• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Was XY really that bad?

I do find the EXP system in BW pretty bad. No idea why they brought it back for SuMo.

I presume the devs felt the older system made things too easy, particularly with XY's improvement on the Exp Share. In XY we have the Furisode Girls with level 65 Audino at the Battle Maison, in ORAS we have better ways of grinding with the Blissey bases. Meanwhile Sun and Moon introduced an incentive to actually grind a pokemon to Level 100, Hyper Training. It might stand to reason that the devs feel like they wanted that last bit to be something that had to be earned rather than handed out on a "silver platter".

XY was very bare-bones in terms of content, plot, and diverse characters. The designs of the Pokemon were spot-on (although many looked like they had been bleached a bit in terms of color), but everything else was very bare-bones. The plot, rivals, and villains in particular were very generic and barely worth noting, especially coming after Gen V's incredible story-telling and well-defined characters. Not to mention a laughable Champion and E4 who all had almost the bare minimum in terms of teams. I'll give GF some benefit of the doubt, as it was their first step to getting used to the power of the 3DS for a Pokemon game, but everything had been very small baby steps to the point it caused XY's potential to be dragged down dramatically. I think the saving grace for Gen VI were the introduction of Fairy and ORAS, but it still didn't excuse XY's shallowness and limited content. Again, I'll give GF some flexibility due to the fact this was the first set of Pokemon games on the 3DS, but even so it won't be enough to excuse XY's very glaring flaws. And truth be told, I'd rather sit through SM's hand-holding and long cutscenes than play XY again, as at least SM had a great story, good characters, and made good use of the region's inspired origins. Again, the only thing that saved Gen VI from being as forgettable as Gen I in my opinion was the Fairy-type and ORAS. That's my 2 cents.

I agree with everything CynthiaLover said. Although I do have to add the clothing options in X and Y were better IMO than the clothing options in SuMo, but that's probably because I prefer to wear long pants IRL and wish the PC could do the same.

Basically yeah, great online portion, excellent new roster(and they had stats that make sense, effing physical Bruxish still baffles me), but everything else is meh. People talk about SM but eesh XY is the first time I want to gouge my eyes out with the graphics.

I presume the devs felt the older system made things too easy, particularly with XY's improvement on the Exp Share. In XY we have the Furisode Girls with level 65 Audino at the Battle Maison, in ORAS we have better ways of grinding with the Blissey bases. Meanwhile Sun and Moon introduced an incentive to actually grind a pokemon to Level 100, Hyper Training. It might stand to reason that the devs feel like they wanted that last bit to be something that had to be earned rather than handed out on a "silver platter".
Don't forget that Sun and Moon also had the Isle Evelup.

Please note: The thread is from 7 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom