• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Cancelled Games War of the Elements v7

So I feel like I need to add some information from my side to clear things up.

Close to winning
First, yes I was close to winning. How close? Well at the time of modkill I was missing 4 people. Zinn-Co and Mido-Jinjo, these are grouped because they shared 2 possible types. I for certain would have figured out Zinn-CO in the same phase and the other one was a 50/50 guess. I would win by the end of round 3 at the latest.

OC is broken
I've mentioned it in past iterations of WotE, but allowing OC in this game results in heavy use of that if you want to play optimally. I've clearly shown that in the past and is part of the reason for my reputation this game (I still won those games without OC as well with other people). I've already started a bit of discussion with max after my retirement here but would love to help him out on friendly terms.

How I played this game
So, somewhere during R1 Max came online to, what he had to expect, 17pm's started by me, 1 for each player. I tried to find as much cooperation as possible. The msot impressive one was with Lone and Zinn who were already working together and invited me into the group. I gathered quirte some info already R1 and even asked them and iirc someone else to change thier targets to optimalise attacks as there were some duplicates looks at everyone who used fighting on the first 3 slots (+4th if they were included in the 3) and yes, selecting the bottom or middle 3 is very creative :p I loved seeing the patterns of people.
Also just in between but so many people had fighting and grass moves
During R2 I collected info and shared all answers with Lone and Zinn. They woke up after the break and were surprised by what I had accomplished to the point that they got cautious of what was allowed due to my ban.

"prog rocker Rock "
Oh yeah, when I figured this out it was hilarious
Sorry to add to your misery of missing names, but DarthWolf was not only a dark-type, but also a dark-type canine.
This... oh my god this is so fitting both for my name and reputation, it was Thievul to be specific, perfect.
Is it really, though?
No it's not, that's not the main gameplay mechanic, at least supposedly. That's why it's broken and that's why it needs a change.
I mean how else. You just message everyone for their type. I don't really see how he played wrong.
Ok so quick history here, claiming types was allowed in the past, which allowed me to trade a claim with Mido and fool the entire game. Max then changed that to moves only, but looking up who can learn what combination really helps. So this was clearly still too powerful and thus, in this game at least, Max was smart enough by only allowed move types. Again, it proved to be ineffective and I can totally understand Max' frustration on it.
However, the games initially started as more of an individual game of strategic attacks and deductions that required time to gather up as much information as you could due to a lack of OC. The latter is kinda how some of us seem to still approach and think of WotE, myself included tbh.
Hopefully I may speak for some of these people but you're not alone. Mido clearly stated a similar mindset and behaviour. HD already expressed his side and some other players like Soulmaster were quite hesitant to cooperate at first, not because of me but just OC in general.
Let's pull up the previous rounds' records for what I hosted.
v4: OC allowed, ended after 2 Phases when CheffOfGames pulled this 'OC with everyone' tactic and DarthWolf gave Cheff a fake type to give only himself the win.
v5: No OC allowed, ended after 8 Phases. CheffOfGames, DarthWolf and MegaPod won.
v6: OC allowed again, introducing the limitations of what you can reveal in OC and what you're told at the end of each Phase that was also in this version ('s initial run). MegaPod, DarthWolf and Acrobatic Crobat won this one after 4 Phases, though it was only with 10 players. The 8 unused v6 Pokémon and movesets were re-inserted into v7.
Let me add some stuff to that:
v4: I traded types with Mido, as I mentioned earlier. People were cautious at first with OC'ing. I had one going with Cheff as he is a really close friend IRL and thus would easily consider it. He then started this big OC thing, the only player refusing it was Mido, standing strong in her still current beliefs. However, I contacted her behind Cheff's back and asked for a type trade. She accepted and thus I faked it the whole way through. In a group of several people, including Cheff, me, Lone and Zexy (old mod and player for those who don't know him). We had all the info but something eventually didn't add up in our shared results (this was because of my switch). However, at this exact moment I already got all the correct answers so their discovery was too late and I betrayed all of them.
v5 was a fair game, I still won, but shared the victory.
v6 MP and AC won with me because they were the most helpful and I shared the results with them (similar to Lone and Zinn this game). So keep in mind that this could have easily been another OC Darth only victory.
Now, I feel like @Max1996 missed a version right after v4, whatever it was called. Where ALL the players joined into one big OC without me to undermine my betrayal from last game to make me lose. My only lost game ever but I don't count it for conspiracy reasons :p

Now what Max hasn't mentioned, which is similar to the team idea, is the ABC version. Here 6 player get 3 mons, 3 types and rotate between mosn they can use for attacks. There is also the dual type version, not sure if those are included in the above mentioned vX? @Max1996 Feel free to clarify.

Yeah what I meant was not that it's not broken. It is broken, but Darth was not "manipulating the game" or "overdoing it". It's a game issue, not a player issue. I guess I wasn't clear in my message.

Now, I feel like @Max1996 missed a version right after v4, whatever it was called. Where ALL the players joined into one big OC without me to undermine my betrayal from last game to make me lose. My only lost game ever but I don't count it for conspiracy reasons :p
That would be the first Dual-Type edition.

Now what Max hasn't mentioned, which is similar to the team idea, is the ABC version. Here 6 player get 3 mons, 3 types and rotate between mosn they can use for attacks. There is also the dual type version, not sure if those are included in the above mentioned vX? @Max1996 Feel free to clarify.
Those both feel more like spin-off esque games.

So, I'll jump in here as I have some experience on Max's side of things with this format.

First couple games were OC games, they were. They were just held in the time when OC was not heavily used and more of a gimmick than a strategy. I think maybe 3 people would have sent anything in those first couple games each. I don't have the records of PMs anymore but they were not heavy usage I know that. So I think a no OC game sounds about right. Seeing the stats on how long each game lasted for the past few versions, yeah the 8 phases of v5 is almost perfect. Seems like v3 took 8 phases also, v2 was 6, and I didn't own the sheet for v1 and don't feel like digging.
From the two people that contacted me, I also made it clear that I originally wanted to play the game "as originally intended" (which I'm sure got on Max's nerves and in hindsight may have contributed to things, sorry Max) which is very limited OC. And the restricting what you can say, that did help some. However, at least with what I know from backend, not sure if other people have figured it out, but just being able to learn what 4 moves someone has is super helpful. I was basically able to fully narrow Darth down with those and what I attacked him with first time.

Just my 2 cents on things.

Hmm... if DarthWolf was so close to winning may as well have made him officially win ;M.

I was Sceptile.

Err...you do realize I intended to have the Pokémon and movesets from this version stay unrevealed, for (semi-)obvious reasons?

Ahh, no, sorry.

Though, does the Pokemon or moves even matter? The player is only informed of what types of the attacks were used on them, not who used them.

Yeah I can totally understand Max's frustrations at watching a game become so insanely unbalanced with what it sounds like was happening here. To be honest I'd probably get a little annoyed watching one of my games that I put effort into making come apart at the seams like that, too. I really hope you can find a system that works for you Max, 'cause these are fun games.

Was I the only person who didn't claim my move types to DarthWolf? I heard he always wins and I stayed silent to him in OC. :D

Was I the only person who didn't claim my move types to DarthWolf? I heard he always wins and I stayed silent to him in OC. :D
Possibly Mido, too. Considering they asked me with how many people I started OC and said they didn't want a big alliance to make the game last a bit.

Back
Top Bottom