• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Weaponry in the Pokémon World

Drakon

Requiem Raver
Reaction score
I know this is a Bulbapedia article but I thought it would be an interesting discussion topic.

Obviously, traditional weapons do exist in the anime but we really have no idea to what extent they are used. One would assume that Pokémon supplanted firearms but to what extent? One would also assume that there are some people who choose a firearm over Pokémon for protection (and vice-versa) and soldiers/police officers/security guards/criminals may use both.

And regarding the episode where Ash fucks up a training exercise by attacking the "thief" with his Pikachu; I believe he earns a lecture from an Officer Jenny that warns him about attacking an armed opponent. I assume that firearms do pose a threat to some Pokémon (mostly the smaller Pokémon who are not Rock, Ground, Steel or Ghost types). But some of the attacks that Pokémon use are as deadly if deadlier than getting shot.

There is also the question: can Pokémon die a violent death or they cannot die from violence but can die of any other means?

Admittedly it is a somewhat random topic but after writing my own fan fic, watching a few of the early Kanto era episodes and reading some other fan fics, I just got to thinking.

Last edited:
i once thought of the same thing way back when that kento episode showed the thief with the gun i just did'nt think to hard on it

i use to belived pokemon could die if they where shot attacked by a pokemon much beyond there level or continued being attacked once k.o. or by other means depending on the pokemon ex. onix drowning

and thought about the fact that in the pokemon world,game & anime there was a great pokewar & there is an america in game only which made me wounder what the war was like did america go to war with the 4 regions or did 2 of the 4 regions go to war

There is also the question: can Pokémon die a violent death or they cannot die from violence but can die of any other means?

I think they CAN die from attacks from whatever sort, trainers just show restraint when they're battling like a sport. Aren't there several references to pokemon eating other pokemon in the wild? How would the predators make the kill if not through the same kind of attacks they use in battle? (Also, if Pokemon couldn't pose a lethal threat to each other in the wild, why would all the various attacks and defenses and all the rest of it exist? They wouldn't need them.)

i once thought of the same thing way back when that kento episode showed the thief with the gun i just did'nt think to hard on it

i use to belived pokemon could die if they where shot attacked by a pokemon much beyond there level or continued being attacked once k.o.

and thought about the fact that in the pokemon world,game & anime there was a great pokewar & there is an america in game only which made me wounder what the war was like did america go to war with the 4 regions or did 2 of the 4 regions go to war

The only weapons we really see belong to TR or other bad guys. I think Pokémon should be able to die. And I guess they can. Anyone remeber the Marowak spirit in R/B/Y/FR/LG killed by Team Rocket? I would assume a gun or too much attacking killed it. The Pokédex also states a Cubone's mother dies after giving birth.

Pokemon aren't invincible; I say they could die from anything that we could die from. They just have better resilience I guess?

I also wonder about how Pokemon never bleed. I mean, they get attacked like that, shouldn't it break skin? I always thought that was weird.

Pokemon aren't invincible; I say they could die from anything that we could die from. They just have better resilience I guess?

I also wonder about how Pokemon never bleed. I mean, they get attacked like that, shouldn't it break skin? I always thought that was weird.

They don't bleed because it's a kid's show. :p

As for Pokemon not being hurt by conventional means...I don't know about all that. I think it's all a matter of what the writers need to happen in each episode.

Mewtwo and other power Pokemon can't Normal ones I think could be easily hurt just not by emerying there supposed to.

They don't bleed because it's a kid's show. :p

As for Pokemon not being hurt by conventional means...I don't know about all that. I think it's all a matter of what the writers need to happen in each episode.

Pokemon bleed in the manga... why not the show...

Oh yeah, 4Kids. Never mind.

My guess is that there are just more restrictions on owning weapons, which is why only law enforcement (I guess the Safari Zone warden counts) or criminals (who don't own them legally anyway) would have them.

Their weapons (or a lot of them) are pretty different from ours anyway, though, due to their differing technology. I mean, they have guns that fire nets and electric beams, and indeed pokemon have got to be capable of fatally injuring a human. Although with the number of times Twerp Boy has his pokemon attack people, it makes me wonder what the hell their laws are.

I agree that pokemon COULD die in battle but it's just looked down upon for trainers to force them that hard; it's probably what they meant in GSC about the rival being too "harsh". In the wild, it obviously happens, because they do eat each other.

At least we have learned that it's not illegal for old wardens to point guns at young children in the Pokémon world.

Their weapons (or a lot of them) are pretty different from ours anyway, though, due to their differing technology. I mean, they have guns that fire nets and electric beams, and indeed pokemon have got to be capable of fatally injuring a human. Although with the number of times Twerp Boy has his pokemon attack people, it makes me wonder what the hell their laws are.

I agree that pokemon COULD die in battle but it's just looked down upon for trainers to force them that hard; it's probably what they meant in GSC about the rival being too "harsh". In the wild, it obviously happens, because they do eat each other.

Good point about the laws. I think using a Pokémon attack on a Human could count as use of deadly force unless the trainer felt that they were in danger of their life. In that case, then Ash should have had his ass arrested many times over for the times he did just that.

Definitely something to think about. Of course, though the anime does leave a lot of plot holes, it makes for an interesting conversation. For some reason, I can't really think of guns in the pokemon world as a main type of weaponry used to threaten people.

Other than the self defense argument, I want to say Ash is mostly in the wilderness, or at least not in a major city, when he attacks someone with Pokemon. I'm not sure, since I haven't watched the anime in years. But anyway, if that's the case, then we can treat those cases as a street brawl; sure if an officer walked by, someone would get in trouble, but otherwise it would just be a case of "I fell down some stairs, doc... they were on fire."

Either that, or like most anime, they're just relying on Rule of Cool, knowing that suspension of disbelief is a little easier with a kid's cartoon.

My guess is that there are just more restrictions on owning weapons, which is why only law enforcement (I guess the Safari Zone warden counts) or criminals (who don't own them legally anyway) would have them.

I agree 100%, especially on eating each other, because the Pokédex says Sneasel eat Pidgey eggs amd Pidgeot eat Magikarp(poor karp :( ). If one counts Snap as a reference, the Meowth in the first level was trying to eat Pidgey eggs.

Please note: The thread is from 14 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom