• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Viola: what role will she play

johnpoke

Reaction score
During the smash promo the showed her character card. I think she has more of an important role then just being a gym leader. It seems odd to me that they would show her like that if shes not important.

What do you guys think.

Hmmm, I have this nagging feeling that there's a lot of stuff the anime staff is privy to that we aren't yet. I'm sure this is usually the case, but showing off Viola is an interesting decision no matter how you slice it. If I had to venture a guess, they probably intend for Viola to appear in more than one or two episodes. IIRC, back in the Sinnoh days, most of the gym leaders were around for four-ish episodes and, I'm sure like some of them, there are probably gym leaders in X and Y that will play a part in whatever the plot of the games are. That trailer earlier really suggests that they intend for something notable to happen pretty quickly, so I wouldn't really be surprised if we see Viola involved in said events.

Hmmm, I have this nagging feeling that there's a lot of stuff the anime staff is privy to that we aren't yet. I'm sure this is usually the case, but showing off Viola is an interesting decision no matter how you slice it. If I had to venture a guess, they probably intend for Viola to appear in more than one or two episodes. IIRC, back in the Sinnoh days, most of the gym leaders were around for four-ish episodes and, I'm sure like some of them, there are probably gym leaders in X and Y that will play a part in whatever the plot of the games are. That trailer earlier really suggests that they intend for something notable to happen pretty quickly, so I wouldn't really be surprised if we see Viola involved in said events.

Thats a good point. I just have this sneaking suspicion that she will be a part of the main cast. I would love for that to be true. However theres a chance she could be a recurring character

She is Alexas sister. Or was it cousin? Anyway they are related in some way. And Alexa is a recurring character so Viola will be too. Easy. Even if the post by @Non; about something important happening early sounds interesting.

She is Alexas sister. Or was it cousin? Anyway they are related in some way. And Alexa is a recurring character so Viola will be too. Easy. Even if the post by @Non; about something important happening early sounds interesting.

Just because she is Alexa's sister does not mean she will be a recurring character. and if that is the case thats just poor writing

I had feeling she will also be the main cast, now that I think of it there is no older character acompanying the gang on the journey. Going back to the question ill say her role is something similar to brock and cilan

Last edited:
Her role will hopefully just be "Gym Leader" and that's it.

Well she's not on the poster. I think she's simply the first gym leader and the sister of a current cast member.

Well she's not on the poster. I think she's simply the first gym leader and the sister of a current cast member.

being the sister of a character does not warrant her a character card neither does being a gym leader

Well, no mater how you look at it, the fact is she got official anime artwork presented during Smash shows she might have at least some importance to the show. Let's look at what we know about her first.

1) She's a Gym Leader (mega duh)
2) She's Alexa's sister
3) She's a photographer

So, seeing how points 1 and 2 are probably irrelevant, since that never stopped characters in the anime to being with, let's look at point 3: photographer. She's a professional (at least, I assume she is) photographer, so maybe she leaves the Gym every so often to do things like wild Pokemon shoots and such. However, that may not be strong enough of a point, so let's dig a little deeper into the idea.

Maybe she will be, at least, a reoccurring character that pops in and out every so often, maybe occasionally hanging out with Ash and his posse, then disappearing for a while (probably to tend to Gym duties or something of the sort). She could be a companion, however, since she wasn't put on the initial XY poster, I find that a little hard to believe. Again, it still is a possibility, since Brock wasn't included in the first DP poster (seemingly suggesting Paul would replace him, though obviously that wasn't the case), it seems unlikely. So let's think a little more. Maybe because of her photo gig, she might accidentally find out certain secrets to the plot. Like maybe she catches and then takes some photo shots of Team Flare doing their dirty work while in the shadows, bumps into Ash and co, reports it to them, and they give those Flare guys a whoopin'. I admit, bit of a stretch, but when one is on the fly with a camera, you can shoot some... "interesting" things when the situation arises. So maybe she's the first to uncover some mysteries in the plot, and having befriended Ash and co, probably tells them about it since him and his party are usually the first ones to jump into the situation, and then one thing leads to another. Probably a wild guess at this point, but I call it an off-hand theory, and since people with cameras are notoriously known for snapping shots when least expected, it could be plausible. Then again, I could be way off.

Anyway, the fact remains that she got official anime artwork, so she has to have some purpose other than Gym Leader duties. I guess we'll just have to wait an see until more info is released or the show starts (whichever comes first).

im thinking that she will get a set of episodes that may focus on some of the other game features such as the trainer customability. since she is also related to Alexa, there can be an episode or two that focus on the both of them and maybe need to solve a family dispute or of such. but as of now its anyones guess

It's also possible she's just the first gym leader. Brock has art for Origins just because of this, remember?

I find it strange that they showed Viola, to be honest. I don't expect her to be a traveling companion, but since they showed her, I figure she'll be of some significance. Being a photographer, I could see her traveling a bit and running into Ash from time to time.

It may be possible that she's just a Gym Leader, though, and, being the first, they showed some art of her.

I'm thinking recurring/semi-recurring character.

For all we know, she may be Ash-tachii's mother hen

She could be heavily involved in the first story arc. If they don't have tourneys, contests etc there'll be a lot of episodes for him to get badges so maybe there's a big story arc between 1 and 2?

smash says that clemont will be the first person ash battles in kalos... so, similar to dento, ash would battle him for his first badge. viola will probably reoccur with her sister. one may recall an older trailer with bonnie, clemont and alexa watching ash battling someone, probably viola. but, we shall see.

smash says that clemont will be the first person ash battles in kalos... so, similar to dento, ash would battle him for his first badge. viola will probably reoccur with her sister. one may recall an older trailer with bonnie, clemont and alexa watching ash battling someone, probably viola. but, we shall see.

Do we know what gym number Viola's is??

Please note: The thread is from 10 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom