• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Ways of Finding Wild Pokemon in X/Y

what if they made a city that was completely in the trees (similar to the city in Hoenn, but ALL the houses, and even the gym in the trees.) They could have multiple levels, making for a very large city in a small bit of map space. Pokemon could fly through, and there could be areas where you have to swing through lots of leaves. You could also walk through the branches and battle pokemon there.

I'm all for bringing back Underwater Pokemon... if they're not remaking RSE this Gen. I'm not usually one for withholding older features to save them for future games... but I dunno, part of me thinks how full 3D Diving and underwater exploring would be amazing and great selling point for those remakes, and it'd end up being pretty underwhelming if we see it in XY first.

Oh yeah, and I forgot to bring up Rock Smash. It should stay gone, imo. Dust Clouds is a much better equivalent that still allows you to find Pokemon and great items without mashing the A button and wasting a moveslot on a bad attack. Keep it a TM, I guess, but just not an HM.

Edit: Yes to Sky Routes. Not sure how exactly they could be done but it's a fun idea.

Last edited:
I really hope that they keep the rustling grass and rippling water from the fifth generation. Not only was that a great way of finding some rare Pokemon, but battling Audino was a great way of leveling up some of my Pokemon. It would be a shame of losing that feature. I really like the idea of bringing back finding Pokemon underwater, but I could understand saving that for R/S remakes. Headbutting trees was okay, but covering them with honey rarely provided different Pokemon. Pokeradar was okay too. I really like the idea of having Sky routes and making the Pokemon appear in clouds. That would be a cool new way of finding Pokemon in the games.

I honestly feel like GF dug themselves into a hole with Audino. Getting rid of them or some equivalent ever in future games will probably be very poorly received just because it is such a simple alternative.

what if they made a city that was completely in the trees (similar to the city in Hoenn, but ALL the houses, and even the gym in the trees.) They could have multiple levels, making for a very large city in a small bit of map space. Pokemon could fly through, and there could be areas where you have to swing through lots of leaves. You could also walk through the branches and battle pokemon there.

This idea is pure awesomeness. And, it is also evidenced by the tree swinging thing we saw in the trailer. Which I would not be surprised if it wasn't a gym like we expect. In fact, it still could be the gym for the city that you said.

Oh yeah, as most of you say, I definitely want Rustling Grass, it made training a piece of cake. I don't really care much of the rippling water and other stuff, because they did not help in training.

But I think we should all note that the biggest reason most of us want Rustling grass is just because you get Audino (for training) and rare Pokemon (for catching.) If this is the case, I'd want them to introduce an alternative, that is easier to use than Rustling grass (but only when you know HOW to,) that gives us the same Pokemon that Rustling grass did.... I don't know why, but i just didn't like the feature for some reason..... Probably because there were so many times I was too lazy to use a repel, and while walking to the shaking grass, I'd encounter a Wild Pokemon......That made me feel like killing someone.

Of course, they can't make the new way to easy, but I want some way to stop ^that^ from happening. And make it less boring when trying to find these Pokemon, sometime I would almost fall asleep waiting for one of the grass patches to shake.

What else... Sky Routes....This is how I'd see it done. (Idea taken partially from Pokemon Ranger Guardian Signs.) When you use Fly (the HM) on a Pokemon outside of battle, to fly to a place as you would, you have the option of either directly flying to that place (ie the way we normally do it) or take your own flight to the place...

Basically, you'd be seen riding your Pokemon (hopefully not just a generic blue bird) in the sky, and some clouds would be flying past. I fyou go inside them, you have a chance of finding a wild Pokemon. And there could be different kinds of clouds, for finding different kinds of Pokemon. In the sky, you'd be able to get to unique places as well, and there could be specific clouds where you find rare Pokemon...

Which gives me another idea... If you are able to find Pokemon in cloud, then there could be a special cloud for finding Tornadus/Thundurus/Landorus (depending on version, like BW.) They have clouds on the bottom of their bodies, so that would make sense>

Just some thoughts............

I'd like to see a sort of beach area, so that within one area you can have dune grass, deep sand, shallow water, and surfing all within an area. You could potentially have a wide variety of types to have to deal with in a small area. That place on the west coast of Kalos actually looks like it could fit the bill.

If they don't bring phenomena back for gen 6, I will have to cry.

New ways of encountering Pokemon?!

I noticed in the new trailer that when you encounter Helioptile in the dessert, the screen says: "The Helioptile you stepped on attacked you!"
Stepped on????!!!!! in the past we encounterd Pokemon in tall grass, while surfing, and even fake Poke Balls we tried to collect. But STEPPED ON???!!!
Is helioptile going to be in disguise? And if so, what will he look like that we STEPPED ON IT?!

Re: New ways of encountering Pokemon?!

Probably just the fact it's small and you're walking in tall grass. Stepping on things tends to happen.

link

I guess there are just going to be multiple blurbs for wild Pokemon encounters.

I guess there are just going to be multiple blurbs for wild Pokemon encounters.

It can't be just that because your in the dessert! Through all generations I have never seen places where you STEP ON Pokemon. Unless it's deep sand like in Gen V, maybe

EDIT: I'm adding a screenshot I've captured:
Stepped on Helioptile.jpg

Last edited:
How about if the location a Pokemon is caught affects its stats. A starter or and in-game traded or event one gets a +10% boost. Pokemon closer to their natural habitat get a better boost +1-9% (Deep sea mons far offshore or Fire/ground/rock mons in the desert). Numbers can be tweaked but they're just examples.

^Remember, you always want more, so dessert has two s's. :p

Back on topic, yeah, I imagine that you would step on something, it would run away into the tall grass, and then it appears.

I think that with Helioptile's grey head, maybe you can climb on boulders freely, going from regular ground to boulder, and Helioptile is desguised as a boulder.
Remember that because the "tiles" mechanic is out the window maybe you can walk on objects other than solid ground.

Remember that because the "tiles" mechanic is out the window maybe you can walk on objects other than solid ground.
No, the "tiles" are still there to a degree, just not as readily visible anymore (what with 3D rendering and eight-way movement).

No, the "tiles" are still there to a degree, just not as readily visible anymore (what with 3D rendering and eight-way movement).

Oh, right! -_-' My bad. But it's still possible to climb on boulders, don't you think?

I think you're looking too much into it. The thing was buried in the sand, you stepped on it, it attacked. It's not like you see pokemon walk up to you when you're walking through a desert in previous games.

I think you're looking too much into it. The thing was buried in the sand, you stepped on it, it attacked. It's not like you see pokemon walk up to you when you're walking through a desert in previous games.

Yeah I think its just something like Voltorbs or Foongus.

Please note: The thread is from 11 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom