• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

VG Weekly Poll #53 Should Gen VI introduce as many new Pokemon as Gen V did?

Should Gen VI introduce as many new Pokemon as Gen V did?

• Yes - I think around 150 is a good amount for it to bring.

Votes: 46 35.7%
  • No - 150 is way too many after Gen V's 150.

Votes: 62 48.1%
  • No - I want more than 150 new ones in Gen VI! The more pokemon the better!

Votes: 21 16.3%

• Total voters
Less baby pokémon pls, Gamefreak. Or even better, none at all!

Other than that, 100-110 seems reasonable enough for me.

While the franchise's only way to refresh itself is by introducing new collectable critters, we can all see the effect of that already with every way GF invents to flood out the pokémon that didn't make the games. I wouldn't want them to get ahead of themselves exhausting all too many future options, and I wouldn't want for the legends to lose their worth by topping the last ones and growing in numbers to fill out the years til the next batch.
I believe the current gen has spoiled us on everything, but will GF give us genII/IV to this? Probably. I'd say about 100 or so pokémon is justifiable, but having half of them hidden and up for reveal and download as the generation progress. As this would allow for a shorter number of legendaries.

I would say no because there is a pattern that the even-numbered gens introduced around 100 new Pokemon wheras the odd-numbered gens introduces the number of Pokemon close to 150.
Even though Game Freak have broken every other patten any way (for example, it wasn't a four year gen, there wasn't a third version game, and there weren't remakes as well)?

Just because they've broken some patterns now doesn't mean they need to go out of their way to break every single one. And gens being four years wasn't even a pattern, anyway.

Anyway, I think a smaller, 100-110 Pokemon gen would be fine.

I'd like only 100 or so Pokemon in the next gen, that just sounds like a good number to me. I wouldn't even mind if it was less than that, as long as the new Pokemon are well thought out.

Even though Game Freak have broken every other patten any way (for example, it wasn't a four year gen, there wasn't a third version game, and there weren't remakes as well)?
Stop, please. The generation did not end yet, you can't say how many years it lasted. Judging by the fact that Game Freak is developing a new non-Pokémon game for 2013, it is safe to assume that the new generation will be released only in 2014, when Generation V will be four years old.

Judging by the fact that Game Freak is developing a new non-Pokémon game for 2013, it is safe to assume that the new generation will be released only in 2014, when Generation V will be four years old.
This new game is going to be released in a few days for the eShop; it is not a fully-fledged game. Game Freak said in an interview that very few members of their staff were involved in the development. In light of this, it's safe to say that this release has no bearing on Generation VI.

I would prefer there to be at least 130. What irritates me so much about Gens II and IV is that they rely too much on previous generations monster-wise, and I prefer to not see a creature from a previous generation in a region that it doesn't originate from. I always found it weird to see Ponyta and Heracross in Sinnoh, or Pidgey and Yanmega (regardless of evolutionary relation) in Johto.

Stop, please. The generation did not end yet, you can't say how many years it lasted. Judging by the fact that Game Freak is developing a new non-Pokémon game for 2013, it is safe to assume that the new generation will be released only in 2014, when Generation V will be four years old.
Generation V will end next year. We have lots of different things proving that it will. One, next year's movie is starring Genesect, and as you can't just have one Pokemon starring in a movie, they'll probably throw in a Gen VI Pokemon or two like they've done with M2, M5, M8, M9, and M13. Second, all the games for Gen V have been released. The RS remakes will no doubt be for the 3DS, as releasing a remake of a game on the next system up is practically unheard of (except for Super Mario All Stars). Three, they can't release any more Gen V games anyway, as they'd have to be for the DS, and that will probably be dead by next year anyway. And as @Silktree; said, the new-non Pokemon game has no effect on Pokemon whatsoever. That game is an eShop game to be released next week.

While I love to have lots of new faces to enjoy, the next one should not be so abundant. I would much prefer to see some upgraded old faces because I love to see the direction in which they are upgraded. There were some interesting ideas in Generation 4, like prehistoric-themed evolutions and evolutions based on a specific gender (because the current ones looks too much like a specific one, like Gardevoir being more of a female one).

Thanks for reading.

At first I wanted Gen 6's region to be Unova's Johto but since they got sequels I don't want any more Unova stuff (other than remakes in like 17 years) as much as I love Unova. Maybe if the generation is more like gen 4 then gen 2 than I can dig it. But if they feel like releasing as much awesome cross gen evo's as in gen four I say just redo gen 5 I love gen five. And I really want more new dual type combo and repeats of dual type combo's that are only available via forms or legendaries.

I have nothing against more new Pokemon, nor the number of them introduced, Legendary or not. (as long as the total percentage of Legends stays below 10%, I have no problem with them adding more Legends) Though, I'd assume the reason why we got so many for Gen 5 was because there were no previous Pokemon until post-game. That was a cool way to handle Gen 5 and would be interesting if they did it again.

I originally voted yes because I think they should introduce 151 Pokémon, including at least 4 event Pokémon and at least 8 Legendary Pokémon, to make the total number of Pokémon in the National Pokédex 800 but reading other users' answers I think that a number of Pokémon close to 100 will be introduced in Generation VI because Generations II and IV introduced numbers close to 100 Pokémon after the previous generation introduced a number close to 150 Pokémon. Also this thread is nearly 2 weeks old. Will a new VG Weekly Poll thread be made soon?

We have no proof right now that Gen V will end next year... they could easily just release R/S remakes and end it in 2014... to say it will end next year and that it's 100% is sill..

But anyway I think Gen VI will be an 'expansion' Gen like II and IV were and have evo's and prevo's of Unova Pokemon (I predict an Audino Evo (and possibly Pre-Evo) and a baby Pokemon for Throh an Sawk (an possibly a 3rd member)) so maybe anywhere from 110-120 or so...

We have no proof right now that Gen V will end next year... they could easily just release R/S remakes and end it in 2014... to say it will end next year and that it's 100% is sill..

Releasing another game on the DS would be a terrible decision, as would making the jump to the 3DS in the middle of a generation. All the event Pokémon were revealed this year, and Gen III can still be played on the current generation's system. If RS remakes do happen, it won't be until after the main Gen 6 games, and those will most likely be coming late next year or early 2014. Is it 100% certain? No, but if Game Freak is smart, it's what will happen. Anything else would be idiotic. People were pissed off enough as it is that both BW and B2W2 were on the DS; Game Freak isn't likely to make that mistake again. I think the only people still pulling for more Gen 5 games are the ones who haven't bought a 3DS yet. That's not really Game Freak's problem, the DS is dead, and Pokémon is moving on, as it should. And expecting RS remakes or any other main series game on the 3DS this gen is even more absurd.

In regards to the number of Pokémon, I'm hoping they go the Gen II/IV route with new evos and pre-evos, but with the same overall number of Pokémon as Gen V. There are some Pokémon that desperately need evos, but I would hate for them to come at the price of taking up a third of the space in a tiny regional dex.

I would like too see around 120-150 new Pokemons in Generation 6 games.

Hopefully we could get a bunch of new pre-evolutions and evolutions of old pokemon.

I was a bit disappointed that we didn't get one in Generation 5 games.

It would be nice to get a mix of old and new pokemon and i hope that the pokedex is around 250-300 like in Black 2 and White 2 again.

Last edited:
I think that the tons of new Pokemon was a cool thing for this generation, but we shouldn't have that many brought in every time. I think it's good to just introduce abut 100 this time, so that we won't be overloaded.

I think 150 is too many to bring to the next new game, even if its set in another region. Remember when we only had to collect 150 Pokemon to get the satisfaction of having completely beaten the game? I did that once in Yellow and it was thrilling. Now completing the Pokedex is very hard and while that's not a bad thing, adding another 150 Pokemon usually means transferring everything from game to game just to 'catch 'em all'. That's hard for today's generation, especially if they're only just coming into the games.

100 or 101 (Including an event legendary, maybe) is more than enough and then just flesh it out with a few from other regions. I did really like the fact though that Unova in B/W was completely populated with its own Pokemon because that made it feel different to what had been before. However I would like to see some of the older Pokemon get new forms. We've had ones that change depending on what season it is or what weather it is - why not one who has a different look in a different region. You know, like real animals? And maybe throw in another Eevee evolution or two. Who among us would not like to see a Dragon-Eevee. :)

I always have a taste for something new so the more pokemon the better.

Please note: The thread is from 11 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom