• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

VG Weekly Poll #43 Favourite Water-type starter?

Favourite Water-type starter?

• Squirtle

Votes: 21 16.2%
  • Totodile

Votes: 30 23.1%
  • Mudkip

Votes: 30 23.1%
  • Piplup

Votes: 31 23.8%
  • Oshawott

Votes: 18 13.8%

• Total voters

Oswin

Reaction score
Hello Everynyan! Welcome to the forty-third instalment in the Video Games Forum's new weekly series of polls!

Centered around the Pokemon series of video games, these polls will be based on the various different aspects of the popular video game franchise. Every Monday, a Video Games staff member will post a new poll that'll remained stickied up on top of the forum. Suggestions for polls and questions can be sent to Joshawott or Zeb and they could possibly used for new polls (credit will be given, of course).

With that out of the way, here is the poll: What is your favourite Water-type starter, and why?

Past Polls of the Week

01) Was Black and White a step in the right direction?
02) Did you agree with N's ideals?
03) Favourite Generation?
04) Do you EV train?
05) Favourite Grass-type starter?
06) Was the Battle Tower/Subway too hard?
07) Favourite Spin-Off Series?
08) Favourite Fire/Fighting type starter?
09) Who was the hardest Gym Leader?
10) Primary, Secondary of Tertiary Version?
11) Do you use the Pokémon Global Link?
12) Do you like the Pokémon Dream World?
13) Creepiest Pokémon Resting Place?
14) Favourite Regional Professor?
15) Favourite Legendary Trio?
16) Favourite Early Bird?
17) Favourite Unova Gym Design?
18) Favourite Ice-type Trainer
19) Favourite Dragon-type Version Mascot
20) Initial Reaction to Pokémon + Nobunaga's Ambition?
21) Favourite Male Playable Character?
22) Favourite Villainous team?
23) Favourite Early Rodent?
24) Favourite Fossil Pokémon?
25) Most Anticipated 3DS Feature?
26) Favourite Female Playable Character?
27) Thoughts on the Doctor and Nurse trainer classes?
28) Do you nickname your Pokémon?
29) Do you use sacrifical moves?
30) Which Kyurem form is your favourite?
31) Should Black 2 and White 2 have been on the 3DS?
32) Do you participate in official VGC events?
33) Which type needs more attention?.
34) Would you like to see Pokémon + Nobunaga's Ambition localised?.
35) Will we see any new pokemon in B2W2?
36) Do you like the changes to the EXP system in Black and White?
37) Are you willing to pay the price for Pokédex 3D Pro?
38) Which currently released Mythical Pokémon do you want the most?
39) Would you agree with paid DLC in Pokémon?
40) Do nature and IVs matter to you?
41) Are you content with Pokémon's online?
42) Who is your favourite rival?

Thank you for voting!

-The Video Games Forum Staff

Mudkip! I remember when I first played Sapphire I was completely drawn to choosing one. I think it being called the 'mudfish pokemon' is really cute, and I'm also a big fan of Marshtomp and Swampert. I like their typing too and if I could have one in my team, I definitely would. I'm not a fan of Oshawott or Piplup, really, and I just prefer Mudkip over both Squirtle and Totodile, even though those two would come in joint second.

Piplup has always been the most appealing to me. It's just so lovely and squishy and cute, plus Empoleon can be quite useful in battle. But mainly it's cute.

As much as I hate to admit it, Mudkip and its evolutions is my favourite. Swampert is a very bulky and powerful Pokemon and the best Water/Ground Pokemon of all. Immensely useful both in-game (due to no Grass-type leaders in Hoenn) and for the metagame.

My favorite is Feraligatr—due to both nostalgia and a great design. It's probably my second favorite starter overall, next to Blaziken.

I didn't have to deal with Electric types thanks to him, and Grass types were very easy; I loved Mudkip and its evolutions.

I was the only one who chose Oshawott? I chose Oshawott, not because of Oshawott, but it's evolutions. Dewott looked so cool with its two scalchop and Samurott is just EPIC!

^ Not anymore.

The reason I chose Oshawott, is mostly because of the samurai concept of the whole line.

I like how it's a little somewhat puny-looking guy with a blade shell, turns into a cool ronin-type of character, and then into a samurai warlord. They are all neat designs too, and like the other Gen V pokémon it shows a lot of personality.
Really, I love the Gen V's starters.

It is also of the few Water types I can say I really, really like at a personal level, not just tolerate.

The rest... Piplup>Squirtle>Totodile≫≫≫≫≫≫≫≫≫Mudkip(z)

Last edited:
All water starters are great, but Squirtle and I will always have a special thing together. Its evolutionary line was my favorite a very long time, like ten years Squirtle, Wartortle and Blastoise kept my number one favorite pokémon place busy. The whole evolutionary family is just a pure classic, their simple and cute and yet really badass design is something you can't forget. I love it how plain and simple Blastoise's design is, but the same time it looks amazingly strong and epic.

Mudkip. It was my first ever starter (on Emerald) and Swampert is just a beast. I don't like Piplup thanks to the Anime (although Empoleon is awesome), Squirtle line would be better with better stats, Totodile line kinda sucks (especially before Gen IV), and the only one in Oshawott's line is Samurott.

I've gone with Totodile. It's the cutest and I have a soft spot for Ash's.

Piplup.

I just luv him. <3 And not only because of Dawn, but she helped.

My favorite is mudkip based purely on it's water/ground evolutions. I've always preferred having only one weakness (even if it's 4x) and having an immunity over having multiple weaknesses. It's just easier to watch out for that way.

I like pretty much all of them except for Piplup, but I voted for Mudkip because.... I liek Mudkipz :3

Please note: The thread is from 11 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom