• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

VG Weekly Poll #5: Favorite Grass-type starter?

Which is your favorite Grass-type starter?

• Total voters
I am saying snivy, because he looks so cool. I have played all the generations and I remember when I first saw him I thought a deffinate yes, The only other grass starter I had picked was a chikorita in gold I think. But this time I actually really badly wanted the grass starter, even though I usually choose fire he just looks so cool and also because he is a snake and from childhood i always thought snakes and other reptiles were very cool and I still do.

I'm only kinda dissapointed that Serperior wasn't named Coilord but, well, Serperior is kinda faithful to the Japanese name anyway.

I think they should have named it Snilord. It's related to snivy and rhymes with milord.

Bulbasaur's my favourite since all three of it's stages look great. Plus it's been around since the very start.
Snivy is second. It's everything Treecko has never managed to be. It loses because of Servine.
Turtwitg third. Very useful guy.
Treecko fourth. It has a great design,as it's first evo,but Sceptile is a fail.
Chikorita is last. For me,it always remained in the shadow of the other two Johto starters. Bayleef looks great,but then it turns into a Meganium whose design is just poor compared to it's pre-evos.

Last edited:
Chickorita will always be my favourite, its adorable and gets a lot of hate for no reason. I also love Treeko (well Sceptile andyway) and Snivy.

Turtwig is my favourite for a few reasons. It is the the only Grass-type starter I have ever chosen. It was my first Pokemon (literally) and its evolutions have good designs and Torterra is a cool typing.

Turtwig, which is actually also the best of the all starters imo. Torterra looks awesome, I loved its perfect design from the first sight. The 4th gen was actually the first generation, where I picked up a grass starter over the water one ♥.

I'm glad this was a multi-choice poll, the odd number gen grass types are all my favs for different reasons. But, if I had to choose a number one, it's the Bulbasaur family all the way. Playing with or against it, Venusaur's bulkiness and tricks it can pull in a pinch battle never ceases to amaze me.

I went with Snivy, as all 5 of them are still bleh for me. Snivy, even though it's essentially Treecko with better curves. Or something. I dunno why, I just like it more than Treecko, and it's evo's are better.

I've never started with a Grass pokemon (Only Gen IV had me with Water, all other's have been Fire)

Oh goody. Grass starters almost always my favourites so this will be fun.

Turtwig hands down. Not only is it adorable, it's the only one with a unique type combination when fully evolved. It's done me well in battle as well, both in game and against people. My shiny torterra was also the one that go me my shiny leaf crown. :3

Chikorita was my favorite starter period for a long time. It's adorable and it doesn't get enough credit. I'm actually surprised it's doing so well in the poll so far, all I ever see is people putting it down.

I'm among the people who grew attached to snivy quickly. Based purely on first evolutions it's actually tied with oshawotta as my favorite fifth gen starter (which is rare for me) but their final evolutions and my best friend picking oshawott made the decision easier.

I feel weird putting bulbasaur so low on a list. I still love them but there are too many faults, the horribly common type combination (especially in the generation it comes from) takes away points for me. Not because I'm a hipster, because I kind of feel like I sound like one for liking bulba less for common typing and torterra more for unique typing, I just like when I get to play with different advantages and disadvantages and you can only do the same ones so many times.

Treecko... I don't understand it's popularity at all. The designs of it and its evolutions don't appeal to me in the least so I'm always confused when people say they look cool when I could actually go so far as to say I consider them hideous. Its movepool is good I guess but I don't know how anyone looked at all three third gen starters and picked the ugly lizard. Yes I know not everyone likes cute things best but its design falls flat next to the other two for reasons other than cuteness. I mean I don't think I actually like any of the third gen starters but at least the other two are cute in their first forms if nothing else. Their final forms are also much more badass than sceptile, at least in my opinion. I think I'm just sad that this is the only gen where the grass starter is my absolute least favorite of the three.

Wow that was a long answer when I was only asked about the first one. I clearly talk too much even more than I thought I did. ._.

Snivy. Snivy's design is unique and original, and Serperior is also the most useful Pokémon competitive wise.

Chikorita & evos. They're not very good competitively but I adore their designs. The grass starters are the most average ones in my opinion.

Snivy. Snivy's design is unique and original, and Serperior is also the most useful Pokémon competitive wise.
That's wrong.
Venusaur is far better competitively.
Nah, Glaciate is generally right. Venusaur may be or may have been a threat in UU ( I don't know how UU is this gen, as it has gotten sizeably larger), but Serperior is a better fit for OU and Ubers. (UU is a cleansed environment.) Venusaur's typing isn't too helpful, mostly because it removes the Ground-resist (though it can be handy for Toxic Spikes). Serperior also has a few handy attacks like Pursuit and Dragon Tail, and those two combined make Serperior a great and unpredictable switch-in--especially late game. Serperior is also the second or third best Subseeder (behind Whimsicott and neck and neck with Sceptile), unless Shaymin-S is included in the discussion (who can pick up free turns with flinching).

Serperior is largely underrated.

I'm really not a fan of any of the grass type starters at all. But if I had to choose one, it'd probably be Bulbasaur.

Treecko, with Bulbasaur coming in a close second. 'Cause that's how I roll.

Nah, Glaciate is generally right. Venusaur may be or may have been a threat in UU ( I don't know how UU is this gen, as it has gotten sizeably larger), but Serperior is a better fit for OU and Ubers. (UU is a cleansed environment.) Venusaur's typing isn't too helpful, mostly because it removes the Ground-resist (though it can be handy for Toxic Spikes). Serperior also has a few handy attacks like Pursuit and Dragon Tail, and those two combined make Serperior a great and unpredictable switch-in--especially late game. Serperior is also the second or third best Subseeder (behind Whimsicott and neck and neck with Sceptile), unless Shaymin-S is included in the discussion (who can pick up free turns with flinching).

Serperior is largely underrated.

You're wrong.With chlorophyll,Venusaur is a top threat in OU this gen.While serperior is a UU.
Without its DW ability,Serperior isn't even viable for OU.And there are better pursuit trappers out there.Serperior is fairly predictable.

On the other hand Venusaur is a staple on sun teams.One of the best sun sweepers out there.

My favorite: Chikorita

I simply love Chikorita in the anime. She was entertaining. I love how she competes for Ash's attention.
I love her for knocking out or pushing off Pikachu, just so she can have Ash's attention, lmao
Her design also is too cute. She looks like a sock puppet.

I base my answer on the anime, as I don't like any of the grass starters in game.

The Grass starters are usually my favourites, and of them, Chikorita is the victor. A very appealing design, plus she often takes on the Cleric role in a team, which is unusual for a starter. She's no good competitively, but then neither are any of my favourites. Fear my EV'd Spinda >.>

Second place goes to Snivy. I love the design, though I didn't have quite as much fun using her in-game as I did with Chikorita.

Treecko. ANd why is Turtwig so low? but here's my list.

1.Treecko
2.Turtwig
3.Bulbasaur
4.Chikorita
5.Snivy.

Yes Snivy sucks eggs. It learns basically nothing but grass moves. At least Chikorita gets some diversity.

Please note: The thread is from 11 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom