• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Walmart special offer announced

H-haado kova?!

=\ Who buys hardcover strat guides??

And why did they separate the walkthrough from the pokedex? The Platinum guide was $20 with both sections ($18 at the release discount). This is $30...and there's no combo pack.

Strategy guides are for n00bs who don't know about gamefaqs or IGN Staff walkthroughs. Where I live, they just sit there and gather dust, and the only people who buy them are little kids who don't know how to look up sites.

Strategy guides are for n00bs who don't know about gamefaqs or IGN Staff walkthroughs. Where I live, they just sit there and gather dust, and the only people who buy them are little kids who don't know how to look up sites.
That, my friend, is nonsense. Not everyone is connected to the internet 24/7, and it's more convenient to have a book you can rely on than have a hassle to access a website.

*bought her Platinum guide and used it for the movedex; it was extreme helpful, even into HGSS*

I might get the Pokedex guide if I get them at Walmart. I like to have a physical copy of the Pokedex in case I don't have access to the internet. I usually just get the final Pokedex book of the generation... but I'll make an exception this time.

I like the smell of the paper and the actual touchable pictures. Also, you can take it with you on long car trips.

At least for awhile now we've been doing this at TRU for almost every video game release. We did it for HGSS, too.

So you don't like strategy guides because they're books, jackass? (This is not a flame, Google "It's A Book," and you'll see what I mean.)

eh, aside from their collectible value, i see no point in buying a guide just because if i buy my game there i get a discount on the book. (i'd want it the other way around!)

I find that the pokedex i have on my phone suites my needs just fine, esp. when internet is down or Bulbapedia is feeling slow/503'ish.

Personally I'd prefer the wall clings. I never really use guides, they kinda ruin the game for me whenever I've used them. I like figuring out things for myself. On the other hand, Pokemon stuff needs more than just "figuring out". Pokemon breeding, moves, abilities, level ups, and everything else is so intricate that it really needs a guide. I've also found that Bulbapedia and Serebii have WAY more information than the pokedex guide books present. Also, despite there being a discount, you still have to pay for the guide. I'd take it if it were free, but paying? no thanks. I'll stick to my wall clings, which honestly probably won't be up on my walls, but instead in a drawer or a box somewhere eventually...

I don't see why you have to try to bash people simply because they are buying something you do not want.

Some people do not always have access or the time to go on the internet when they are playing a game, such as Pokemon. Perhaps they prefer looking it up in a book, as supposed to finding a decent guide on the internet. You have people who collect guide books. That does not mean that they are a "n00b", a child, or ignorant of the sites that are out there.

The strategy guide was much more useful in Red/Blue when it had the moves of each Pokémon by level listed. This was missing in Gold/Silver, and I haven't bought one since. Good thing there's Bulbapedia.

Yeah, I'll probably do this. I can't justify the trip to TRU for a glorified sticker and honestly, as much as I love Reshiram, the wall clings just don't appeal to me. If one of them had been Goruugu then it would be a different matter. (I do love that "dirt mech".)

It also helps that I work at WalMart and will get 10% off the total purchase anyway... :lol:

---UPDATE: So much for that. Prime preordered the hardcover guide off Amazon, which had it at 44% off cover, and got a couple other things, so free ship. Beats my employee discount, no question. And he plunked down the $10 to get them from ToysRUs as well.

I probably shouldn't have called the wall clings 'glorified stickers'. Prime also picked me up a couple of Bumblebee 'Fatheads' on the same TRU visit. Pretty much the same thing as the clings, so...(shrug)

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 13 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom