• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Was Brock's departure being foreshadowed for the past few episodes?

Froakie

Gangsta's Paradise
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I don't usually make threads here so I hope I'm not spamming up the forum.

I have realized, throughout the period of DP, Brock has generally seemed quite critical of Ash on occasions, or at least he offered constructive criticism towards him. In battles, he used to tell Dawn (Or himself) that whatever Ash had done was not necessarily the best idea in the world.

Yet in the last few episodes, when Ash won his battles, Brock's personality seemed to change. The writers made him look like he was very close to Ash - though this focus is generally not promising in terms of his future.

For example. In DP188 when Ash beat Paul, Dawn and Barry were ecstatic and screaming for his victory. Brock was focused upon, and he pretty much whispered 'You've finally done it... Satoshi'

In DP189, when Ash lost against Takuto, whilst Dawn and Barry seemed upset over his loss, Brock seemed unusually optimistic and explained that he did very well and that he had never reached that far before. Obviously there was foreshadowing at the end of the episode, as he explained that Ash and Dawn should never lose sight of their dreams, but he was unsure of what he should do next.

I'm not sure if it's just me, but throughout the league the writers have made Brock seem proud of Ash and a really close friend/big brother of his. This has seemed to just showcase the fact that he'll be leaving.

Anyone else notice this too?

I have noticed that Brock has had less to say lately. I think that they were purposefully detaching him from the rest of the main cast so that they could taking him out without too much hoopla.

I've noticed the same thing. DP189 was obvious foreshadowing, but I agree his comment in DP188 might have meant "You're finally good enough that you don't need me anymore.". Hopefully next week or the week after he elaborates on that point.

And I believe others have said that Takeshi healing Pokemon has been focused on more in DP, which might be foreshadowing as well. DP loves to do foreshadowing, so I almost wonder if Takeshi not doing much is also part of it. :p

Yeah. That's pretty much Brock's way of acknowledging that Ash has grown up a lot since they first met & knows he'd be fine on his own. His older brother-like ways are obvious throughout the entire series, & he's proud of Ash for coming this far. He was able to take out 2 Legendary Pokemon on his own, something that's unprecedented in the anime. And to be honest, I think Brock's departure was foreshadowed for the entire DP arc. He had great knowledge about healing Pokemon that he passed on to Dawn, has acted like an actual doctor several times (he helped out Marley's Shaymin, Infernape as a Chimchar during the tag battle tournament, the Pokemon injured by the Gible that Khoury caught, etc.), & has raised Sudowoodo from a crybaby to a reliable powerhouse. There couldn't be a more perfect time for Brock to strike out on his own.

I don't know the raw that well, so I don't have much of a perspective on that. I do, however, find it interesting that now of all times he has realized everyone around him has grown, but he has not done much at all. It's like the writers stabbed themselves in the back. I may not know about it in recent eps, but throughout the latter part of DP, there seems to have been a special focus put on Brock, especially his healing capabilities. He has even gotten his own eyecatch. At least for some amount of time, it is apparent they wanted to give Brock one last hurrah before they remove him from the equation. It's not enough to redeem his character, no amount of showboating can do that. At least they care.

Just like they built up Masato getting Gonbe at the end of AG, right?

Yeah, no. And we don't know if Takeshi is leaving, either.

Hopefully someone will find this and close it like the rest of the Brock threads.
But to make small talk, Brock being too attached to Ash would make him seem less likely to do for himself and the smae goes around. So maybe it's good that they seperate for a little while. Give each other space. No big deal.

Thanks for the replies everyone. n_n
I've also noticed, the eyecatches he is featured in have been shown more frequently (about every other episodes) which didn't happen about 20 episodes ago. It appears as if they are giving him a bit more spotlight as time progresses.

His, "doctor role," even started in "Pinch-healing," way back at the end of AG.

Well, he has acted as a Doctor before Pinch Healing.

End of DP 189 is obvious. DP 188 might also have been foreshadowing. It might stretch back to the begining of DP too. Before that? I can't say really.

we don't know that for good as it might just end up being the same as the orange islands saga and dento may be another tracey.

No, it can't be... Orange was an extremely short saga of less than 40 eps... BW series will last about 3-4 years like AG and DP were and after Brock being gone for so long, he'll never return to the main cast again (especially when they made it pretty obvious Ash is really mature now and doesn't really need him, not to mention Dento pretty much filling Brock's role)

Anyone who thinks there's even 1% for Brock to be in BW is just in some serious denial
All advertisments of BW already told us the main cast will be Ash/Iris/Dento and they strongly hinted that Dento is going to be similar enough to Brock so it'd be really pointless for Brock to be there

Also, they're doing a big deal of Brock all of a sudden thinking that he has no real goal compared to Ash and Dawn and then next ep he's finding a new dream to be a doctor... god, how anymore obvious than this they need to do it? they just scream at our face that Brock is leaving for good this time

LOL, I really hope nobody expects Brock to return after BW. Its bad enough some people still think Misty is returning after 8+ years, let's hope the Brock fans don't do the same thing.

No, it's pretty obvious he's leaving.

Just like it was pretty obvious he was leaving after AG, right? Everyone "knew" he was leaving then. Go duck into the archves and see for yourself.

All advertisments of BW already told us the main cast will be Ash/Iris/Dento and they strongly hinted that Dento is going to be similar enough to Brock so it'd be really pointless for Brock to be there

All advertisements of DP told us the main cast would be Satoshi/Hikari/Shinji until shortly after the final episode of AG had aired.

Just like it was pretty obvious he was leaving after AG, right? Everyone "knew" he was leaving then. Go duck into the archves and see for yourself.

So? Back then some people also thought Misty was returning when DP started. People say crazy things.

All advertisements of DP told us the main cast would be Satoshi/Hikari/Shinji until shortly after the final episode of AG had aired.

But Dento is way too obvious a Brock replacement, we knew nothing about Paul at the start.

Last edited:
So? Some people also thought Misty was returning when DP started. People say crazy things.

These weren't "some people". It was treated as "common knowledge you can't een try to argue against".

But Dento is way too obvious a Brock replacement, we knew nothing about Paul at the start.

We don't really know that much about Dento yet, either.

All I'm saying is, nothing is set in stone yet, and a good deal of you were burned badly the last time you insisted it was dead obvious Takeshi was leaving. Learn from your mistakes.

These weren't "some people". It was treated as "common knowledge you can't een try to argue against".

Yeah, and I was one of those people who thought Brock would be gone when AG ended. I was wrong, but this time it seems more likely for obvious reasons.

Brock isn't on the BW site at all, his VA isn't listed anywhere. He's getting a big ep in DP190, why the hell would Brock star in an ep right before DP ended?

All I'm saying is, nothing is set in stone yet, and a good deal of you were burned badly the last time you insisted it was dead obvious Takeshi was leaving. Learn from your mistakes.

Yeah, we were wrong, but we got over it. Its not like we're all sitting here crying over it. We got Croagunk out of Brock's DP run, at least.

Please note: The thread is from 14 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom