• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Weather Patterns, Seasons, Day/Night cycles, and Terrain Changes

Lanstar

The Cutest of Ladies
Reaction score
In generation 2, they introduced the Day/Night cycle, and since Generation 3, there have been Overworld alterations and weather involved in playing the adventure. Then in Gen. 5, there were the 4 Seasons that alternated and changed the Overworld as well, though that didn't come back in Gen 6.

To me, the 'Sun and Moon' theme looks like a great opportunity to integrate these features. The Day/Night could actually become relevant again to the adventure, given that Sun and Moon could represent Day and Night. The two pieces also the reason the Earth has seasons, as well as changing the weather...

What do you all think? Do you think Gamefreak would bring back the seasons, and make the Day/Night cycle not just merely a "cosmetic" feature, and more of a "cosmic" one? :LOL:

Do discuss the powers of the Cosmos in these matters, whether or not you think they'll be relevant in the upcoming games.

I would love seasons to come back. I know some people considered it a pointless inclusion but I thought it was neat how some areas opened up depending on the seasonal changes. I do think they should make them weekly rather than monthly though. Having to wait a whole month to see the other seasons is a bit unfair as most people won't take that long to play through and they'll miss out.

I skipped Gen. 5, so I don't know what I thought of the seasons... However, I have played The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons, and changing the seasons to open new paths and find secrets was really fun! I hope they bring back seasons too... and maybe even let you 'wield' them with the Legendary Pokemon somehow. :p

I skipped Gen.
First off, play them because Gen V is objectively the best Pokemon games we have and will ever have, and are the pinnacle of what human society can create.

Second, seasons are something I want back. I agree with Zeb, in that you could totally miss out on multiple seasons in a playthrough because they last too long. BW/BW2 take, what, 2 weeks to beat? It's a total waste. Plus having shorter seasons makes it feel like more time is passing in-universe.

If we don't get seasons, I'll be disappointed. Aside from the visual effects (which could be great in 3D), it could lead to more season-based Pokemon designs. I want my Deerling to change. I don't see it coming back, at least in full force, because we till got a shitton to cover to make a memorable game for the 20th anniversary, and seasons are relatively a very small feature. But I'd still like them.

But my main priority is them fixing day/night. It felt so minor in XY, like it only felt like it got a few shades darker.

Last edited:
First off, play them because Gen V is objectively the best Pokemon games we have and will ever have, and are the pinnacle of what human society can create.
I defy objectivity!

Personally, I feel like so few games include seasons. I really like the idea and I think it has promise. I just think it requires more extreme variations and effects on the world and may need to occur on a weekly basis.

Does anyone remember how the Lake of Rage swelled in the rain in HGSS? We don't see stuff like that anymore. What if random weather did alter the landscape more? What if the seasons created new paths and led to entire new areas, not just extra ledges and out of the way items.

I understand why some may not like it. It can bog the game down and prevent you from getting to places you really do want to go to. Maybe they can use the riding pokemon mechanic as a way to get around that problem.

They really should allow riding pokemon on a grander scale.

On top of the addition of Snow as a weather effect in battle (giving Ice a 50% Defense boost and a 50% boost in Ice-type moves), there should definitely be BW-style weather in the overworld. It just makes the game feel so much more alive.

I certainly would not complain if Seasons returned. They were a fun and diverse part of Gen V, and how the region changed, and locations altered due to weather changes. It really made worth revisiting old routes worth it as you may be able to access an area/item you couldn't before. The same applies to weather changes in game as well - I'd like to see more of those. Route 119 in Hoenn sticks out to me because of the constant rain.

As for the Day/Night cycle, I'd like more day/night events that were time-focused or based on the time of day. Day/night already affects Pokemon availability in many locations. I second Karamazov's notion that the lighting & changes between night & day should be more drastic. I kindof prefer playing at night due to these aesthetical changes tbh.

I really would want:
-swamp terrain(mudd+moss, for Bug type),
-desert terrain (for ground, sand based )
- ice based terrain(this type needs a terrain for hp)

and abilities or moves to cast them and those three that we already got.
And have certain weather have an effect on certain terrains.

Electric Terrain should make Thunder 100% accurate. Likewise for Grassy Terrain w/ Power Whip and Misty Terrain if we get a powerful yet inaccurate Fairy-type move. The same goes for a possible Icy Terrain w/ Blizzard, Rocky Terrain w/ Stone Edge, etc.

Weather Patterns: Sure, why not. So long as there aren't a ton of pokemon that require certain weather to evolve (annoying feature if you can't find said weather easily) I actually like the idea of weather. It's pretty nice.

Seasons: While nice... I can't say I enjoy the idea of things being blocked off/accessible only for a whole month or whatever while the season happens. Personally Spring and Fall are my favorite of seasons... and winter in game is a big annoying and depressing with all the trees being leafless. If the seasons were appearance only, I'd be fine with it.

Day/night: It should always be in the games. Especially if they have pokemon that appear more during the day or night! As long as it's just a 12 hour day/night split and not something stupid like morning/day/evening/night pokemon. It's a lot easier to try and play twice in a day as opposed to four specific time frames in my opinion.

Terrain Changes: Eh... I'm not big on those. I don't want to get somewhere and find out I have to wait an hour/day/week/month to get to a certain spot on the route. Feels like I'm getting punished for not being there at the right time. Especially frustrating if you could get there if you'd bought and played the game the day it was released. That would feel like you're getting punished for buying the game late.

If seasons come back, I want them to match the month instead of cycling three times a year. December through February is Winter, March through May is Spring. June through August is Summer and September through November is Autumn.

If seasons come back, I want them to match the month instead of cycling three times a year. December through February is Winter, March through May is Spring. June through August is Summer and September through November is Autumn.
The problem with that is that half the world starts in one season and the other half in the opposite. Then the majority of players only really experience one season before putting the game down. GameFreak does not (usually) like to employ decisions like this. Many of their statements in Gen 6 demonstrated their awareness of lessened game time available to players

On top of the addition of Snow as a weather effect in battle (giving Ice a 50% Defense boost and a 50% boost in Ice-type moves), there should definitely be BW-style weather in the overworld. It just makes the game feel so much more alive.

Woah!! That is some strong changes you are wanting to make in snowfall. Sand only gives rock a 50% to Special Def and damages non-rock/steel/ground types. Also halves Moonlight/Synthesis/Morning Sun's healing, and halves Solar Beam's damage. Those last two it already shares with Ice. Neither need to be powered up, they are powerful enough already.

I do want Castform to get a rock type form though, to match weatherball.

Seasons will likely return I gander that their exclusion was tecchnical, but I have been over this already. Anyway it would be a bit daft not to include them, hell they should be central to the games, much more so then Day/Nights return in DP. What i mean is that, beyond the obvious gameplay and world application extensipn to be brought to the table, much like DP with the day/night music, expanded Pokemon choicea based on the time of the day and so on, there should be focus on them based on the titles as well. Besides the obvious Eclipse motif the sun and moon logos depict, there is also the Winter/Summer Solstice and Spring/Fall Equinox to consider, which are tied to the length of the day, and the prominence of the sun and moon respectively. I am not suggesting something silly like having 2 seasons per game, nor exclusive features, just that on top of all the MOTHERFUCKING SPACE ideas popping up, people shpuld be looking to Mother Earth instead and the effects on nature the two celestial bodies created.

The problem with that is that half the world starts in one season and the other half in the opposite. Then the majority of players only really experience one season before putting the game down. GameFreak does not (usually) like to employ decisions like this. Many of their statements in Gen 6 demonstrated their awareness of lessened game time available to players

Well, either it's real time seasons or no seasons. And if there's no seasons in Sun and Moon, it'll make sense if the region is tropical, which it will likely be.

Well, either it's real time seasons or no seasOns and if there's no seasons in Sun and Moon, it'll make sense if the region is tropical, which it will likely be.
Well, BW did fine with a new season each month. I don't agree that there are only two options.

Though now that I think on it, a tropical setting would experience seasons differently than a temperate region. Monsoon season perhaps?

Well, BW did fine with a new season each month. I don't agree that there are only two options.

Though now that I think on it, a tropical setting would experience seasons differently than a temperate region. Monsoon season perhaps?

BW did fine? I disagree. It feels awkward to not have the season match real time. September, February, March and August are set on the opposite season of real time of well, in where I am. If you are in the south, you may be comfortable with those months. But then there's May, June, November, and December that matches the seasons in the north. Then there's January, October, July and April which wouldn't match any real time seasons on either side. With only a third of the year in the correct season, I find that season gimmick broken. I'd rather have Winter to be December, January and February, not April and August.

BW did fine? I disagree. It feels awkward to not have the season match real time. September, February, March and August are set on the opposite season of real time of well, in where I am. If you are in the south, you may be comfortable with those months. But then there's May, June, November, and December that matches the seasons in the north. Then there's January, October, July and April which wouldn't match any real time seasons on either side. With only a third of the year in the correct season, I find that season gimmick broken. I'd rather have Winter to be December, January and February, not April and August.

While that would be nice, I don't think it would work out. Unless it's purely aesthetic, in which case what's the point? They could never make a Pokemon sync up with real world time on a level like Animal Crossing. Not only are there regions with flipped seasons, there are regions that barely even HAVE seasons. If you lived in Nevada and got a game advertised as "matching the real world!" then you would be very confused in September when your game suddenly turns all the leaves brown.

I honestly think the month-by-month change was good in Unova. It gave the game a sense of freshness every few weeks and you didn't have to wait painfully long for anything of importance, just an item or so.

While that would be nice, I don't think it would work out. Unless it's purely aesthetic, in which case what's the point? They could never make a Pokemon sync up with real world time on a level like Animal Crossing. Not only are there regions with flipped seasons, there are regions that barely even HAVE seasons. If you lived in Nevada and got a game advertised as "matching the real world!" then you would be very confused in September when your game suddenly turns all the leaves brown.

Right. And with the games being made in Japan, we can assume that that is the seasonal system that it would follow.

Personally, I would prefer a biweekly rate. A little less breakneck speed than a weekly rate, but not as much of a wait as a monthly one.

Please note: The thread is from 8 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom