• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Ways of Finding Wild Pokemon in X/Y

Phoenixon

I'm back
Reaction score
From the very first generation, we had more than just one way of finding Pokemon in the wild. It all began with the Tall Grass, right outside Pallet Town. Later, we would venture into caves, voyage across the seas, and even learn how to fish. We also had some other stranger places, like the Pokemon Tower in Lavender Town.
Over the years, we've gotten newer ways to find more and more Pokemon.

The main ways are:
-Tall Grass
-Caves
-Surfing
-Fishing
-Underwater (Gens III and V only, so far.)

Then we have some stranger ways, some exclusive to their Generation:
-Rock Smash
-Headbutt
-Slathering honey on trees
-Swarms
-PokeRadar
-Phenomena (Shaking grass, dust clouds, rippling water, etc.)

(I may have forgot to mention some.)
Each generation introduces new ways to find Pokemon, while some ways may be removed, and some ways may be brought back from previous Generations.
So, what do you guys think could be a new way to find Pokemon? And what ways do you think they may remove, or return from Gens I-IV? How and why? DISCUSS!

I'd like to see the Pokeradar return. Easiest way to find shinies imo.

There are underwater Pokemon in Gen V? I know you can dive to the Abyssal Ruins, but I didn't think there were Pokemon underwater.

I'm guessing there will still be at least shaking grass, if not other phenomena, since Audino is in the trailer (assuming it isn't just wild now, and that Audino is actually in the game). Probably dust clouds and maybe ripples, too. Not sure if there will be the ones exclusive to the bridges, though.

I'd also like Poke Radar to return. I also liked the honey trees, but I doubt they'd return.

Shaking grass and Audino better return. Don't want to have to go back to level grinding without them. If any sort of flying route does end up happening I could easily see clouds work as tall grass.

Shaking grass and Audino better return. Don't want to have to go back to level grinding without them. If any sort of flying route does end up happening I could easily see clouds work as tall grass.
YES! I would love a flying route.
Anyways, back on topic. Maybe you could encounter Porygon inside computers? IDK

I agree with keeping Shaking Grass/Whirlpools/Dust Clouds... just hope they reduce the number of Audinos/Drilbur/etc. we come across. I also hope they bring back the PokeRadar; I never personally got a Shiny with it, lol, but it was still a cool concept and unique way of finding Pokemon.

With all the mountains we could be climbing, I wonder if they'll find a way to incorporate wild Pokemon into the outside of mountains without Tall Grass. Just don't bring back Honey/Headbutt trees, though, please. You could not think of a more boring way to find Pokemon.

I agree with keeping Shaking Grass/Whirlpools/Dust Clouds... just hope they reduce the number of Audinos/Drilbur/etc. we come across. I also hope they bring back the PokeRadar; I never personally got a Shiny with it, lol, but it was still a cool concept and unique way of finding Pokemon...
I don't mind the guaranteed Audino/Drilbur, but for heaven's sake, make different areas have different shaking grass pokemon!

I agree with keeping Shaking Grass/Whirlpools/Dust Clouds... just hope they reduce the number of Audinos/Drilbur/etc. we come across. I also hope they bring back the PokeRadar; I never personally got a Shiny with it, lol, but it was still a cool concept and unique way of finding Pokemon.

With all the mountains we could be climbing, I wonder if they'll find a way to incorporate wild Pokemon into the outside of mountains without Tall Grass. Just don't bring back Honey/Headbutt trees, though, please. You could not think of a more boring way to find Pokemon.

ummm i loved the headbutting. :p but only if we also get berries to plant and harvest and secret bases to make trees more fun all around.

I don't mind the guaranteed Audino/Drilbur, but for heaven's sake, make different areas have different shaking grass pokemon!

Yeah, basically this. I mean, you can encounter unique or special Pokemon in shaking grass... 5% of the time. Otherwise, it's just Audino. Everywhere. Some variety would really be appreciated.

ummm i loved the headbutting. :p but only if we also get berries to plant and harvest and secret bases to make trees more fun all around.

Eh, to each their own. But hey, if it'd mean they bring back Secret Bases I'll gladly take Headbutting, Honey Trees, and growing Berries all back!

I want the Pokeradar back, even if I never did once find a single shiny with it. My luck just sucks too much I guess. xP

I didn't mind the honey, but headbutting was kinda eh. It always took me forever just to find one Pokemon, though I did get a female Heracross with the perfect nature due to it.

Honey Trees took way to long for me, and the good Pokemon were so rare. :/ I actually preferred Headbutting to be honest. I hope they include some way to get Pokemon out of trees, because not every Pokemon would naturally live in tall grass. Maybe they could include a way to find Pokemon under rocks after you use Strength, similar to how Pokemon come out of them when you use Rock Smash. Many types of creatures such as insects and lizards naturally live under rocks, so why not Pokemon?

I want there to be more underwater areas, and seaweed along with them. (I liked Hoenn.)

THIS, 'nuff said. I love how the underwater kind of made the location more mysterious. I mean, for other HM locations, you can see what the place looks like (usually) but you never know what the underwater could be like.
I hope they make it more complex, maybe add different levels of depth, time limits (like BW) and MOAR underwater ruins (also like BW.)
You should be able to find rarer Pokemon if you get to the deepest level (the lower you go, the more rare Pokemon you see.)

EDIT
I hope they include some way to get Pokemon out of trees, because not every Pokemon would naturally live in tall grass. Maybe they could include a way to find Pokemon under rocks after you use Strength, similar to how Pokemon come out of them when you use Rock Smash. Many types of creatures such as insects and lizards naturally live under rocks, so why not Pokemon?

AND, maybe they could allow us to CUT down more trees (not just the "cut-able" ones) and when you do, you can find cooler Pokemon? It's like combining the idea of headbutting trees and rock smashing Pokemon, and I prefer would prefer this over honey trees as well.

AND, maybe they could allow us to CUT down more trees (not just the "cut-able" ones) and when you do, you can find cooler Pokemon? It's like combining the idea of headbutting trees and rock smashing Pokemon, and I prefer would prefer this over honey trees as well.

The main problem I see with that (other than conservationists getting worked up) is the fact that a lot of times they use trees to mark boundaries. I'd prefer that we didn't have invisible walls in Pokemon, and it would be strange to have cliffs everywhere, so trees are the easiest way to limit where you can travel.

The main problem I see with that (other than conservationists getting worked up) is the fact that a lot of times they use trees to mark boundaries. I'd prefer that we didn't have invisible walls in Pokemon, and it would be strange to have cliffs everywhere, so trees are the easiest way to limit where you can travel.

I meant there would be more types of trees that you can cut, but not all of them.
For example, first we have the normal cut-able tree that you need to cut to get past somewhere. Then you have a larger tree which can be cut to get Pokemon. Then you'd have an even bigger sized tree which is completely un-cut-able.

I meant there would be more types of trees that you can cut, but not all of them.
For example, first we have the normal cut-able tree that you need to cut to get past somewhere. Then you have a larger tree which can be cut to get Pokemon. Then you'd have an even bigger sized tree which is completely un-cut-able.

I see. That sounds pretty reasonable to me.

Forgot to say that it would make sense that the second kind of tree grows back, while the first doesn't.

Thinking of finding Pokemon in trees, I had another idea.....
IF we're able to grow berries this gen (I HOPE SO), then wouldn't it be cool to also face Pokemon when picking up the berries? At first, I thought it should be only Cherubi and Cherrim (since they practically are berries), but other Pokemon also eat berries, so maybe some birds (Starly is even mentioned in Cherubi's dex) would be nice to find that way too.

@^: Definitely.

You know, with the whole 3D thing, there could be some very cool underwater areas.

Well, for starters, they HAVE to keep the rustling grass/dust cloud/rippling water thing. Those methods were great. Sure, the number of "unusual" Pokemon was a bit lacking (well, percentage wise), Audino did provide great EXP training, but if they could make the percentage a bit more... "level", then it would be even more awesome. It really made the hunt more fun when you could, out of nowhere, encounter a rarer or hard-to-find Pokemon without much trouble. I don't think they should keep the bridge shadows, however, as it seemed a lot more gimmicky, but the rest should stay. (Plus, I'm a treasure hunter, so Dust Clouds were naturally my favorite. Just random tidbit.)

Also, if they could bring back Underwater Pokemon catching, I would be so happy. It added more of a mysterious feel, and yet made it seem more natural than just Surfing. After all, it seems a bit more natural to have aquatic Pokemon hiding in seaweed than just randomly popping out on the water's surface. With the 3D effect, they could really go to town with the graphics and whatnot, making it so cool. And I agree, if they did bring it back, then maybe the deeper you go, the rarer the Pokemon you'll find, or at least increase the percentage rating. It would add such a mystical and mysterious vibe to the games, as it did before.

Honey trees were a bit too gimmicky for me. They took WAY too long, and with each tree was a different roll of the dice. Plus it just seemed like a lot of work, and if you didn't get back to it in time, boom, the Mon is gone. So it wasn't one of my favorite methods. Although using Honey like Sweet Scent wasn't too bad, but it could take a toll on your supplies if the chance encounter for a certain Mon was low. So they could probably skip the Honey Trees.

Poke Radar is a toss up for me. I've had pitiful luck there, but I do know how it works. I just keep screwing up. I do know it is a great way to get Shiny Mons, and you can find some good stuff with them. I guess my gripe with it is my bad luck. So, pushing that aside, Poke Radar would be a fine addition, especially since the rewards are so high when your patient enough (or not klutzy, like me).

Headbutting and Rock Smash are also bit of a toss up. While Headbutting does fetch some nice Mons, like Heracross and Noctowl, it does require luck and patience (and, most of all, the right tree). Rock Smash is less favorable for me, especially when it was a forced HM (god forbid that happens again). Though, the treasure hunter part of me did like finding Heart Scales, Stones, and Shards in them, which, I'd admit, would be the only reason why I would accept Rock Smashing again. I guess because all I ever found were Geodudes, which annoyed me to no end (and their accursed Self-Destruct...). So I would be more welcoming to Headbutting over Rock Smashing, but only if they made the rewards a little more worthwhile.

Well, that's my two cents. Spend it however you want.

Please note: The thread is from 11 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom