• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Weakest Pokemon movie?

TapLover

Reaction score
In my opinion, it's the kind which tries NOT to focus on Ash and the gang (eg. the Volcanion movie and the Darkrai one).

Also, Mewtwo Strikes Back Evolution for being a cheap CGI shot-by-shot recreation of the original (and the English dub (possibly keeping Mewtwo's boastful personalty from the JP dub) might not help).

My least favorite was certainly I Choose You, I really didn't get into it at all, the remake portions were less entertaining than original, it had a few moments I really disliked (the "real life" scene was one of my least favorite scenes ever), and the climax was pretty odd. Next least favorite would probably be the Keldeo movie, followed by the Hoopa movie, although those two were at least mildly entertaining. I was actually a pretty big fan of the Volcanion movie, much to my own surprise because I wasn't expecting to like it. I have liked pretty much all Pokemon movies, and I really wasn't bothered by the mythical of the day format like others seem to be, and certainly prefer it to remakes (but Power of Us was quite good also).

I think the weakest for me would have been either Mewtwo Strikes Back Evolution or Hoopa Clash of the Ages. The only problem is, I haven't seen them and am not planning on seeing them. I did turn on the Hoopa one, but I completely fell asleep during it for most of the film (shows how boring that one really was). So out of the ones I have watched, which is every other movie, I will have to say Genesect and the Legend Awakened. I remember being really excited for this movie before it came out, and I know I watched it, but I can't remember any of it. I remember Mega Mewtwo Y, and a red Genesect, and maybe Ash hovering around on said Red Genesect (but even that part I'm foggy about).

Some runner ups would have to be the Black and White movies with Victini in them, which caught me a bit with some of the side characters, and the Diancie movie that didn't catch my interest at all, but at least I somewhat remember it.

I will also mention Destiny Deoxys, but I think it's one of the movies I have to rewatch. I didn't like it much when I first watched, but it's been a bit too long since then to really decide if that's how I feel about it.

I'd have to go with the Kyurem movie. That one just doesn't have much going for it for me. But I think the BW and XY movies in general are rather weak.

Also this might fit better in the Controversial Opinions thread, but I'm really not a fan of either I Choose You or The Power of Us and was pretty disappointed by them. I'd far from call them the worst ones however.

The list of movies that I think are weak:

-Mewtwo Strikes Back Evolution
-Volcanion and the Mechanical Marvel
-Hoopa and the Clash of Ages
-Diancie and the Cocoon of Destruction
-Victini Black and White movies movies

Hoopa and the Clash of Ages is easily the worst of the bunch, just a massive Legendary Pokémon w**kfest that has literally nothing else to show except for the absolutely irritating Hoopa which drags the entire thing down into a bin.

Special mention goes to I Choose You!, a film that I actually went to see at the cinema. I came in excited to finally see a Pokémon film on the big screen and after the credits rolled I came out frowning in disgust and thinking "Hmmm, now I understand why TPCI decide to dump these films straight to DVD!". The entire thing just felt ridiculously rushed beyond comparison (almost as if it was a 50 minute TV special), Not Misty and Not Brock were dull uninteresting characters, Marshadow should have been booted off the stage considering that darn ol' thing served no purpose to the film (could have shown up wearing a moustache and touching it constantly and even then I would have felt the same) and asides from the infamous Pikachu talking scene and him reacting to Ash's death (but not really) even the climax failed to impress.

Sure, it has some of the finest animation these movies have seen but if you've got bad writing rearing it's ugly head all over the place then why should we care?

And I don't think I even need to watch Mewtwo Strikes Back: Evolution to let you know that that will be to Japanese anime what The Lion King remake will be to American animation.
Except in Mewtwo's case it's remaking a film that wasn't even that good to begin with so it lost the moment they announced it.

I maintain that the worst film is Pokémon Ranger and the Temple of the Sea - Manaphy because it's long, boring and the climax is nonsensical. It still has redeeming qualities like the scenes involving May and Manaphy however.

Hoopa on the other hand would be even worse were it not mercifully shorter. Possessed Ash was literally trailer clickbait and the whole second half of the movie is just Pokémon but it's by Michael Bay. It didn't help that the movie made no attempt to hide that it really wanted you to buy Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire, with the advertising being for more blatant than any other movie before or since. The fact that Volcanion was so much better tells me that the executives realised they messed up the Hoopa movie and decided to take a less intrusive approach to that one.

Mewtwo Strikes Back - Evolution is also up there, purely because there's literally no reason for it to waste a movie slot and they cut the Ambertwo stuff, despite that being the highlight of the original. They basically took a movie that already existed and honestly wasn't even that good outside the nostalgia of Pokémania being in full effect, and remade it but worse and without any of the nostalgic elements that make people still enjoy the original. The fact that The Power of Us was so damn good just makes it that mich more disappointing that we got an unnecessary remake literally nobody asked for instead of another film as good as that one.

For me it would be Hoopa and the Clash of ages. The plot was pretty dull, the main characters kinda felt dragged to the plot and seems more forced, Hoopa was extremley annoying , and even the overall setting where the main characters take place didn't make any sense at all and felt pretty rushed. Pretty much it was such a boring and dull movie to watch for me and easily the weakest Pokemon movie from the series so far imo.

Last edited:
I hate like half of the movies, but I feel like Destiny Deoxys is the weakest one in terms of the pacing and overall plot. I especially disliked the last 15 minutes where the robot thingies just go crazy and totally make Rayquaza vs Deoxys seem irrelevant since there's never a proper conclusion to that fight. A lot of the movies have anti-climax now that I think about it, but the Deoxys movie just pisses me off. Idk why.

Every BW and XY movie except for the first half of the Volcanion movie and some parts of the Genesect movie. They were honestly just complete trash, with lots of dumb logic, boring moments, weak writing and bad CGI.

Honorable mention goes to the first movie remake, which is just a blatant cash grab that has hideous claymation.

Last edited:
I really liked the movies in OS and AG but in DP they were just OK. After DP they started to be really bad because they focus so much on the legendaries while the human characters feel like props.

SM movies are at least a little bit more creative but they also feel a little messy and like Gen 1 pandering. I actually really liked movie 21 because it finally focused on human characters again even if it felt a little random since it's probably the only movie that can't be tied into to the narrative of the main anime at all. Satoshi also felt irrelevant in movie 21 which is super weird?

My least favorite was certainly I Choose You, I really didn't get into it at all, the remake portions were less entertaining than original, it had a few moments I really disliked (the "real life" scene was one of my least favorite scenes ever), and the climax was pretty odd. Next least favorite would probably be the Keldeo movie, followed by the Hoopa movie, although those two were at least mildly entertaining. I was actually a pretty big fan of the Volcanion movie, much to my own surprise because I wasn't expecting to like it. I have liked pretty much all Pokemon movies, and I really wasn't bothered by the mythical of the day format like others seem to be, and certainly prefer it to remakes (but Power of Us was quite good also).

I think the concept of the scene was interesting but it would have worked better in the Darkrai movie where it was originally supposed to be. It feels a little out of context in a movie that already has a confusing narrative. Movie 20 really made things more complicated than they needed to be.

I hate like half of the movies, but I feel like Destiny Deoxys is the weakest one in terms of the pacing and overall plot. I especially disliked the last 15 minutes where the robot thingies just go crazy and totally make Rayquaza vs Deoxys seem irrelevant since there's never a proper conclusion to that fight. A lot of the movies have anti-climax now that I think about it, but the Deoxys movie just pisses me off. Idk why.

I liked that one up until the robot part, it could have done without that.

Got to agree that the BW and XY movies are, in my opinion, the weakest of the bunch. Like to the point where I cannot actively distinguish the major differences between them or even remember their plots. I think I pretty much watched each of those once and that was it; they were just so boring. I guess out of those I have slightly more of a soft spot for Victini and Zekrom since it was the first Pokemon movie I saw in theaters since I was a kid...but it still wasn't a "good" movie.

I'm (pleasantly?) surprised to see a lot of people actually didn't like I Choose You. I didn't either; it's definitely not as bad as the messes BW and XY brought us, but the bland, useless companion characters were just brutal. They quite honestly dragged the whole movie down for me. I really think they would have been better off just going with Ash and Pikachu rather than including those two.

Hoopa by far.

I have extremely low standards. If you can't make a good plot, then make it look pleasant. This was not pleasing to look at. It was kaiju shooting beams and orbs at each other. At least animate the movie well.

Diance and the Cocoon of Destruction is the weakest of the movies I remember.

I Choose You makes me weap...

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom