• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Walking Pokemon Feature?

Would you like the feature of having Pokemon follow you be brought back?

• Yes! I'd love to have my Pokemon follow me!

Votes: 112 77.8%
  • No, it's a complete waste of resources.

Votes: 10 6.9%
  • I don't really care.

Votes: 22 15.3%

• Total voters
I would really like to see that feature return, but I very much doubt that it will. Perhaps we will see it again one day, but probably not for XY.

Really couldn't care less.
Even though 3DS cartridges can hold, what, up to 16 times as much data as a DS's (at least according to Wikipedia), polygons are more complex than basic sprites. So it's not totally necessary. Nor do I really think it's going to happen.

If all of them are going to have models programmed in the game anyway, it shouldn't make that much of a difference having then run around following you than having them fighting each other. One mon, one model - it doesn't need to be overcomplicated with multiple models of the same Pokemon.

Good point. I was thinking they could possibly make only your starter follow you. Sort of like how PMD 1 only had character portraits only for the starting Pokemon.

Well GF has been developing these games since around Black and White, right? So they've been working on these games for quite a while, and the 3D pokédex provided us kind of an an insight in what to expect for Gen 6. They've already made models for all these pokémon in battle, and if they want to have such an emphasis on bonding with pokémon why not let them out of their pokéballs? I know it's a very slim chance, but perhaps they do have walking pokémon but are hiding it thus far. Maybe each pokémon will have a pokéball beside their name on the status screen, and tapping it allows you to let them out and follow you.
Of course, this is all just a desparate speculation from a fan who loves any sort of interaction with their pokémon.
Not much of a prediction, but more of what I want.

Well GF has been developing these games since around Black and White, right? So they've been working on these games for quite a while, and the 3D pokédex provided us kind of an an insight in what to expect for Gen 6. They've already made models for all these pokémon in battle, and if they want to have such an emphasis on bonding with pokémon why not let them out of their pokéballs? I know it's a very slim chance, but perhaps they do have walking pokémon but are hiding it thus far. Maybe each pokémon will have a pokéball beside their name on the status screen, and tapping it allows you to let them out and follow you.
Of course, this is all just a desparate speculation from a fan who loves any sort of interaction with their pokémon.
Not much of a prediction, but more of what I want.

It was something really memorable from HGSS, personally, so I'd love it if it were to come back. Plus, it would enhance the 3D feel and make things more real-ish, and further underline the "bonding with pokémon" thing that seems to be a focus for this generation.

Though I'm not sure if they have the time and resources for that. Gen 6 isn't, after all, hosted on the platform that's it's been on for about 5 years (???). It's a completely new platform, and 3D too, so I imagine it'd entail a bit more work.

While its absence in the trailer doesn't necessarily exclude it (this is early footage, after all), I think the more realistic 3D style might throw up issues of scale. In HGSS the Pokemon were chibified much like the player character, but the proportions in these games are a little closer to reality. Plus I doubt we'd be seeing different models for Pokemon in battle and on the overworld. The same models would be used and it would look odd for Rayquaza to be shrunk down to the size of a snake.

While I loved the feature in HG/SS and would love to see it back, I agree with Bikini's point here - since this is more "accurate" now in terms of the 3D displaying things properly, there are more then a few pokemon that would just not work following you around [Wailmer anyone? LOL] >.>

I don't know if it would work well with 3D models and environments.

Also, the walking Pokémon feature was in HGSS because it was necessary for Elm's research, there was a reason for the Pokémon walk outside of the Pokéball.
Unless the Generation VI's professor's research ask for the feature, it would be pointless.

If there will ever be R/S remakes, they should save it for that, and just give us X/Y without the feature, I'd be happy either way.
How can I ask GF for more? Especially after finally taking us into Full 3D, haha.

It would be cool. I agree with this not being implemented in Black & White, Team Plasma were fighting because trainers put pokemon in pokeballs and with walking pokemon this wouldn't make any sense..

Last edited:
I agree with other people in that I think it'd be troublesome with the 3D environment. It would look very wierd having a Groudon the same size as yourself walking behind you, and yeah, not to talk about Wailord or any of the other bug guys out there. Small Pokemon could work, but it would be unfair to all the other Pokemon.

It's a nice idea, but I think it's better off being shelfed. It was an exclusive feature, after all. Imo we should be happy for getting nice 3D models in the in-game battles, instead!

This makes me wonder how accurate the 3D models will actually be. For example, Zekrom is roughly 6 times Oshawott's height. Will Zekrom's 3D model be 6 times bigger than Oshawott's 3D model during battle?

This makes me wonder how accurate the 3D models will actually be. For example, Zekrom is roughly 6 times Oshawott's height. Will Zekrom's 3D model be 6 times bigger than Oshawott's 3D model during battle?

Or a wailord...

It would be nice, but its probably not happening. Maybe if/when we get RSE remakes it could be something that could be added due to experience with the new engine and be able to maximize the capabilities of the 3DS cartridge

I'd love to have it back even if it wasn't improved but, there wasn't much evidence in the trailers :(

I think it's an adorable idea, but I doubt it'll happen for reasons already mentioned.
Having said that, it's a somewhat superficial extra and I can live without it.

It'd possibly work if it was limited to certain/smaller Pokemon.

That would be nice to see this have a comeback. If they do it, they might only allow the smaller Pokemon to do so. So let's say you have a Pokemon with a wide wingspan behind you, it's going to clip through doors and whatnot. That's not very pretty.

As much as I'd love to see this return (and I would throw my money at GF to see it return), I don't have very high hopes of it returning. They didn't show signs of it in the teaser we saw.

There's the issue that since we're using 3D models now that they wouldn't be able to properly use larger pokemon. Though I'm not entirely sure how well this reason holds water considering some pokemon in HG/SS had some decently sized over world sprite representations and they still followed the trainer around. I don't think we'll ever really see an accurate player-to-pokemon size ratio in the games, though. Otherwise something like Wailord would never appear in another pokemon game again! Can you imagine the battle screen with that behemoth of a pokemon rendered in a more accurate size?!

I agree with everyone else that it is unlikely it will return( and I'm fine with that because I didn't like it HG/SS and won't like it anytime in the future). And I highly doubt that it will make a return in R/S remakes because they will most likely be for the 3ds( I can't see GF moving backwards in the future).

Back on topic, it is an annoying feature and should not be brought back, IMO.

I'd love it to return, but from the look of the promo video, it probably won't. I just hope that it'll come back SOMETIME in the future.

While I liked it... I didn't really care about it because most of the time I rarely walked and biked everywhere.

Apart from the size scale issue, there should be field effects as well. It should be snowing in the overworld when you have a Snover following you, or raining if you have a Politoad. Would they be able to include such features?

Please note: The thread is from 11 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom