• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Virtual reality pokemon?

something similar to this theyve made technology for amputees that they can attack stuff to an amputated arm and on a screen theres an arm that u can control like a real arm. this might work for not being full body

While it's probably far off in the future, if it happens, yes! Unfortunately, I'll probably be in my 30s at least by the time a perfect VR is made (Similar to the full dive nerve gear VR in the Sword Art Online anime series). Sounds awesome. Just wish I could be younger lol.

Well, depends what kind of VR you're talking about. If we're talking about a perfect VR (like the Full Dive VR as seen in Sword Art Online, which is pretty good and on Netflix by the way), then it doesn't affect the eyes at all really. The full dive VR connects directly to your brain and puts your entire conscience and all your senses into the virtual world so that it even feels like reality. As long as you don't use it for ridiculously long periods of time (and as long as nobody hijacks the system like in SAO to endanger everybody), there hypothetically are zero negative effects to the body, at least no more, if not less, than today's gaming. The kind of full dive gaming VR as seen in SAO (again, disregarding how the hijacked system put people's lives in danger) is what I hope for in my young lifetime (Really hoping, optimistically, for this to happen in the next 10-15 years, but it's unlikely). SAO starts in the year 2022, and the tech had been around for a year or two seemingly. But that's obviously not a super realistic time period given where we are now.

I cannot wait until I can actually put my consciousness into a game. That probably won't happen for at least 50 years, but when it does, sign me up and strap me down to Pokémon Platinum. I need to travel through that game IRL.

Not necessarily. It may sound pretty optimistic, but that full dive type of VR might very well be no more than 20 or so years away. If the current pace of technological advancement in the field is given a bit more support and speed, and given that mind controlled devices for the disabled have been around for years already (like prosthetics and voice control like Stephen Hawking), and the already advancing Oculus and Morpheus with the likely end goal of something like SAO, 20 years or so would be a somewhat reasonable guess. I actually think that 50 years is definitely longer than it will be. Unless something halted its advancement, even 40 years away would be a surprise to me.

I know for a fact that there's definitely some seriously advanced tech that the general public has no idea of. 20 years sounds about right to me. But it seems sad for a 40 year old like I would be in 2034 to be strapped into Platinum, especially if I'm playing as a 10 year old boy... Or in Sinnoh's case, a girl... o_O

I was thinking more like inception. (great movie you should watch) just a lot less violent.
and it only lasts for like five minutes in the real world, while you get to play for an hour!!!!! XD

While it's probably far off in the future, if it happens, yes! Unfortunately, I'll probably be in my 30s at least by the time a perfect VR is made (Similar to the full dive nerve gear VR in the Sword Art Online anime series). Sounds awesome. Just wish I could be younger lol.

Well, depends what kind of VR you're talking about. If we're talking about a perfect VR (like the Full Dive VR as seen in Sword Art Online, which is pretty good and on Netflix by the way), then it doesn't affect the eyes at all really. The full dive VR connects directly to your brain and puts your entire conscience and all your senses into the virtual world so that it even feels like reality. As long as you don't use it for ridiculously long periods of time (and as long as nobody hijacks the system like in SAO to endanger everybody), there hypothetically are zero negative effects to the body, at least no more, if not less, than today's gaming. The kind of full dive gaming VR as seen in SAO (again, disregarding how the hijacked system put people's lives in danger) is what I hope for in my young lifetime (Really hoping, optimistically, for this to happen in the next 10-15 years, but it's unlikely). SAO starts in the year 2022, and the tech had been around for a year or two seemingly. But that's obviously not a super realistic time period given where we are now.

I cannot wait until I can actually put my consciousness into a game. That probably won't happen for at least 50 years, but when it does, sign me up and strap me down to Pokémon Platinum. I need to travel through that game IRL.

Not necessarily. It may sound pretty optimistic, but that full dive type of VR might very well be no more than 20 or so years away. If the current pace of technological advancement in the field is given a bit more support and speed, and given that mind controlled devices for the disabled have been around for years already (like prosthetics and voice control like Stephen Hawking), and the already advancing Oculus and Morpheus with the likely end goal of something like SAO, 20 years or so would be a somewhat reasonable guess. I actually think that 50 years is definitely longer than it will be. Unless something halted its advancement, even 40 years away would be a surprise to me.

I know for a fact that there's definitely some seriously advanced tech that the general public has no idea of. 20 years sounds about right to me. But it seems sad for a 40 year old like I would be in 2034 to be strapped into Platinum, especially if I'm playing as a 10 year old boy... Or in Sinnoh's case, a girl... o_O

Yeah... like, let's say it takes 20 years. I'm gonna be 38 in 2034... If only this kind of tech could come now XD

Yeah... like, let's say it takes 20 years. I'm gonna be 38 in 2034... If only this kind of tech could come now XD

Well, hopefully my husband and children don't hate me too much for embarrassing them. Because I WILL use that tech lol

^ Same here lol. Looking forward to a full dive VR console! If only it were here now!

Catching, playing with, battling Pokemon in a full dive VR....ohmygosh. So awesome. Oh, and actually flying on my flyer!

Fully cognizant of the ability and level to which virtual reality technology has advanced, I lean away from wanting a VR video game. One of the reasons I enjoy video games, and Pokemon for that matter, is that there's a layer of abstraction between the world I'm interacting with and me. I like that I have to press buttons on my 3DS to control the character. To some extent, when VR enters the fray, it removes that level of abstraction from the game, and I become less interested.

Fully cognizant of the ability and level to which virtual reality technology has advanced, I lean away from wanting a VR video game. One of the reasons I enjoy video games, and Pokemon for that matter, is that there's a layer of abstraction between the world I'm interacting with and me. I like that I have to press buttons on my 3DS to control the character. To some extent, when VR enters the fray, it removes that level of abstraction from the game, and I become less interested.

Hm. Personally, I think the extra immersion (primarily with a full dive type VR) would interest me even more. But I guess I can understand that.

That was the Virtuix Omni, which is basically a treadmill-esque peripheral that allows you to walk around in the game world without going anywhere IRL. And really, that's a crucial part of the entire concept of VR (that is, unless you just want to use a VR helmet with a normal controller, which pretty much breaks the immersion).

2. Sooner or later something would come up to prevent bumping into others or things although if I would see someone wearing a helmet or whatever while walking and knew about VR (though as a gamer things like this would come to me more likely than if I was a non- or casual gamer) I would know I might want to dodge him or her (but bumping into a cute girl would be a way to get in a conversation without it to appear intentional) in time. Also possible a combination of VR and AR to prevent such stuff or maybe even something like big VR zone declarations as a warning and in the VR of the player that gives obstacles like they were in the VR world as you approach them. However, we haven't even reached fully working VR without very negative side effects (motion sickness).

I can't see how this is fixable in a mobile environment whatsoever. The very nature of mobile is that you can play the game anywhere, based on where you go in your own life (for instance, you can play as you're travelling to and from work). So by that logic, in order for something to work in a mobile playstyle, it needs to work at any kind of environment. The problem with VR is that it requires actual motion from your body, different from the motions required to go about your business during the day. So unless the in game layout matches exactly what you're doing IRL, it's impossible to play. IRL people walking around would not match characters and enemies in the game. IRL roads, paths, and obstacles would not match the ones in game. It just wouldn't work unless you design the game world around the IRL world, in which case you've just crossed the line from VR into AR.

Using helm and controller is just visual as it seems to me and for that part I might as well just clue two small screens in front of my eyes. This can be seen as the first step but I wouldn't say that is VR for me.

Surely some geniuses would come up with something sooner or later and I can only imagine possible solutions with no idea of the actual possibility of it (though with no vision and sticking to known facts no advancement can progress or at highest very slowly) like satellite tracking (which is already there I mean you can pretty much literally look through my window with Google earth from anywhere with Internet which doesn't mean I'm happy about this) so maybe the game could create obstacles beforehand by simply calculating some things while you walk or something.

Well, though nothing could beat my awesome and funny (and sometimes annoying) cats I'd certainly prefer a VR Pokèmon before any robot pets or "lifeless" figurines and plush dolls. I would really love to walk alongside my Pokèmon, winning battles, beating up evil teams and stuff just as it were when I pet my cats. There are so many Pokèmon I'd like to touch, feel them and see them breath for real but we are certainly far from this. I'd be very awesome to create my own Pokèmon food for my partner and high five or embrace them or so if we won a difficult battle. I'd be so suuuuuuuuper. However, I doubt I'll see something like that in my lifetime but who knows, can't see the future (and I'm glad for it).

It's closer than you think. There's been several designs for VR helmets in the works that allow you to see virtual worlds in 360 degrees. Now something along the lines of say, Sword Art Online, where you transfer your consciousness into the game is still a ways off, but if you're just looking for the visual aspect, we'll be seeing that as early as next gen.

When we'll see a Pokemon game that uses VR is a more interesting question. Even if Nintendo does move to VR next gen, it will probably not be for handhelds, the concept simply doesn't work very well for a handheld. The problem is that at the moment, Pokemon is primarily a handheld franchise, Game Freak has been very clear that they will not develop Pokemon games for a console that is incapable of portability. So the only ways a VR Pokemon game will happen is if either VR somehow makes them change their minds (which I doubt, they're very stubborn about portability) or if we get a Fusion console and God only knows when that would happen (Nintendo has implied that it won't be happening next gen, though).

But yeah, I'd love a VR Pokemon game, that would be really fun. I imagine VR would add a lot to the communication element in particular, imagine the PSS except you can fully interact with other players.

@Deadman Actually, the technology might not be as far off as you might think. The Augmented Reality of the Google Glasses is probably one of the most advanced things the general public has access to. Governments have far more advanced technologies. I have no doubt that the governments' scientists will develop virtual reality technology (for training agents and soldiers and such) by 2035 at the latest. When the public gets that technology might be well into the 2070's, but it'll happen. ^_^

@Bolt the Cat I cannot wait until I can actually put my consciousness into a game. That probably won't happen for at least 50 years, but when it does, sign me up and strap me down to Pokémon Platinum. I need to travel through that game IRL.

I for one hope of a world like the one from the ORAS trailer or the Google Maps Pokémon Master announcement video. None of that Skyrim crap for me. I want my Pokémon in beautiful, cartoony CGI.

Well, not sure about the time frame but I agree there have to be some secret projects for training soldiers in VR (war and war possibilities always drives developments ahead faster though this is a sad fact). Yet, by the time they are public I'll be an old geezer at like over 80 (though it's more likely our world gets destroyed earlier if you ask me) so my body wouldn't be as good to move around in VR if it isn't like the SAO full dive where you body just lies on a bed and your brains taking all the impressions, this way might be a very good thing for old and/or incapacitated people to have at least something out of their life. Or maybe it even could work against brain declines, just thinking. We do have some results on various fields for video games helping with sicknesses but don't ask me for them because I didn't pay too much attention on details as I read and heard about them.

Anyway sure there are downsides on such "full" VR experience with higher addiction potential and stuff but I rather look at the good points like you could actually high five or hug someone from the other side of the world and still be at home without all the traveling difficulties and stuff just as easy as her or him would live next door or stand next to you. You have to look at the few good things in all these bad things if you wanna keep your sanity. And to quote something "we all live under the same moon and if we would just look on similarities instead of differences the world would be a better place" I think such VR could bring us closer to it. (Just my 5 cents here because it jumped to my mind) By the way, isn't Pokèmon all about bringing the world together under a shared flag?

When I think about VR pokemon, I think about a oculus rift-like cam game that recognizes areas where certain Pokemon could be and with pokemon centers and markets.

Please note: The thread is from 10 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom