pokemon. For that, Generation V will always be my favorite.

Generation I.

Those were the good ol' days; too young to have to worry about work, qualifications, relationships etc, yet old enough to have some freedom. It was a time when kids could go out and see others without the fear of them being grabbed by some stranger. A time where it was cool to like Pokémon, and not bringing your Gameboy to school resulted in a reaction that was worse than death itself.

We didn't have wireless communication or Wi-Fi, but we had loads more players around, and link cables. They were the good ol' days!

Generation II.

I still remember how happy I was, when I heard about Gold and Silver. It wasn't a self-evident thing at least for me that there would be any followers for RBY - of course now when I'm older it's really obvious that there will be new Pokémon games as long as it sells, but back then as a kid it definitely wasn't. The new Pokémon, whole new region, Gyms, characthers, colors :) D) - it was pretty much everything I wanted and I also got it. Some might call it a stupid nostalgia, but for me it was just pure happiness and excitement. The happiness for just knowing that Pokémon games won't end yet made me love the 2nd generation more passionately than other generations.

Gen III. The graphics are great, the regions are vibrant, the new pokemon are excellent (imo), the plotline in RSE was great, not to mention that it was the game that got me hooked to Pokemon. Gen III I have a feeling will always be my favorite generation.
^This.
I'll just add that the emerald bf was the best ever.

My personal favourite generation is the current generation, Generation V. Can't stop having these minor and yet useful improvements... I just can't go back to molasses speed of Generation IV. Even III feels slow now. And I'm a fan of these new Pokémon.

Gen II, it was the first one I actually understood whilst playing (Sort of, I knew I had to level up pokemon xD) and even now despite the graphics and lack of some feature that were added in later generations I still prefer it. Typlosion, still the best starter ever.

I like Generation IV the best. The graphics were great. Also the music and the sounds improved in quality in my opinion from that generation (imo). Also Gen IV had me interested in Pokemon games again since Gold and Silver.
I have never owned Gameboy Advance nor Gen III games, so I don't have much to say about Gen III sadly ;_;

For me it's between III and V

Hoenn was a expermental Gen they actualy changed things rather then Gen I 2.0 (Gen II is by far the most uoriginal region) the had brilliant Pokemon awesome Legends that actually HAD SOMETHING TO DO WITH THE STORY! and a beautiful region

Gen V because Unova is cool gret pokemon and it's unique plus the music is awesome (Village Bridge has the most beautiful music of the series)
Is anyone else suprised that Gen I only has 7 votes...) and of course Hoenn is winning again take that haters!

Gen IV, mainly because that was when I started playing, but Gen V was close, because of the amazing music and the Team plasma storyline

Picked Generation III and I in the poll (yes, in that order).

Generation III is what I consider to be the pinnacle of Pokemon games. The graphical changes it brought were astounding back then. I remember the shock I was in when I saw that the trainer actually throws the ball into the air, instead of it magically appearing out of nowhere. The minicons were a fun little addition which I greatly enjoyed. Gen III also seems to be the only gen where the dev team truly cared about the attack animations. Anyone remember Rollout, or Return? It was awesome to watch them rise in intensity. Or the fact that you could actually "see" the stat drops (in color!). Just awesome. The colour palette was extremely vivid compared to gen II. And lastly, you could finally see your reflection in a pool of water, footprints on sand, weather effects... I can go on forever.

Game mechanics changes it brought played an extremely important role in balancing the game, and formed a foundation for all of the modern Pokemon games. The revamped EV system, abilities, natures, vastly expanded Berry system, new weather effect (Hail) and (arguably) the advent of RNG abuse - that's all what the 3rd gen brought, and today players (including me) now cannot imagine their lives without them.

Going back to aesthetics, is no stretch to say that Hoenn is the most beautiful and diverse region of all. A volcano, a desert and a rainforest all on the same island? Poke-verse Tenerife anyone? Moreover, the scenery is not the only thing that defines Hoenn, it's also a region that's bursting with secrets waiting to be found - the Regi quest (I managed to figure it out myself actually!), the abandoned ship, Sky Pillar, Mirage Tower, "bike zones" (accessible by mudslides or white ramps), hell, even the starters final evolutions, as your rival never fully evolved his/her starter to begin with. Even some smaller things like the Mach Bike Race, Contests or Trick Master's House made the game all that much interesting to play.

But you know what? All of those great additions pale when compared to what I consider the single best thing to happen to the Pokemon series. I'm, of course, referring to the Battle Frontier. The sheer ass-kickery of this place cannot be described in a single post, so let me just say that BF is what brought me back to Pokemon after promising to myself to never pick it up again (it's a long story xD).

So, a perfect Gen? Not really, as all Pokemon games have their shortcomings and RSE is no exception. One thing that always annoyed me about Hoenn's Pokemon is that there seem to be quite a lot of filler mons, like Plusle/Minun, Volbeat/Illumise or even Latios/Latias. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE the Lati trio, and have nothing against the former four, but I feel that GF could easily combine them into a single Pokemon and call it a day. I also feel that Hoenn's regional dex is quite lacking. I would love if they could bump the Pokemon list up to 250 mons in the speculated remakes. Next, the music. I used to enjoy RSE soundtrack quite a lot back in 2003-2005, but now when I compare it to the other Gens, it just seems to be the worst of the bunch. The lack of connectivity to the older gens also hurts, but I guess it was done for the greater good (read: revamped stat system).

As for Generation I, I picked it mostly out of nostalgia (Blue was my first Pokemon game), but I'm quite convinced that they are great games as they are, despite all the glitches and horrifying (or hilarious, depending on how you look at them) sprites. I recently bought Green on eBay, and I enjoyed playing it just as much as in the older days. Gen I also gave us some interesting, often symbolic, or just plain good looking mons, like the starters, Mewtwo, Pikachu, Ninetales, Arcanine, the Nidos and many, many more.

That's what I think. Sorry for the tl;dr. :<

Generation 2 still wins for me. Day/Night, new pokemon, how the storyline was a direct continuation of Gen. 1 and in terms of new features and originality, Generation 2's been my favorite Gen since I was a kid. It would be better to ask me what I think the 2nd best generation is.

Honestly, I'm not shocked that the 3rd generation is the most popular choice because it was like that last generation with Generation II. In Generation VI, it's likely Generation IV will be the popular choice. :D

I chose Generation III for its unique feel to it and overall awesomeness. Then the rest of the list goes in this order:
II
V
IV
I

I think I will have to go with gen I. For me as a first grader it was amazing, I spent so much time playing red, blue and yellow (yeah I had all 3 :p ) Also honestly in gen 1 Is the only gen where I remember all the cities, the gym leaders, the actually badge names, the music! I can't do much of that for any other generation. It just has stuck with me so much That I have to go with that as my favorite generation, I don;t think it will really change for me

Generation I
- The pokemons are more inspired and creative. The English names are all well thought too. The myths and false "cheats" were all very amusing.

Generation III would be the runner up.

For me it's a tie between Gen's II, IV, and V. Gen II is the first pokemon game I ever owned or played (and the first handheld game I even touched). Plus I loved the 8-bit music. Gen IV brought the physical/speical split which in my opinion, is the best thing to ever happen to pokemon. And Gen V is amazing to me because there is not one single pokemon that was introduced in it that I don't like.

Gen II, for me, is the best. I still think it bought some of the best Pokémon, design-wise as well as usage-wise, and the story wasn't overly complicated. I like the storylines that the games have nowadays, but I still love the simple story of Gen I and II more - the "saving the world" stuff gets old quickly. I still play Silver sometimes, and I usually find myself playing it more often than Black or any of the more modern games. The music, too - I love the music from the old games much more than the stuff they use now.

Gen V by far. One of the main reasons is because once a new Gen is released, the old Gens are dead to me.

4th and 5th are my favorites. 4th for the new gameplay mechanics, 5th for its new Pokemon. :)

Please note: The thread is from 11 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom