• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Weird/funny/cool Pokémon facts.

Don't know if this has allready been mentioned (or if anyone really cares) but I've allways found it interesting that
in the isle of giant Pokémons it was Bulbasaur ho allways said that Ash had abandoned them,
and yet charmander ended to not listening him.

Meh...

Hitmonlee is (supposedly) based on Bruce LEE.
Hitmonchan is (supposedly) based on Jackie CHAN.

Hitmontop? CHUCK NORRIS!
Don't believe me? Hitmontop spins it's feet around...ROUND HOUSE KICK.

Or, you know, a spinning top.

I wonder if a Chuck Norris based one would be called "Hitmonchuk" or "Hitmonoris" (if constrained to names of 10 characters)?

Or, you know, a spinning top.

I wonder if a Chuck Norris based one would be called "Hitmonchuk" or "Hitmonoris" (if constrained to names of 10 characters)?

lol. I just heard it as a rumour...Mighta just been a joke. Still funny though. :)

nintendo/GF progammed a lava cookie under the infamous truck in FR/LG, and you can actually use strength to get it.
There is a lava cookie NEAR the truck, but you don't move the truck to get it.

Hitmonlee is (supposedly) based on Bruce LEE.
Hitmonchan is (supposedly) based on Jackie CHAN.

Again, this is another American-only thing. Hitmonlee's Japanese name is Sawamular, a reference to kickboxer Tadashi Sawamura; Hitmonchan's Japanese name, Ebiwalar, derives from boxer Hiroyuki Ebihara.

Hitmontop? CHUCK NORRIS!
Don't believe me? Hitmontop spins it's feet around...ROUND HOUSE KICK.

Nice try, but Hitmontop's Japanese name is Kapoerar, obviously derived from the Brazilian martial art of capoiera, which involves a lot of spinning kicks.

It still surprises me how often people forget Pokémon is Japanese.

Again, this is another American-only thing. Hitmonlee's Japanese name is Sawamular, a reference to kickboxer Tadashi Sawamura; Hitmonchan's Japanese name, Ebiwalar, derives from boxer Hiroyuki Ebihara.

Nice try, but Hitmontop's Japanese name is Kapoerar, obviously derived from the Brazilian martial art of capoiera, which involves a lot of spinning kicks.

It still surprises me how often people forget Pokémon is Japanese.

Except as you mentioned yourself, the Hitmon names are not Japanese.

I can, because the name "Mr. Mime" is an American-made remnant from the days before Pokémon had genders. Its Japanese name, Barrierd, is gender-neutral.

And... that's no exuse the English name was already known weel before Genders came out Mr. Mime should've been Male Only from the start..

Don't know if it has been mentioned before on this thread (my internet has issues and is a bit slow), but many for a long time thought pokemon was from the USA (Probably those who saw the English anime back in 1999 when it first aired)

All the main Professors are named after trees in English: Oak, Elm, Birch, Rowan. A few other characters have also plant names in English: Ash and Professor Ivy being two.

3 of the 4 previous main regions have had names that are related to plants and describe a part of a plant in a way (see bold) (Pallet town isn't one as its referred to as a new town, beginning or white etc... in different languages):

Johto: New Bark
Hoenn: Littleroot
Sinnoh: Twinleaf

Struggle move has 4 in coolness in contest even though it can't be used in a contest as it cannot be naturally learned (except via hacking)

Many people think Pokemon Yellow is another version of RBG but its actually not, it was made so that fans of the anime could play as Ash through the only region there was at the time.

There is a ??? type, but no pokemon outside of an eff can be that type normally, only the move curse can be if its not used by a ghost. Arceus has ??? but it can't be this type without hacking.

At the start of the anime (back in 1999) anime titles had things like "Pokémon - I Choose You!" "Pokémon Emergency!" "The Ninja Poké-Showdown" and "The Flame Pokémon-athon!" but very rarley now do we get pokemon anime episodes with "poké" or "pokémon" in the title.

Don't know if it has been mentioned before on this thread (my internet has issues and is a bit slow), but many for a long time thought pokemon was from the USA (Probably those who saw the English anime back in 1999 when it first aired)

Or maybe due to the fact that people were (still is) lazy and didn't change the credits from English to the local language.

Except as you mentioned yourself, the Hitmon names are not Japanese.

That's the point. The Hitmon names are not Japanese, and not the original names, and they have nothing to do with what the Pokemon were based on. Hitmonlee was based on kickboxing, not Bruce Lee; Hitmonchan was based on a boxer, not Jackie Chan; and Hitmontop was based on capoiera, not Chuck Norris.

That's the point. The Hitmon names are not Japanese, and not the original names, and they have nothing to do with what the Pokemon were based on. Hitmonlee was based on kickboxing, not Bruce Lee; Hitmonchan was based on a boxer, not Jackie Chan; and Hitmontop was based on capoiera, not Chuck Norris.

Ah, I misread, I thought Bttsstewart was only talking about the names.

Rattata and Raticate had their species name changed. If this was already posted, then accept this: Pikachu that get domesticated get to like people food.

Here's me over thinking the version titles.

Disregarding them as colours, Gen II's versions use the two metals Gold and Silver.
Soon after the series continued with a version named after the precious stone Crystal.
This started a trend throughout Gen III with R/S/E. Gen IV followed III's precious stone usage with Diamond and Pearl but returned to metal for its 3rd game, Platinum. This was the third metal to be used in a version title.

If you think about Gen II and IV as the two prime numbered generations so far, it is quite ironic that they reverse each other with the numbers of metals and stones. Gen II's versions have two metals and the first stone, while Gen IV versions reverses the formula with two stones and single metal.

One could wonder if Platinum's title was a hint towards a return to metal titled games, in other words HG/SS's upcoming release.

I think I've gone WAY over the top with this, so feel free to be critical!

Another anime one, most of Ash's pokemon evolutions have been Team Rocket based and around trying to stop them... Donphan and Sceptile being two, even Dawn's Swinub evolved to stop team rocket.

In the first two regions Ash visited in anime which had starter pokemon was the only regions that Ash had all three starters at some point. This was probably to do with the fact that Misty didn't have a starter pokemon in Kanto and in Johto there was no rival to get starter.

Ash has had several pokeon with the same part type, but only ever had one electric pokemon, pikachu.

At no point in the anime did any of the main characters (those in the gang, e.g Brock, Ash, Girl, not rivals etc..) catch the same pokemon, thus in the party of all the characters of the gang there wasn't two of the same pokemon, however a main character has had a pokemon that one of the other characters already did, may's Bulbasaur being one as Ash had one, but Ash's bulbasaur was not caught or used in the same region.

One other fact: Wether or not you think something to do with pokemon seems stupid or makes little sense, everything does make sense if you look up its origins, some things can be interesting too, like Snorunts origins.

Bulbasaur can learn charm via breeding, but Chikorita can't, despite being the more effeminate of the starters.

At no point in the anime did any of the main characters (those in the gang, e.g Brock, Ash, Girl, not rivals etc..) catch the same pokemon

That is debatable, Ash caught 30 Tauros and even one of those was clearly caught by Brock.

And... that's no exuse the English name was already known weel before Genders came out Mr. Mime should've been Male Only from the start..

Why should the people who gave it a GENDER NEUTRAL name have to change the game because of an English mistake? And if you're suggesting the translators go into the games coding and make it male-only, that would cause issues with trading with foriegn games and the original creators of the game might even have a problem with it.

Please note: The thread is from 12 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom