• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

VG Weekly Poll #36 Do you like the changes to the EXP system in Black and White?

Do you like the changes to the EXP system in Black and White?

• Yes

Votes: 74 77.9%
  • No

Votes: 21 22.1%

• Total voters
I like it while the pokemon are still young, but as I get into the higher levels, I start to want more exp per battle. I'm feeling ambivalent about it.

No, it turns grinding a mon to lvl 100 a pain.
Yeah, but to me it's worth it. It's a pain in the neck but once that Pokemon hits 100, the sense of accomplishment... I will never forget the immense pride I felt when Riser hit 100. Never was I prouder my darling sweet Golurk. :awww:

So yeah, I like the new system. It makes leveling up a bit of a challenge which I find father fun. (I must be weird.)

There are a lot of Pokémon I only want to evolve without training.
The new EXP system helps speed up the process greatly.

I think it's for the better, as when I'm trying to evolve a Pokemon quickly in the post-game, I can just go and battle the trainers in the two Nimbasa stadiums and you'll be able to do it after a battle or two. Though it also means that Lv. 1-10 Pokemon give literally a few EXP points to a Lv. 50 Pokemon, but oh well.

I liked the change in exp system. I for one like my entire team to be around the same level, and this system made it hard for one pokemon to level up too quickly relative to the rest. I do agree getting them to level 100 may take a little longer, but it makes it easier to get evolutions quicker when all you need is the dex entry.

I don't like the new system, because I feel my Pokemon level up slowly. I don't even have a lv.100 Pokemon yet, but in Soul Silver I have some.

If it's true that low-level Pokemon level up faster and high-level Pokemon slower, then this new system must be very bad, because you don't want to level up fast at the beginning of the game if you still wish the game to be challenging. However, when you reach the end, you want to level up fast, because then you knocks out everything pretty easy anyway. I've always experienced that you level up fairly quickly at the beginning of the Pokemon games, and fighting higher level Pokemon you sometimes get two levels at once, so there is no need to speed up the level-up for low-level Pokemon. Of course it depends on how many Pokemon you have to train. I'm playing PM Green with all Pokemon I can get, and the levelling up is very slow. However, with the large set of Pokemon to choose from, perhaps I don't need such high levels.

I find the new exp system annoying, because I want to battle different kinds of Pokemon lest the game will get boring. But the level of the Pokemon is very low in some areas and I don't get much exp when passing through these areas. I'm lucky I found the trainers in Raimon City, so I can fight them everyday, otherwise I'm not sure I would have the patience to play BW.

People can talk crap on Gen V all they want, but It was SOOOO easy filling up the dex, the EXP system in the game is fantastic

I think it's a great change, especially for weak Pokemon, and if you're training high-level Pokemon, there's always the Lucky Egg...

No, definitely not, as training pokemon at low levels was and has always been incredibly easy, lucky egg can already be obtained through the ability pick up and when I got another one through the story line I felt ripped off of all my hard work with that. On top of that lucky egg has always been obtainable, so it's not like it has been added to compensate for the lack of experience later... If they had of had the foresight to put in trainers with higher level pokemon, then maybe it could work, but as it is, the cons of taking longer to reach level 100 outweighs the benefit of quicker earlier training.
My advice is carry around 5 level 41+ Lillipups with Pick Up ability (plus the pokemon you're training). This is because from level 41 upwards Lillipup has the best chance of holding a rare candy after battle, for a few free levels. As well as using your main pokemon holding a lucky egg. Then use the rare candies for the last couple of levels, don't waste them on the incredibly easy (and always have been!!) low level pokemon.
Oh and on a side note, I gave up on using a team of pokemon in this game... there wasn't enough exp when the wild pokemons levels became too far below the trainers... so I switched to just using Emboar and breezed through. Though I had to use 10 rare candies (from my Lillipups before I beat the E4... making it level 74...)

They'd need to add a few trainers with at least level 90 Pokemon for me to totally get behind it.
I like the idea in principle, but I like having high level Pokemon more.

I think it was okay. It helped keep the team's levels equalized. Normally the levels of one or two would always be ahead of the others by a huge margin. But now that doesn't happen, since either the ones leading don't get too much exp as to make their levels shoot up, or the ones lagging a bit get more and eventually catch up. I was also forced to rotate more and not rely on just one pokémon in every battle, and I think that was good.

I don't have a level 100 yet, though, so this is one of the downsides.

Uch, aye and naw. I went for yes because it feels like a more fluid and advanced system; but it's a little awkward for levelling Pokémon once they're all 20 levels higher than everything else.

anges to the EXP system in Black and White?

Yeah, it was okay at first, but now I can't find any place suitable to train my main team in their 70s to higher levels. Achroma has been my punching bag ever since XDD But it's troublesome to just get to the P2lab everyday

I don't like to grind on E4s because I can't leave without winning all the way or losing a lot of money

With black tower lvl 80+ pokemon, pass powers x2 exp plus lucky eggs lvling is still easy at high lvls and is a 30minute job to get to 50.

Yes and no. Yes because getting a raising a low level Pokemon to level 50 or so is a matter of minutes now. No because after a certain level, raising Pokemon is getting pretty tough. Especially in Black, where there are very few trainers to battle post main story.

Please note: The thread is from 11 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom