• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

SwSh Villain Team Speculation

Am I the only one who thought that Bede was just an older lady and not a male!? :confused:

Team Yell seems just like Team Skull...unemployed and wasted humans that live on social security and their parents' house.
I saw him for a moment on the site and thought he was a girl for a moment. He does have those feminine qualities.
medium is important for story. why don't you see many (any?) "rom com" video games? because it wouldn't make sense. additionally, corruption is a theme and a plot device; it doesn't make for a great central plot, especially when you take into consideration Pokemon. like, what is Rose going to be engaged in? match-fixing? how do you even realistically portray that in Pokemon? do i, despite wiping the floor with Milo, still get declared loser? when i find out what Rose is up to is he just going to throw me in jail? remove my ability to take on gyms? like, how Pokemon works is just incompatible with this type of story.
Otome. Plenty of those with light stories that could be define as romcom. So yes I do. And they are very interesting.

And there are plenty of ways to fix a match. Maybe a Pokémon uses moves it shouldn’t via a secret Pokémon. Or the stuff Kyriaki says. Or someone beats you to a pulp so you can’t make your match so you lose. Some might be offered something to purposely lose. It’s not impossible. And the possibilities are endless.

Team Yell seems just like Team Skull...unemployed and wasted humans that live on social security and their parents' house.

Precisely. Team Skull was interesting because it was different...Team Yell is literally just a reskinning of Team Skull, and it's twice as less interesting to me.

Precisely. Team Skull was interesting because it was different...Team Yell is literally just a reskinning of Team Skull, and it's twice as less interesting to me.

That's not what a reskin is. While Skull and Yell have a similar aesthetic, the substance of them is not the same.

Team Skull were social rejects; people who failed to pass the island trials and decided to rebel against that system. Team Yell are a completely different concept - overzealous fans of one particular Trainer. In relation to the region's social order, if anything, Team Yell are all-in with the Gym Challenge. They love it a little too much.

Then most of previous evil teams were reskinnings of Team Aqua/Magma, because they were all cults who wants to use legendary pokémon to change the world.

You can win the battle but still get declared a loser story-wise, for example, by being forced into a game mechanic that you were "advised" to use, but turned out to be a cheating thing (with the adviser having no idea that it was a cheating thing). A similar thing happens in an Ace Attorney game
Or, in another way, you could win and then Rose pops up and says that the rules changed a few seconds before your battle begun and you are forced a loss. If Rose throws you in jail, you could be given a mission to escape the jail and announce the truth to the world. These are just a few examples that they could take in the scenarios you mention.

Pokemon might not be a visual novel, but it can still bring in interesting story elements. All it needs is a bit of Pokemon-ifying adjustments to make it work. It doesn't have to work the same way as other video games.
And there are plenty of ways to fix a match. Maybe a Pokémon uses moves it shouldn’t via a secret Pokémon. Or the stuff Kyriaki says. Or someone beats you to a pulp so you can’t make your match so you lose. Some might be offered something to purposely lose. It’s not impossible. And the possibilities are endless.
these aren't really, you know, realistic though. should be clear that i was not implying that there was no possible way for Pokemon to make the story line work; i was saying that it would just make no sense within how Pokemon's narratives are presented. Pokemon just isn't that type of game. it's important to remember that these are games for kids. you don't want to inadvertently condition a younger player that a certain mechanic may be taboo or disqualifying when in reality it's not.

lol at the bolded though.
Otome. Plenty of those with light stories that could be define as romcom. So yes I do. And they are very interesting.
was talking more mainstream games and not a small sub-set, but sure. the point still stands: medium is important. Otomes are primarily V/Ns and sims. because obviously having a shooter be a romcom would make no sense.

That's not what a reskin is. While Skull and Yell have a similar aesthetic, the substance of them is not the same.

Team Skull were social rejects; people who failed to pass the island trials and decided to rebel against that system. Team Yell are a completely different concept - overzealous fans of one particular Trainer. In relation to the region's social order, if anything, Team Yell are all-in with the Gym Challenge. They love it a little too much.

Agreed, Skull and Yell have some superficial similarities, they're both gangs of rowdy hooligans with a punk aesthetic, but that's about where the similarities end. Their goals are very different.

I could see them serving a similar role to Team Skull though. They don't seem to be the main villains (Rose and everyone involved with him seem to be the driving force behind this plot), they're just random punks causing petty crimes. Heck, they might even help the player later in the game. If it gets to the point where the real villains are a threat to everyone challenging the league, they might be inclined to team up since helping you would also help Marnie.

If Team Yell end up supporting the real villain, then the similarities to Team Skull aren't superficial. To truly stand out they need to support the player under Marnie's command.

If Team Yell end up supporting the real villain, then the similarities to Team Skull aren't superficial. To truly stand out they need to support the player under Marnie's command.
i hope that's what ends up happening because before the plot twist, i thought Sun and Moon had a lackluster story. But after Guzma teams up with Lusamine, Lusamine goes insane, summons Nihilego, teleports to Ultra Space, fuses with Nihilego, and we use Nebby to stop her, I think this overthrown B2W2 as the best pokemon story. Alola is now my favorite generation

That is an interesting dynamic; one opposes the trials completely because Guzma failed to become a Captain, the other fully embraces it to push Marnie to become Champion.

However, Team Yell are technically based off of British punk counter-culture or social rejects, so they are also very similar in that aspect. We are just comparing the counter culture(s) of America (Gangsta Rap) & Britain (Punk Rock). I imagine just like with Team Skull, Team Yell are definitely not the main antagonist. They are there to grieve the MC occasionally with comic relief, and I bet Galarians don't take them that seriously, either.

I wouldn't be surprised if they started becoming die-hard supporters of the MC, but this likely wouldn't happen till late story or even post-game. Not to mention, having a rowdy crowd cheer your battles would get annoying fast.

Team Yell isn’t based off of punk counter-culture; they’re based on footballer hooligans (specifically) and hard-core sporting fans (in general). There might be slight punk aesthetics, but I’m pretty sure all of the makeup and hair colors are more nods to how fans of a team/player will paint themselves in colors that represent their team.

these aren't really, you know, realistic though. should be clear that i was not implying that there was no possible way for Pokemon to make the story line work; i was saying that it would just make no sense within how Pokemon's narratives are presented. Pokemon just isn't that type of game. it's important to remember that these are games for kids. you don't want to inadvertently condition a younger player that a certain mechanic may be taboo or disqualifying when in reality it's not.
Gen 1 team rocket kills a marowak, takes over Silph co, and Giovanni is a gym leader and leader of team rocket
Gen 2 has them chopping off slowpoke tails.
Gen 3 has people trying to wipe out all land or water, which would ultimately kill the Pokémon that don’t live in those respective environments.
Gen 4 look at Cyrus and the distortion world.
Gen 5 you have plasma kicking a munna, you have the freezing of unova.
Gen 6 look what Az did. Look what Lysander tries to do.

Pokémon is brutal. There hasn’t been a game without brutal acts or death or the large possibility of so. And those are just some of the things off the top of my head.

A corruption plot with things like injuring the player is downright tame. We’re out of Alola and back into the type we’re used to.

Jesus...

I thought Americans were bad.

Team Yell isn’t based off of punk counter-culture; they’re based on footballer hooligans (specifically) and hard-core sporting fans (in general). There might be slight punk aesthetics, but I’m pretty sure all of the makeup and hair colors are more nods to how fans of a team/player will paint themselves in colors that represent their team.

Looking at the above link I don't disagree, but I see no reason why they can't draw influences from both. As you said, they certainly have the look, and the little we've heard from their "presumed" battle theme seems punk-ish.

The footballer hooligans approach at least further separates them from Skull.

People only say they're like team skull because of their more goofy demeanor, but Skull were more of street thugs, while Yell is, well rowdy fans. They're also trouble makers sure, but unlike Skull where they do it just to screw with people, Yell do everything they do for Marnie. And I say they do have their own stance in my book

Return of team Plasma? They could call this fraction Neo or Neon Plasma?
Two? Make it 3 evil teams and add team rocket or someone.

Hoping Team Yell (seriously the translators missed a perfect opportunity to call em Team Scream) is like Skull in the fact they're NOT the evil team (Team Skull is not the same level as the other Evil Teams. They're disillusioned youth rebelling against a world they believe has wronged them and won't give them a chance) but a bunch of people around that the true evil team uses as a distraction tactic/lackeys for their cause. Really hoping that there's some like high up rigging of things going on and multiple people in charge of the league are actually Villain Leaders.

Hoping Team Yell (seriously the translators missed a perfect opportunity to call em Team Scream) is like Skull in the fact they're NOT the evil team (Team Skull is not the same level as the other Evil Teams.
I feel like this is going to happen. I kinda feel they will pull "not us this time" trope for some reason.

Please note: The thread is from 5 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom