• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Walking Pokemon Feature?

Would you like the feature of having Pokemon follow you be brought back?

• Yes! I'd love to have my Pokemon follow me!

Votes: 112 77.8%
  • No, it's a complete waste of resources.

Votes: 10 6.9%
  • I don't really care.

Votes: 22 15.3%

• Total voters
I'd love for the walking pokemon feature to come back just as much as the next guy, but creating models for 700+ pokemon must be hell for the development team though.

I'm going to assume pokemon will still have overworld models anyways. I'd like to see them go the extra mile and allow us to have a following pokemon. It really was one of my favorite parts of HGSS.

I think it would be a nice idea, while it wasn't shown in the trailer, it's possible that the games will have the option to turn it off or not.

While its absence in the trailer doesn't necessarily exclude it (this is early footage, after all), I think the more realistic 3D style might throw up issues of scale. In HGSS the Pokemon were chibified much like the player character, but the proportions in these games are a little closer to reality. Plus I doubt we'd be seeing different models for Pokemon in battle and on the overworld. The same models would be used and it would look odd for Rayquaza to be shrunk down to the size of a snake.

I wouldn't mind if they only allowed the starters and their evolutions to walk around, for whatever reason. Maybe your starter is special and likes being outside of its ball?

I wouldn't mind if they only allowed the starters and their evolutions to walk around, for whatever reason. Maybe your starter is special and likes being outside of its ball?

On the pokemon site for X and Y, it says that the game footage isn't final. So there's still a chance for it. If the models are all ready there, then just making them smaller to fit the size of the character in the right camera angles might work. And that's a good idea with the starters.

That's what Z is for.

Inb4 its 2 syndrome all over again
They had that in Amity Square (only in Platinum though, essentially because they hid items in there and wanted to give everyone a way in.)

That said, its a bit unusual to not see ANY overworld pokemon. At least, I didn't see any in the trailer.

I don't want it. It is a useless feature that does nothing and I think it is annoying to look at.

In fact, it was the only thing I didn't like about HGSS

Edit: but if they have it, please make it optional. Then it would please everyone!

Last edited:
If you look closely on the shoulder of the female (I guess) character while she crossing the bridge, she has a Bidoof beaver type Pokemon on her shoulder. Perhaps the feature is there, it can just be turned on and off.

I'm pretty sure that's her hair you're looking at.

If you look closely on the shoulder of the female (I guess) character while she crossing the bridge, she has a Bidoof beaver type Pokemon on her shoulder. Perhaps the feature is there, it can just be turned on and off.

I'm pretty sure that's her hair you're looking at.

Lol. Thanks for that. She's got some thick hair then.

I'd love to see this! They can also have overworld sprites for all the past starters and pikachu.

It's the only thing HGSS did good in my opinion. I'd miss it, but it isn't necessary.

I personally wouldn't want it, like others said it is a complete waste. I couldn't even play HG/SS because it was annoying. Leave the extra space for pre/post gameplay

Of course walking Pokemon isn't a necessary feature, but it's one fans have missed greatly since HGSS and I can't imagine it'd be too difficult to add in. I'd certainly love it if it were an optional feature - those who don't want it can turn it off.

I'll be honest here; I think it would be cool, but I don't really see it as being practical. I mean, it's WAY too much work to the developers. Think about it. They have to make walking, 3D models of probably over 700 different Pokemon. The size will probably be a factor as well. I don't know... It's not that I don't want it, it's just that I don't see it happening.

I'll be honest here; I think it would be cool, but I don't really see it as being practical. I mean, it's WAY too much work to the developers. Think about it. They have to make walking, 3D models of probably over 700 different Pokemon. The size will probably be a factor as well. I don't know... It's not that I don't want it, it's just that I don't see it happening.

They'd use the samd models they use inbattle simple, no need to make separate models

I don't see why they can't use the models they already have for battles for walking as well. Size and scale might be an issue, but I don't think any but a few would have to be completely redone.

Please note: The thread is from 11 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom