• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Walking Pokemon Feature?

Would you like the feature of having Pokemon follow you be brought back?

• Yes! I'd love to have my Pokemon follow me!

Votes: 112 77.8%
  • No, it's a complete waste of resources.

Votes: 10 6.9%
  • I don't really care.

Votes: 22 15.3%

• Total voters

HumanDawn

Living the rich life
Reaction score
HeartGold and SoulSilver introduced the feature of having the Pokemon that is first in your party follow you. This feature was not implemented in B/W and B2/W2, much to the disappointment of fans. With Pokemon X and Pokemon Y having a 3D overworld, do you think that such a feature could possibly be brought back? The trailer unfortunately didn't show any Pokemon following the PC. Would you want this feature to be brought back?

It'd be nice enough, I guess, but it's hardly practical. There are going to be over 700 Pokémon by the time X/Y comes out, and they have to put them all into 3D and animate them for everything they do (all the move animations for a start) and so on. Asking them to do overworld versions may be overly strenuous for them, in my opinion. I'd say that the trailer was a fair indication that the walking Pokémon feature isn't going to be included again.

I'd like to see the walking Pokemon come back, since it kind of makes the Pokemon feel more like companions than just battlers. Plus, it'd be nice to have more opportunities to see your Pokemon in 3D, even outside of battle. It was a nice feature back in HGSS that deserves another chance, but as to whether or not it WILL happen, I doubt it based on the trailer.

I want it back, I can't believe GF ditched such an awesome feature! :c
No Pokemon are seen following the PCs in the trailer which makes me worry.

While it was a nice (okay, awesome) feature, I have my doubts it'll return. Unless the trailer we saw was still just a beta form or something like that, I doubt it'll return (at least for this game duo). It was fun to see my main Mon following me, but considering, by then, there will be at least 700 Pokemon total, it may be a little tough. But, on the flip side, with the evolution into the 3DS and its improved graphics and style, it wouldn't be impossible. Difficult, but not impossible. But... I don't think it'll happen, or at least right now. Maybe a third version or the RS remakes will do that, but I have my doubts it'll show up here. Still, it would be pretty cool if it did.

Perhaps they're saving this for possible Ruby/Sapphire remakes.

Really couldn't care less.
Even though 3DS cartridges can hold, what, up to 16 times as much data as a DS's (at least according to Wikipedia), polygons are more complex than basic sprites. So it's not totally necessary. Nor do I really think it's going to happen.

YES please yes it should come back it was one of the best features in any pokemon game you could really connect with your pokemon and even talk to them, it was just so awsome watching them fly or crawl behind you.

Yes yes yes and more yes, it was one of my favorite features and I was so upset that it had been removed in Black and White. Also as always make optional for those who wouldn't like it.

I'd like it to come back personally. I would also like to choose which Pokemon come out instead of just the lead Pokemon. While we're at it let's select the amount of Pokemon that come out. We could choose 1,2,3 or all 6 if we wanted to! I would like the ability to choose whether or not they stay in their Pokeball. The problem with HGSS is that sometimes I would have liked to keep my lead in their ball.

I would personally love to have all 6 out at one time. Especially when confronting the evil team. It would be so cool to have your full team of fully evolved badasses by your side showing you mean business. The protagonist could make a face that says, "Fuck with us...I DARE YOU!"

Really couldn't care less.
Even though 3DS cartridges can hold, what, up to 16 times as much data as a DS's (at least according to Wikipedia), polygons are more complex than basic sprites. So it's not totally necessary. Nor do I really think it's going to happen.

If all of them are going to have models programmed in the game anyway, it shouldn't make that much of a difference having then run around following you than having them fighting each other. One mon, one model - it doesn't need to be overcomplicated with multiple models of the same Pokemon.

I heard that the team that worked on BW was different from the one for HGSS which is why many of the remake's features weren't in BW.

From the trailer it seems that there will be a lot of actions the player character will be doing while exploring the region, such as swinging from vines in jungles (unless that was a gym). If walking Pokemon does come back I imagine the game will accommodate for these segments by withdrawing the Pokemon back into its Pokeball.

This is a feature that i'd like back a whole lot, but i don't think it's likely given the 3D sprites and the fact that No Pokemon were seen folloing the PC's.

From looking at the footage from the announcement, I don't think it's happening. It should be saved for the remakes honestly. While it helped boost friendship and whatnot, I could see it being more of a hassle this time around.

I don't think at all this feature will be present this time and honestly it doesn't annoy me at all. While it's a cool thing I find it to be dispensable. Plus most people tend to forget the tedious work that has to be done in case this feature is brought back, I can understand why GF decided to ditch it.

Speaking of HGSS features, auto-run is far more interesting IMHO.

I don't think this feature will be added, though it was kind of nice. At times though, it felt awkward, so if it were to be implemented again, I'd want the option to turn it off.

If you look closely on the shoulder of the female (I guess) character while she crossing the bridge, she has a Bidoof beaver type Pokemon on her shoulder. Perhaps the feature is there, it can just be turned on and off.

I loved having my Pokemon out of it's ball and following me so I hope it is possible!

At 55 seconds in the announcement trailer there's a girl following your character so since they can make an NPC follow you hopefully your Pokemon can follow you as well!

Please note: The thread is from 11 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom