• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Was Mastermind of the Mirage Pokemon Originally Made in Japanese or English?

Enzito

Reaction score
Recently I've been puzzled by the fact that Mastermind of the Mirage Pokemon was released in the US first, has both versions use the same theme song titled "Pokemon Go", and yet it was scripted by a Japanese guy and both English versions are listed as dubs on Bulbapedia, so was it originally produced in Japanese or English?

Don't the 4kids actors say they were about to dub the special and then TPCi yanked it from them?

If it was made solely for the new English dub, why was it dubbed in a lot of countries?

I don't think it was made specifically for a one countries dub though....

Whatever the case, it definitely shows TMOMP was made for American fans born between 1995-2000 given the main featured antagonist Pokémon being Mewtwo, which in a pragmatic sense wouldn't seem reasonable after 2007; Mewtwo was very popular with English-speaking boys, after all. Also, it wouldn't be the first time something was produced that was primarily targeted at a foreign audience (Monty Python did two specials for West German audiences in 1972, for example).

Don't the 4kids actors say they were about to dub the special and then TPCi yanked it from them?
Yeah, I remember at least Maddie said that they were about to start working on the special right before TPCI replaced them. I don't know if any of the other 4Kids cast made similar comments, but they were all caught off guard by the cast change possibly because of thinking that they were going to record for this special.

Yeah, I remember at least Maddie said that they were about to start working on the special right before TPCI replaced them. I don't know if any of the other 4Kids cast made similar comments, but they were all caught off guard by the cast change possibly because of thinking that they were going to record for this special.
Veronica Taylor has said the same thing.

It has that feeling of being made for outside the main demographic: bringing back Mewtwo is one thing, but they were also tying to the movies, which were some of the more popular stories with older fans. And then Misty is added. I remember someone here once wondering if Oak's Dragonite was part of the elements that made the special more special for fans.

It's entirely possible that this was something some Japanese fans wanted and it's just coincidently what American fans wanted. It doesn't explain the release order though. But even if it was something the American side wanted, the production would still be mainly if not all the Japanese side.

They haven't tried anything like this since right? Unless those 4 Arceus episodes count?

Is there any kind of paper work or press release about this special?

I suspect it was commissioned like Dogasu has said by 4Kids back then, but TPCi yanked the dub rights from their studio right before they were going to dub Mastermind and Battle Frontier as well (Rachael Lillis said they had gotten the materials at 4Kids & were getting ready to dub Season 9, when they had learned TPCI was going to mass purge/overhaul the entire English cast likely to cut costs/save money on production).

Either way, the special is IMO, garbage but back then TPCI weren't nearly as disrespectful of the OST as today so there's that (the voice acting & script writing that has plagued Pokemon since they took over in house, is another story, those issues began here in their very first dub and have persisted to the end IMO, though Natochenny's Ash made some strides it wasn't quite on par with Taylor's either).

Last edited:
I found it funny the 4kids cast lambasted the music of this special lol.

I found it funny the 4kids cast lambasted the music of this special lol.
Likely just out of fury at the time and not thinking clearly (to be fair, Dogasu was being a dick on his review for The Saffron Con on the cues as well, that episode kept 5.75 pieces of OST-- not including the title card because 4Kids replaced one piece of Japanese OST/BGM for another for it since AG began because...they felt like it?), but to be fair, TPCi's voice acting & script writing were a massive step down from 4Kids back then (I would argue now, as well, personally).

I would've gone after both of those intros, both sucked, ESPECIALLY the "Yo, Pokemon Masta, ya heart beats faster" crap. "I'm on a quest now" is peak cheesiness, but less godawful than Go Pokemon Go.

Please note: The thread is from 11 months ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom