• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

VG Weekly Poll #42 Who is your Favourite Rival?

Who is your favourite rival?

• Blue (Red/Blue/Green/Yellow)

Votes: 31 23.7%
  • Silver (Gold/Silver/Crystal/HeartGold/SoulSilver)

Votes: 37 28.2%
  • Brendan/May (Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald)

Votes: 8 6.1%
  • Wally (Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald)

Votes: 4 3.1%
  • Barry (Diamond/Pearl/Platinum)

Votes: 22 16.8%
  • Cheren (Black/White)

Votes: 15 11.5%
  • Bianca (Black/White)

Votes: 6 4.6%
  • Hugh (Black/White 2)

Votes: 8 6.1%

• Total voters
Silver is my favourite rival.
I feel like he just makes sense as a rival-type character: he drives you crazy and he's a total jerk, but he actually develops as the game progresses. He doesn't become a good guy, but he's not the same as he was when the game started, which is believable development in my opinion.
He's not one-dimensional, and because of this I was actually interested in Silver's character, whereas I just wanted the other rivals to go away and stop following me around :)

Just saying, why is Blue only in Red, Blue, Green and Yellow? He was in FRLG as well...
Anyway, I chose Silver.

T'was pretty hard to decide between Bianca and Blue, but what can I say, nostalgia came over me and so I picked Blue.

After playing through White 2 in a language I understand lol, I must say Hugh has really jumped to the top of my list for how unique his character is among the previous rivals we had. I called him Azul in my game as a nod to the first rival, Blue, because I thought he might be a bit of a jerk like Blue. But Azul isn't, he isn't like Blue or anyone else.

Really now, I like the driving force behind Azul's character and rage. He's not your rival, he's more like your partner! He doesn't want to become strong to best the player, he actually asks the player to support HIM. His desire to become stronger isn't for selfish reasons, but it's for his little sister, who had her Purrlion stolen from her 5 years ago. His fierce desire to avenge her would strike the heart of any doting elder sibling, like me; I know I'd be doing the same thing he does if I were him.

... I am sorry, Silver, but you are not my favorite anymore.
Hugh is now and Bianca is the second. They are just too awesome.

In terms of preference, my TOP would be:

1.) Hugh: I love everything about him. From his unique and epic design to his way of training his team (In Undella he has only 3 Pokémon with him, when you most likely already has 6, but the levels of his Pokémon are high!). His personality is very interesting too. He is at the same time a rude and angry character, but with a soft and caring side. He is not a traumatized jerk like Silver or a douche-for-no-reason like Blue. He is just way too angry about what... well, I will be not spoiling B2W2 here. Plus, I must say his battle theme is just too damn awesome.

2.) Bianca: Yeah, let me be honest: I love Bianca as a character. I can relate a lot with her because I had trouble deciding what would I do with my life and to be honest, unlike her, I still have troubles with this subject. xD Anyway, her character development was very good, since she is basically Brendan/May done right. I like teh fact that even thought she is Juniper's assistant, she still battle in certain occasions, like in the PWT (considering that PWT is canon, but I doubt it is...). She has a pretty unique design for a rival too and unlike some people, I love her and Cheren's battle theme.

3.) Silver: He is basically the best thing about GSCHGSS, my least favorite Pokémon games. I wish he would make a cameo in the next generation games :[

4.) Cheren: As Bianca, Cheren had a very cool character development. I just don't like THAT much. xD

5.) Jun (I refuse to call him Barry, sorry): Well, he is funny... and... well, that is it.

6.) Brendan: Meh. :mallet:

7.) Blue: ...Why people like this douche is beyond me. xD

Silver :3

Even if he didn't have much personality, he at least had a little character developement...and he's pretty cool in Pokemon Special/Adventures

I'm changing my mind and saying Hugh. He's got incredible characterisrics, and his development is either better or on par with Cheren

Barry for me. I liked how he was not only a rival, but also a friend, unlike SOME people (cough...Silver.....cough) And yes, his being hyperactive also made him a humorous rival. Wally and Silver also deserve a lot of credit, though, for their great backstories and roles in the game. People may hate me for saying this, but I thought Blue was just meh.

I really like Hugh. I loved his backstory, his development throughout the game and his personality. Plus, his design is amazing imo. The only thing I didn't like much was his main team. My second favorite is Barry, while my least favorite would be Blue.

Barry is my favourite. He runs around like his trousers are on fire!! Laugh out loud!!

Voted for Cheren, since I like his development, and the same could be said for Bianca and Silver, they're great too.

Don't have a real fave. Voted Cheren just because of his friendly-yet-powerful attitude

Silver all the way! :3
He was my favorite rival ever. When I played Soulsilver the first time I was shocked at how he acted. I definitely thought (after being with Barry for awhile xD) that he'd be like Barry or somebody. However, he wasn't. I loved how at the near end of the game he starts to become nice and realizes what he's doing to his Pokemon, so he changes! So yeah, I definitely love him more then the others. ;3 (Not to mention the fact he's so hot. I mean, look at him. How can you NOT love that face? :eek:)
Wally is my second. He's so cute! I love his shy-ish personality and kindness. :D
Barry is my third. He was the first rival I ever played against. Even though he was a pain in my arse, I still liked him. ;3
And then all the Gen 5 rivals are my fourth, fifth, sixth, etc... I'm not a fan of Blue/May, to be honest. May is just...eh, bland. And Blue is just overrated. >.< (Don't hate on me for this!)
I was shocked when I came on this poll. I thought for sure everybody would vote for Blue. Gwah, I'm so happy Silver is getting so much love. ♥ He really deserves it. ;D

Blue for me. I like Hugh and Silver a lot as well though. Blue is everything a rival is, because he gives you competition and isn't one of those people with a push-over personality.

I dislike Barry, a lot. I dislike his personality.

(So glad N isn't on this poll. Not because I dislike him, but because I just get annoyed when he's listed among rivals). So anyway:

My favorite rival is Barry, with Blue and Silver close behind. These are the three I felt were the most rival-like. You wanted to beat them and they acted like rivals. Barry takes the cake because he's adding his own hilariousness to the plot and I love his hyperactivity. Blue was just the original jerk, he's basically how we (or at least I) base the other rivals on how they should be. I think Silver was just a one-up of Blue, being even more of a jerk. He was one you wanted to beat, but he's just a total douche always claiming he's better when he can't even win.

Next are Wally and Cheren. I get that Wally wasn't really a rival until the end of the game, but at least he improved and kept at it (unlike Brendan/May). And it was because he wanted to be as good as you, so I consider him a good rival. Cheren was good, too, but like the others in Unova, he suffers from seeming too much like a friend than a rival. Personally, in a rival, I look for someone I want to beat, though can still be helpful (like Barry) at times. But I think they overdid the friendliness in BW (which makes sense for the plot, so I won't complain too much).

Brendan was...well, he was better than May. Both of them sort of suck for quitting halfway through, but at least Brendan was somewhat rival-like. He was a bit sexist, and mentioned that Norman looked like a challenge, unlike May. May was too nice and unsure of herself.

I absolutely hated Bianca and Hugh. I barely thought of Bianca as a rival. Battling just isn't her thing and her character is just too ditzy for me. And she's even friendlier than Cheren. I just really don't like Bianca. And Hugh...my gosh Hugh. I'll try to be brief on my hatred of him: you team up with him more than you fight him, a quality I don't find very rivalish. Plus, I hate his personality: he's basically making you do all his work for him or with him. (This is the most obvious after you beat Marlon. He says that you can go to the league now, but Team Plasma comes first. It's basically: "Oh, I see you're ready to finally challenge the league like YOU want to, but you need to save MY sister's Purrloin with me, first.") I'm basically just someone to "have his back" for him because he knows he can't do anything alone. He's a total ass.

Please note: The thread is from 11 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom