• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

VGC Trick Room RMT

Reaction score
So I decided to take the plunge and try out VGC and it's been enjoyable. Messed around with a Discharge+Volt Absorb combo when I first started out but it felt too clunky and I switched over to a Trick Room team. I'm still getting the hang of the team and figuring out VGC so any and all feedback is welcome :)

chandelure.gif

Chandelure @ Focus Sash
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Trick Room
- Will-O-Wisp
- Heat Wave
- Shadow Ball​

My main Trick Room setter. Will-O-Wisp spreads burn around and helps play around Sucker Punch, with Heat Wave and Shadow Ball for STAB.

reuniclus.gif

Reuniclus @ Life Orb
Ability: Magic Guard
Quiet Nature
IVs: 30 Def / 30 SpA / 30 SpD / 2 Spe
- Hidden Power [Fighting]/Focus Blast
- Shadow Ball
- Protect
- Psychic
Special sweeper. Psychic for STAB and Shadow Ball to hit Ghost types or other Psychic Pokemon. Trying to figure out what should go for the Fighting-type slot, Focus Blast has not been very accommodating.

ludicolo-f.gif

Ludicolo @ Leftovers
Ability: Rain Dish
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Fake Out
- Leech Seed
- Protect
- Scald
Support Pokemon. Fake Out is good for protecting teammates and making sure Chandelure doesn't get KO'd before it uses Trick Room. Leech Seed to wear down opponents and heal Ludicolo and Scald prevents it from being Taunt bait and lets it spread some burns.

mawile-mega.gif

Mawile @ Mawilite
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Brave Nature
- Sucker Punch
- Play Rough
- Rock Slide
- Protect​

M-Mawile fits well in Trick Room and also provides extra utility thanks to Intimidate. Play Rough for STAB and Sucker Punch gives priority in and out of Trick Room. Rock Slide gives coverage against Fire types and helps in being able to hit and flinch both opposing Pokemon.

rotom-wash.gif

Rotom-Wash @ Choice Specs
Ability: Levitate
Quiet Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Volt Switch
- Dark Pulse
- Hidden Power [Fire]​

Another special sweeper. Hydro Pump and Volt Switch are for STAB and HP Fire lets it hit Steel types. Dark Pulse is mostly chosen for the flinch chance.

meowstic.gif

Meowstic (M) @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Trick Room
- Safeguard
- Psychic
- Light Screen​

Backup TR setter, usually in cases of Dark Void Smeargle *shudder* I've been messing around this slot the most, this used to be Espeon (Psychic influence is hard to get rid of :p) but Magic Bounce felt too unstable in blocking out Dark Void/Spore.

If you have any team members that you'd recommend I'll try them out, it does make it hard sometimes that half the team is weak to Dark/Ghost. Also still trying to get the hang of who to attack/when to use Protect...it's a whole other world compared to OU singles @_@ Thanks a lot for reading!

I hope you don't face many M-Kangaskhan or any Pokemon that knows Sucker Punch. Basically a field day for those Pokemon. Honestly I'd recommend a Specs Shadow Tag Gothitelle knowing Focus Blast just for M-Kanagskhan.

252+ SpA Choice Specs Gothitelle Focus Blast vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Mega Kangaskhan: 182-216 (100.5 - 119.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Pretty much the best way to take out M-Kanga as long as it can target something else with Sucker Punch or you get lucky with the 2.8% chance on the lowest die roll for damage. Best part about Gothitelle is that you could run it as a second TR setter.

Ferrothorn could be workable on your team if you are as worried about Mega Kangaskhan as TerraTF is, though Will-O-Wisp and Mawile are decent checks by themselves. Kangaskhan,from my experience, is not actually as intimidating as it seems, and many experienced VGC players actually fear M-Venasaur and M-Mawile more. I would also recommenced Lapras over Rotom-W, which too can function with Choice Specs if desired, with the benefit of reduced speed.

Additionally, not sure if you are already aware but due to Trick Room's abysmal priority (-7), even with Prankster, Meowstic will likely be moving last. AND HOW COULD YOU GET RID OF ESPEON SHARK!?

Last edited:
Haha I was reminded of Trick Room's priority when I tried to have Meowstic do it on the last turn of a 3HKO @_@

Haven't run into a lot of M-Kangas lately but I usually manage them with a burn after Trick Room, since they can't hit Chandelure with Power-Up Punch or Return they usually resort to Sucker Punch. It is true though that M-Venusaur was a threat to the team but Reuniclus has been able to KO it. I don't have a direct answer to M-Mawile so usually it comes down to whoever's ahead when that matchup happens.

I might try out Gothitelle as a TR setter, I've played against some effective sets using Tickle to weaken Pokemon while they abused Perish Song. Rotom-W was my go-to counter on opposing Talonflames but Lapras has the bulk to survive it as well so I'll give it a try...now I'll have access to more accurate Water STABs (I lost so many games because of Hydro Pump missing @_@)

Ah, yes, trusty Ferrothorn... Anyway, I only have one thought about this team at the moment: you need at least one other TR setter, because (in my experience) the Room tends to fail you when you need it most. I may offer some more advise in future, but for now, good luck, fellow Roomie. :)

@BadAssGardevoir Wellll I did get the idea for making a TR team and using Chandelure from watching your doubles replays :p

Tried out Gothitelle and Lapras just now, they held their own but they didn't get to do much because Gothitelle kept getting taunted and Lapras kept getting flinched (saving my M-Mawile from getting hit by Surf as it went to double-KO the opponent)

Well than, glad to see I inspired a you to become a Roomie, @shark. :)

Anyway, as for actual advise, if you're looking for a bulky Water type, I'd personally recomend Clawitzer or Carracosta, depending on wheather you want a Physical or Special attacker... Though the latter isn't legal in the current VGC format, so I'll just tell you my prefered set for Clawitzer;

Clawitzer @Lefties
Nature: Modest, EVs: 252 HP, the rest in the Defenses and Sp. Atk however you want
Ability: Mega Launcher
Water Pulse
Ice Beam
Aura Sphere
Heal Pulse

The main goal with this 'mon is to basicly hit hard while taking hits as well, but still be able to heal your teamate when things get rough and you are threatened with a Sucker Punch... That's all I have to say.

And as for another TR setter, I have seen a few teams using Arom... Aroma... That pink purfume bird thing as one, which is good if you're that worried about Taunters, but I'm afraid I can't offer you advice on how to use one becauuse I've not done so myself.

Please note: The thread is from 10 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom