• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Weird/Funny Video Game Boxart

Juliyet

Formerly "Sheeer" | pfp by KTG | Sig art by Okido
Reaction score
Pronouns
  1. She/Her
Boxart, a very important part of a video game that has to sell you on the game with an artistic representation of it. With there being a tons of games, there's bound to be some boxarts that stand for being weird, gaudy, not representing the game the best, just plain funny etc.

So I ask, what is some wacky boxart that's stood out to you? Please remember to put images larger than 500x500px in spoiler tabs.

For me personally, nothing will ever top Karnaaj Rally. An apparently quite good combat racing game for the GBA with this legendary art:
Karnaaj_Rally (2).jpg
And no, photoshopped blue hair guy is not in the game.

For those unaware, Bust-A-Move (AKA Puzzle Bobble) is an arcade puzzle game series, which features cute little dinosaur mascots popping colorful bubbles. It's a fun, simple multiplayer game with some really charming artwork and character designs.

Anyway this is what they decided the NA PlayStation box art should look like:
superbam_box1.jpg
54m1x7golmv71.jpg

It's kinda basic, but I think it kinda has to be mentioned: Kirby's random box-art edits in US releases of the games. It's not even strictly out of character, Kirby can and will get pissed if you give him reason. It's just such a random and funny change to make.
1704269917995.png
1704269752384.png

another infamous example with suikoden 1's NA box art.
unnamed.jpg

For those unaware, Bust-A-Move (AKA Puzzle Bobble) is an arcade puzzle game series, which features cute little dinosaur mascots popping colorful bubbles. It's a fun, simple multiplayer game with some really charming artwork and character designs.

Anyway this is what they decided the NA PlayStation box art should look like:
I was hoping someone would mention these. I have 2X (AKA arcade edition) on saturn and thought it was so bizzare.

i came here to mention the infamous mega man box art, i'm actually glad to see i've been beat to the chase.
here are some comically bad ones:
1704469457586.png
1704469545587.png
1704469965689.png
1704469871565.png
1704470071024.png
1704470140590.png
1704470232350.png
last but certainly not least
1704470566392.png
like, holy crap... that's just a little embarrassing.

last but certainly not least

like, holy crap... that's just a little embarrassing.
That FIFA one looks like something I could whip up in paint.net in 45 minutes lmao

I can't believe nobody here has posted the all-time hood classic of bad boxart, the one and only Mystery of the Druids
YEEEEESSSS

I was planning to mention this one eventually.

Iconic

Here's one I'm a bit surprised wasn't brought up yet.

Take a look at this art for Ico on the PS2 used for the Japanese and European releases. Simplistic, visually appealing and matches the game's vibes and aesthetic. Really great boxart
Ico_cover_-_EU+JP.jpg

Meanwhile we in North America got gaudy glossy cgi models reminiscent of a turn of the millennium magazine cover
Ico_north_american_cover.jpg

I have a series of YouTube videos where I talk about the covers of things, mainly video games. Let me find some weird ones I've talked about...

SimPeople-LoveLoveDate-BoxArt.jpg

These models were not designed to be seen up-close. (The Sims: Hot Date)

Spyro Season of Ice [JP].jpg

Why does Sparx look like Rayman? (Spyro: Season of Ice)

Spyro the Dragon [EU] reverse.jpg

And here, he looks traumatised. (Spyro the Dragon)

Viva Pinata [NA - with bonuses].jpg

If I had sleep paralysis, this would be my demon.

Back
Top Bottom