• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Video game difficulty options

Usually normal with a few exceptions. If it's a series I have a good amount of experience in and feel confident with I might go higher, or if I read the game works better on a higher difficult (like Dragon Quest XI).

There are also a few games where it's suggested to start lower when you first start out and in those cases I generally will.

I choose easy for a first playthrough then work my way up the ladder, unless the higher dificulties are full of artificial difficulty such as in kingdom hearts or fire emblem, in which case I stop right before the hardest one.

I play games to relax, so the majority of the time I pick 'Easy'. Although, if there is an easier 'guided' mode, I don't tend to select it, in fact I don't think I ever have. Easy is good for me.

As I said, I play games to relax, not to challenge myself. So there is really not any reason to pick anything harder. I do sometimes pick Normal for KH games. I probably shouldn't. Lol.

Normal mostly though occasionally I'll go for a harder difficulty, like in the FE and Tales of series for example, unless a certain game requires it to be unlocked of course. Sometimes I'll go for easy mode if I want a more casual playthrough instead, or if I want to get more into the story than in-game mechanics.

It really depends on the type of game I'm playing. If I'm playing something from a series I'm very familiar with, I'll choose a harder difficulty. If the game is in a genre I've never touched before, I'll go with an easier difficulty. I'll also choose easy mode if I ever want to steamroll through the game for fun. More often than not, I just choose normal mode...

I don't have the patience to play games on their most extreme difficulties, and more often than not those difficulties tend to be poorly handled anyway.

I usually go with Normal difficulty, but if I'm doing something like a replay or new game plus, I'll pick Hard mode, I never use the Very Hard ones though.
Like some others, if it's a genre I'm familiar with I'll probably pick Hard right away.

Like many others, I usually just default to Normal Mode for a first-time playthrough, unless I'm not familiar enough with the kind of game that I'm playing, in which case I would go for a lower difficulty setting, and then try to bump it up on subsequent playthroughs.

I usually go with normal difficulty.

easy! I tend to be horrible at video games lol. the only time I'd choose a harder difficulty is if Pokémon actually added difficulty settings to their games from the start :sweatdrop:

I prefer playing normal for most games, even if they present me with an easy mode. Also, some games just don't have any sort of sense of accomplishment when done on easy, like Mega Man X8 in the Mega Man X Legacy Collection 2 where there is no Hunter Medal for doing so. In that same collection, I just turn on Rookie Hunter mode for second playthroughs to get Hunter Medals I missed the first time through.

I'll generally go for Normal on my first run through something, unless it's part of a series I know and I'm pretty good at, in which case I might start on something higher. If it's a game where you can freely change the difficulty at any time during a playthrough (imo the best way to integrate them) I might ramp things up once I get a handle on the way things play.
It also really helps if the difficulty increase in the harder modes is in some way more complex than just "Enemy numbers are bigger". Like in Kingdom Hearts 2 where Critical Mode also buffs Sora in ways that increase the pace of the entire game and force you to learn and engage with all of its systems and interactions to get the most out of your abilities to match the increase in enemy strength. If it's just "Haha, one-hit kill goes brrr" then odds are I won't even bother with it.

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom