• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Water-type spinner

Who is a better Spinner in OU offense?

• Blastoise

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • Starmie

Votes: 7 87.5%

• Total voters

Suicune Rider

追放されたバカ
Reaction score
I tend to think about Starmie due to it's far superior speed stat as well as Fighting resistance, but I really like both and need some help deciding.

Try tentacruel. It has access to knockoff and toxic spikes so you could maybe do something like

Tentacruel@Black Sludge
Calm
252 HP/ 252 Speed/ 4 SpAtt
Toxic Spikes
Rapid Spin
Knock Off
Scald

Tentacruel has a base 100 speed so its not as slow as blastoise and its got a 120 base special defense so its not as frail as Starmie. If you would prefer instead of toxic spikes you could maybe run sludge bomb.

^While I do love all Water-types, Tentacruel is just really lacking in power, I need 6 hard-hitter.

I'd vote Starmie for its movepool. Psyshock and Thunderbolt are pretty good to run on the little guy. Plus, recover.

While Mega Blastoise doesn't have Starmie's speed and reliable recovery, it serves as a fine wallbreaking spinner with its good bulk, power and coverage. It also has better defensive typing as a pure Water type, meaning that Dark, Ghost, and Bug types won't threaten it as much, and as a Mega, it doesn't take much from Knock Off and is not crippled by it. Mega Blastoise also has coverage to threaten the former two types with Mega Launcher-boosted Dark Pulse.

If you do want an offensive spinner with more versatility, speed, reliable recovery, a way to change its own typing, and does not take up a Mega slot, then Starmie is the way to go.

MBlastoise is bad, Starmie and Tentacruel are good.

Tentacruel @ Black Sludge
Ability: Liquid Ooze
EVs: 248 HP / 216 Def / 28 SpD / 16 Spe
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Rapid Spin
- Acid Spray
- Toxic Spikes

Starmie @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 248 HP / 16 SpD / 244 Spe
Timid Nature
- Reflect Type
- Scald
- Rapid Spin
- Recover

Starmie @ Life Orb
Ability: Analytic
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Psyshock/Thunderbolt
- Rapid Spin

It's slow, has no recovery, and is pretty weak. Plus it eats a mega slot which is way the hell too much opportunity cost. Plz tell me where Smogon says it's good - it's C+ on the viability ranking. "Reserved for Pokemon that hold a moderately low amount of viability".

Tenta is B and Starmie is A fyi

Why is MBlastiose bad? Smogon said it's good in OU.

Tiers relate to usage, not usability. That being said, Tier wise, it's mostly a UU Pokemon, although it has seen use in OU. In regards to what -Glory Blaze- said, yes, it's slow. In fact, it gains no speed boost upon Mega Evolution, meaning that against a non-mega Blastoise, it comes down to a Speed Tie, if they're trained the same way. It has SOME bulk, yes, but the mono typing makes it vulnerable to Electric and Grass, and only does half damage to Dragon types, meaning you more or less HAVE to give it Dark Pulse just to hit dragons for Neutral.

I've only ever managed to use MBlastoise with any efficiency when I ditched spin and speed and went for bulk with 4 attacks (HPump, Dark Pulse, Ice Beam, Aura Sphere)
The only switch-ins to that thing are fat SpDef fairies and Chansey

reflect type starmie is fun as hell, don't care what anyone says about it

I like offensive starmie too of course. Used tentacruel a few times, typing and special bulk is really nice but the lack of recovery really makes me prefer starmie. Never used blastoise. Too busing using other megas to give it the time of day, and vblastoise is mediocre as heck. It seems pretty decent as a tank/spinner tho.

It's slow, has no recovery, and is pretty weak. Plus it eats a mega slot which is way the hell too much opportunity cost. Plz tell me where Smogon says it's good - it's C+ on the viability ranking. "Reserved for Pokemon that hold a moderately low amount of viability".

Tenta is B and Starmie is A fyi

imo almost everyfin that makes the viability list in the first place could be considered "good" to a degree. The viability list isn't the entire iceberg, it's just the tip. If the list consisted of the entire iceberg (every fully evolved mon in the dex + the few decent nfe mons there are), everything on the current list would be around B+ rank or higher. Just because a mon isn't the best of the best doesn't mean that it's not absolutely usable.

Last edited:
We disagree then I guess - "good" imo means "drawbacks are overshadowed by positive traits" whereas "viable" means "has a unique combination of positive traits compared to all other options". The viability ranking consists of all viable Pokémon, ranked from "good" to "bad", with "good" being S and A, B rank being the "break even point" where flaws and value balance each other almost completely, and C and D being "bad", where flaws overshadow positives and the Pokémon contained within should only be used to fulfill very specific niches. The "rest of the iceberg" you mentioned isn't just bad, it's nonviable - there is literally 0 reason to use it in OU over another option.

Please note: The thread is from 8 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom