• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

VGC ? Wi-Fi ? Legal, Legit , Illegal, Hacked ?

pika-JER-

Reaction score
I just recently got into trading over Wi-Fi and starting to battle ..
i find it very frustrating that i've been offered hacked illegal pokemon for my precious legit ones ...
there are even some that are so well-hacked that every single detail is exactly as if it is legit ...

here is the question : To what degree of hacking is it consider illegal in VGC and Wi-Fi ? If i got a hacked pokemon from trade and only keep it in the pc, will that disqualify me from VGC and Wi-Fi , or even worse crash my game ? Is a legit pokemon from a player that HAD used hack still legit ?

lets face it ... its very damm hard to avoid hacks ... x_x

I just recently got into trading over Wi-Fi and starting to battle ..
i find it very frustrating that i've been offered hacked illegal pokemon for my precious legit ones ...
there are even some that are so well-hacked that every single detail is exactly as if it is legit ...

here is the question : To what degree of hacking is it consider illegal in VGC and Wi-Fi ? If i got a hacked pokemon from trade and only keep it in the pc, will that disqualify me from VGC and Wi-Fi , or even worse crash my game ? Is a legit pokemon from a player that HAD used hack still legit ?

lets face it ... its very damm hard to avoid hacks ... x_x

Having a hacked Pokemon in your pc won't do anything to your game,but placing one in your Battle Box would probably forbid you registering for the VGC. Also if you try to random matchup while having a hacked Pokemon,banned legendary or a Pokemon that knows sky drop in your party,the game tells you you can't connect. Also most hacks,especially obvious ones (eg. Lv.1 Zekrom) are blocked by the GTS if you try to trade them.

Hacks are pretty much impossible to trade over GTS. So, apparently you got hacks from people you exchanged friend codes with. In that scenario, you can always complain to the mods of the forum from where you got it.

It is in fact pretty easy to avoid hacks. There are many hack-checkers available over the internet. If you discover a hack, just raise a hue and cry.

Hacks are allowed in wifi-battles as long as they are within the legal limits, like having 510 evs, etc.

tell me more about this hack-checker ... i heard of pokecheck ... but im not quite sure if its ok to use it ...
so does that mean the hacked pokemon is still treated as any normal pokemon as long as its stats , IV , EV , moveset, etc ... is still within its normal limits ?

tell me more about this hack-checker ... i heard of pokecheck ... but im not quite sure if its ok to use it ...
so does that mean the hacked pokemon is still treated as any normal pokemon as long as its stats , IV , EV , moveset, etc ... is still within its normal limits ?

Pokecheck is fine to use no problem at all. The site will detect the data of the Pokemon through GTS, when you use their DNS server and you can check the legality analysis of all the Pokemon you upload to the server. You can even print out the legality screen as proof the Pokemon is 100% legit and if there are any discrepancies at all with the Pokemon it will detect this.

The form looks like this screenshot:
pokecheck2.png

In future if you trade any Pokemon with friends over Wifi ask for the screenshot of the Pokemon's legality form to see if it's legit before you trade and if they refuse you pretty much know not to trust them. Hope this helps ^^

Last edited:

Pokecheck is fine to use no problem at all. The site will detect the data of the Pokemon through GTS, when you use their DNS server and you can check the legality analysis of all the Pokemon you upload to the server. You can even print out the legality screen as proof the Pokemon is 100% legit and if there are any discrepancies at all with the Pokemon it will detect this.

pokecheck2.png

In future if you trade any Pokemon with friends over Wifi ask for the screenshot of the Pokemon's legality form to see if it's legit before you trade and if they refuse you pretty much know not to trust them. Hope this helps ^^

I got a good question, I just Pokechecked my sister's Torchic and I get a screen RNG abuse or edited Pokemon quote under the IVs section, does that mean its hacked or is it legit?

pokecheck2.png

I got a good question, I just Pokechecked my sister's Torchic and I get a screen RNG abuse or edited Pokemon quote under the IVs section, does that mean its hacked or is it legit?

Well it generally means the Pokemon's data has been edited some where along the way. I personally wouldn't trust it. ^^

Or it could be a false alarm, like how Generation II's rule against inbreeding Pokemon meant there was a roughly 1 in 256 chance that unrelated male and female Pokemon would refuse to breed together. But it's impossible to know for sure. Any checker can flag things as either 'impossible' (e.g. hacked moves or abilities) or 'improbable' (technically possible to occur normally, just at a very low probability), depending on the algorithms it uses to determine legitimacy.

Of course, if you're losing sleep over the possibility I suppose you can "launder" the Pokemon through the Daycare (breed it and raise the offspring). That is what I did with a Zorua I got over the GTS in White 1 (not so much for concerns of hacks, actually, but more because I just wanted a Zorua with me registered as its OT).

I believe "This Pokémon is likely edited or RNG abused" indicates an IV total of between 150-186, i.e. "Outstanding" potential. It is not a reliable indicator of a Pokémon being hacked or not - N's Pokémon all display this (from having all 30s across the board).

Some examples...

Consider that IVs range from 0 to 31 (2^5). The chances of encountering a Pokemon with perfect IVs in the wild would be 1 out of 2^30 (approximately one billion and comparable to winning the lottery), making it safe to assume it was hacked. Now if we assume "near-perfect" IVs (30 or 31 each) the chances are odds are slightly better . . . at 1 out of 16 million.

But now let's talk breeding. A baby always inherits three IVs from the parents (and you can guarantee one of them via items), so if you know a Pokemon has one perfect IV (which will happen 1 out of 32) you can guarantee it gets inherited. However, that still leaves 3 IVs decided completely at random, giving a 1 in 2^15 (1 in 32,767) chance that those IVs can be all perfect. Which is four times less likely than encountering a Shiny in the wild, and still fairly safe to call it a hack. If we substitute "near perfect" (30 or 31) then the probability becomes 2^12 (1 in 4096, twice that of a wild Shiny).

...So maybe the Pokemon just had more than two perfect IVs? (Even though the baby has three of six IVs generated randomly, there's a roughly 10% chance that one of those three can be perfect.)

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 11 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom