• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

SwSh Villain Team Speculation

The Galactic Commanders don't strike me as much better... they're all just clueless subordinates who don't know the real plan. They're no better than the grunts. What do any of them have to gain by following Cyrus other than "muh vague new world"?[...]

It's a matter of perspective, where we can agree to disagree. Whereas you may see them all in an interchangeable light, I still think the Scientists aren't as memorable as the others.

Purugly and Skuntank only stand out because they're really strong for that early point in the game. I suppose that's a matter of structure - all of the early Team Flare appearances in XY don't involve the admins. My guess is that GF wanted a more gradual escalation, but who knows. Obviously if Aliana came along at the Glittering Cave with a Lv17 Druddigon, she'd be more memorable.

Archer's Houndoom is hilariously crap. Oh no, it's packing Bite. (And Mable literally uses a Houndoom herself!)

This is an interesting point, and I think it contributes to why I find them lacking. Relatively speaking, where you fight (in relation to the Pokemon available to you, the Generation, the likely level you're at, items you have, etc.) Saturn, Jupiter, Archer, Ariana, etc. is a part of what makes their teams memorable (to me). XY didn't have that same relativity, or structure as you say; by the time you get to the Scientists, they're using 1-2 Pokemon while you have Mega Evolution(s), limitless TMs, access to 200+ Pokemon (with most likely a full party), Amie bonuses, Super Training, and such. I don't think Game Freak factored all that in when regarding their difficulty, so dealing with them (for me) was the same as easily knocking aside the grunt right before-there was no substance and the interaction quickly ended. I didn't have that same experience with the others.

I don't know why one would arbitrarily disqualify the Power Plant/Poké Ball Factory/Frost Cavern missions from not being "missions"; they all contribute directly toward Team Flare's intention, while also riffing on either XY's theme about give and take or their theme about hidden potential.

Interestingly, I didn't discredit the Power Plant and Poké Ball Factory as non-missions. I specifically stated the venture to Frost Cavern as questionable, because I didn't find catching Pokemon as something of an operation. You can literally do that anywhere, unopposed (which they apparently did off-screen).

This is an interesting point, and I think it contributes to why I find them lacking. Relatively speaking, where you fight (in relation to the Pokemon available to you, the Generation, the likely level you're at, items you have, etc.) Saturn, Jupiter, Archer, Ariana, etc. is a part of what makes their teams memorable (to me). XY didn't have that same relativity, or structure as you say; by the time you get to the Scientists, they're using 1-2 Pokemon while you have Mega Evolution(s), limitless TMs, access to 200+ Pokemon (with most likely a full party), Amie bonuses, Super Training, and such. I don't think Game Freak factored all that in when regarding their difficulty, so dealing with them (for me) was the same as easily knocking aside the grunt right before-there was no substance and the interaction quickly ended. I didn't have that same experience with the others.

This is true. To be fair, I'm not even against the idea of an early Aliana battle with a Lv17 Druddigon - I may not find the Galactic Commanders any better than the Flare Scientists on a character level, but I do think their battles were more fun, even if it was just by virtue of dropping a tank in front of the player.

Interestingly, I didn't discredit the Power Plant and Poké Ball Factory as non-missions. I specifically stated the venture to Frost Cavern as questionable, because I didn't find catching Pokemon as something of an operation. You can literally do that anywhere, unopposed (which they apparently did off-screen).

Yeah, I admit I misread that bit. Apologies, although I maintain that the white-suit grunts feel largely irrelevant to me.

I like the way Team Skull was presented. They appear to be the bad guys, but TA-DA! The Aether Foundation were the bad guys the whole time! I want the next evil team to be more than just a cult group. Something similar to Aether Foundation, and the Villians are more complicated and alive in SM. Note to GF, when your trying to do a plot twist, please don't spoil it in the opening cutscene.

I like the way Team Skull was presented. They appear to be the bad guys, but TA-DA! The Aether Foundation were the bad guys the whole time! I want the next evil team to be more than just a cult group. Something similar to Aether Foundation, and the Villians are more complicated and alive in SM. Note to GF, when your trying to do a plot twist, please don't spoil it in the opening cutscene.
Well, they spoiled that twist earlier by making artwork of the employees. The intro was just comfirming what everybody knew already.

My thoughts exactly; I'd prefer if the evil team weren't spoiled by the opening cutscene of the game. =P Ruins any kind of surprise later on.
Not only that. One of the first things they reveal are the Professor and the villain. If they don't reveal one or the other people will suspect something is up, and if they reveal both people will see how similar they are and connect the dots. In other words, it can't be done thanks to how pre-release works.

They rewrote both the teams in USUM to more anti-villain-esque teams since some people found that Aether Foundation isn't intentionally vile as they're in main story (at least they're not vile in post-game stories). Even the President Lusamine isn't even vile to begin with (she's only vile in main story because of distress and being toxicated by Nihilego's toxins, rendering her insane). Since some fans (and even developers themselves) found her traits in SM were too much for them, they had to rewrite her and her company in USUM to more-sympathetic characters.

If you want a villain team similar to SM version's Aether Foundation...
International Police could be the true villain team behind Galar's scenes, since Galar's real-life counterpart has serious problems with police officers being corrupt and abusive, or even racist to some.

On another side, I don't mind any former villain team members being in Elite Four or as a Pokémon League Champion.

Or have Pokémon League Champion in charge of his villain gang.

Reviving this thread ahead of the SS direct to speculate before we KNOW more.

I'd personally like it if the villain team wasn't even human this time around, but rather old forgotten gods and/or spirits (basically supernatural entities important to Galar that aren't Pokémon) who are angry that the Pokémon League and the worship of Legendary Pokémon have replaced them in almost every single aspect. Your job would be to essentially calm them down and lead the supernatural beings to some sort of compromise without the destruction of modern society.

Bonus points if one of the gods/spirits ended up secretly bonding with the Galar legends and ends up helping you because of that.

Kinda what the villain team will look like aesthetic wise? Rockets were Black, Magma/Aqua were Red and Blue, Plasma were Black/Blue/White, Flare was Red, Aether Foundation and Team Skull were Black/White respectedly. Kinda hoping that Team Yell will be Yellow or Purple.

Kinda what the villain team will look like aesthetic wise? Rockets were Black, Magma/Aqua were Red and Blue, Plasma were Black/Blue/White, Flare was Red, Aether Foundation and Team Skull were Black/White respectedly. Kinda hoping that Team Yell will be Yellow or Purple.
...Za-cyan, Za-magenta, Team Yell... ow? Hmm...

The evil team from the leak is called Team Yell, and that they're well meaning fans of something. Kinda a let down for me, feel like the evil team should be a reference to british history, like an evil empire or something.

Please note: The thread is from 5 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom