• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

VG Weekly Poll #42 Who is your Favourite Rival?

Who is your favourite rival?

• Blue (Red/Blue/Green/Yellow)

Votes: 31 23.7%
  • Silver (Gold/Silver/Crystal/HeartGold/SoulSilver)

Votes: 37 28.2%
  • Brendan/May (Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald)

Votes: 8 6.1%
  • Wally (Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald)

Votes: 4 3.1%
  • Barry (Diamond/Pearl/Platinum)

Votes: 22 16.8%
  • Cheren (Black/White)

Votes: 15 11.5%
  • Bianca (Black/White)

Votes: 6 4.6%
  • Hugh (Black/White 2)

Votes: 8 6.1%

• Total voters

Oswin

Reaction score
Hello Everynyan! Welcome to the forty-second instalment in the Video Games Forum's new weekly series of polls!

Centered around the Pokemon series of video games, these polls will be based on the various different aspects of the popular video game franchise. Every Monday, a Video Games staff member will post a new poll that'll remained stickied up on top of the forum. Suggestions for polls and questions can be sent to Joshawott or Zeb and they could possibly used for new polls (credit will be given, of course).

With that out of the way, here is the poll: Who is your favourite rival, and why?

Past Polls of the Week

01) Was Black and White a step in the right direction?
02) Did you agree with N's ideals?
03) Favourite Generation?
04) Do you EV train?
05) Favourite Grass-type starter?
06) Was the Battle Tower/Subway too hard?
07) Favourite Spin-Off Series?
08) Favourite Fire/Fighting type starter?
09) Who was the hardest Gym Leader?
10) Primary, Secondary of Tertiary Version?
11) Do you use the Pokémon Global Link?
12) Do you like the Pokémon Dream World?
13) Creepiest Pokémon Resting Place?
14) Favourite Regional Professor?
15) Favourite Legendary Trio?
16) Favourite Early Bird?
17) Favourite Unova Gym Design?
18) Favourite Ice-type Trainer
19) Favourite Dragon-type Version Mascot
20) Initial Reaction to Pokémon + Nobunaga's Ambition?
21) Favourite Male Playable Character?
22) Favourite Villainous team?
23) Favourite Early Rodent?
24) Favourite Fossil Pokémon?
25) Most Anticipated 3DS Feature?
26) Favourite Female Playable Character?
27) Thoughts on the Doctor and Nurse trainer classes?
28) Do you nickname your Pokémon?
29) Do you use sacrifical moves?
30) Which Kyurem form is your favourite?
31) Should Black 2 and White 2 have been on the 3DS?
32) Do you participate in official VGC events?
33) Which type needs more attention?.
34) Would you like to see Pokémon + Nobunaga's Ambition localised?.
35) Will we see any new pokemon in B2W2?
36) Do you like the changes to the EXP system in Black and White?
37) Are you willing to pay the price for Pokédex 3D Pro?
38) Which currently released Mythical Pokémon do you want the most?
39) Would you agree with paid DLC in Pokémon?
40) Do nature and IVs matter to you?
41) Are you content with Pokémon's online?

Thank you for voting!

-The Video Games Forum Staff

N isn't on here, this poll is invalid. Lol just kidding. I think N belongs in his own category, anyways.

I voted for Silver. I liked his character development.

The hyperactive Barry is my favourite. He manages to be a very amusing and fun character without being an asshole (unlike Blue or Silver) and actually feels like your friend, but he still has a powerful team of Pokemon, (Unlike Brendan or May) and is potentially the strongest in-game trainer in the series.

He gains extra points for eventually using the awesome Snorlax. The irony of such an impatient person using such a lazy Pokemon in his team is delicious.

I think I like Wally the best. He seems the most different to me, and I liked his shy-ish personality.

Probably Cheren. He had panache and I kind of like the kind of cool, distanced characters as rivals. also didn't hurt that he's the best-looking of the bunch

Blue, you cannot ignore his girth, plus the fact that he was a former champion in the Kanto region.

Uh, this is a tough decision for me.... It's really close between three really different rivals: Silver, Barry, and Cheren. I guess I'll give this one to Cheren though. He had probably one of the most believable and complex character motivations for going on his Pokemon journey and it was really interesting to watch him mature along the way. yeah and he's also really pretty

Barry is definitely my fave. He has a funny charisma about him, and his development in Platinum was really nice. He learned to take it steady, instead of rushing headlong into the fray with no patience.

Wally is a close second. He IS rather flat compared to other rivals, but his character is still a very interesting one for a rival. A shy and weakly person who bonds with Pokemon to become stronger spiritually. RSEmakes would really expand on that I know they could

Cheren is my favorite, though I was so close to voting Bianca. He is possibly one of the roundest rivals in the Pokemon games. He has his flaws and learns from his mistakes, something rivals in the past didn't have.

I'm gonna go through all the rivals just because I can.

Blue annoys me, as you go through the entire game being better than him, but then he becomes the champion before you (and he takes back the title when you defeat him), and he becomes a gym leader in Gen II and IV (instead of you, who beat him in Gen I and III), and he says "Smell ya later!" every time you meet him. Which is a terrible catchphrase.

Silver's such a badass, and he knows how Pokemon should be used (for battling, not for love and friendship), and he also knows when to give up. Though I hate how after every battle with him, he always insists that he's better than you. Yeah, right.

As for May? She's a terrible rival who gives up battling mid-way through the game. And she's just too kind for a rival. A rival should steal your Fly HM and Go-Goggles, not GIVE THEM TO YOU! As for Wally... he's alright later on in the game, but early on, all he has is a Ralts (and an unevolved Ralts isn't going to get you very far). And I hate when you go through all that trouble to find a Ralts in RSE, when Wally finds one straight away.

Barry isn't bad, but his constant excitement and recklessness does get on my nerves. But other than that, he's fine.

Cheren is my favourite rival. I like how he looks, he's intelligent, he learns from his mistakes, etc. Plus, he becomes a gym leader in BW2 (and that's not as annoying as Blue becoming a gym leader, because at least Cheren's only the first gym leader). I don't mind Bianca, but once again her constant excitement gets on my nerves sometimes (just like Barry).

blue, cus hes the originol!!11!!

But really, I just like him the most for some reason, he's such an awesome jerk. But I like all the rivals with the exception of May/Brendan.

I voted Cheren, but him and Bianca come close to a tie for me. They both undergo realistic character development during the first BW games and are extremely relatable. Learning how grandiose goals aren't always the answer and finding your identity and niche in society are both important things.

Bonus points to Cheren for his looks and his potential role in BW2. I can't wait to see how both of them turn out in the sequels.

Blue is my favorite, easily. He's everything a good Rival should be.

Blue and Siler. Brenden and May on, all rivals were childhood friends.

Brendan and May weren't childhood friends, as the player character had just moved to Littleroot Town and was originally from the Johto region.

I'd consider N to be the "rival" in BW, since the story keeps drawing a parallel and he's basically the cetral character. In that case, I'd say him.

But otherwise... Silver. I like how he actually undergoes a noticeable character development during the game, and he has an appealing concept and engaging story, being the son of Giovanni and all.

I voted for Silver because I enjoy all of the battles against him and I like how he's a bit conflicted and actually changes over the course of the game and he's at least not annoying like some of the others. I like the Pokemon he uses as well. The guy has taste.

Wally! Only because I remember fondly the gen 3 games, and I always liked Wally. I liked how he had a ralts too, that was a cool Pokemon and he was actually a little different to most of the rivals you get. He was shy and sick and interesting in my opinion.

Please note: The thread is from 11 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom