• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Welcome to the redesigned Bulbagarden Forums!

Status
Not open for further replies.

evkl

Person-about-Bulba
Reaction score
Hey guys! Welcome to the new, redesigned BMGf.

Index – feel free to search this post by these codes to jump to what you want to see.
F01: Why the redesign?
F02: What the redesign means
F03: Where did (my favorite forum) go? (A quick reference guide to the big changes.)
F04: What's the purpose of each forum?
A01: Appendix; list of all forums and their subforums.

F01: Why the Redesign?

Things were good yesterday. So why the change?

Because this is even better.

We aren't changing for the sake of doing it, I can promise you that. This change was well-thought-out, deliberated over the course of well over a month, with input from all of our moderators and those with access to the Bulbagarden Development Forum. The change was undertaken with two primary goals: one, re-focus Bulbagarden as a Pokémon fansite, and two, make Bulbagarden more accessible to users of all ages.

To the first, you'll notice that we've condensed our top-level forums and taken away many of the general discussion forums from the top heading, pushing them farther down our list. This change was done, again, to emphasize Pokémon as the site's focus. We strive, as always, to provide both breadth and depth with regards to our topic of interest. We want to be expansive, to provide information and a forum for discussion on every aspect of the fandom. At the same time, depth is critical—simply having forums is not enough for a community. The forums need to be staffed with knowledgeable moderators and be a home for insightful members.

With respect to the second point, that we want to make Bulbagarden more accessible to users of all ages, we've designed the remaining forums to provide a wide range of discussion topics. While a wide range of discussion was encouraged prior to the reshuffle, this change allows for wider variety to be pursued. Entertainment, science, and the news are given renewed focus. We haven't neglected anime, manga, or creative content, either; every aspect of the forums has been either maintained or enhanced.

These new forums are designed to provide a better user experience for everyone. They're organized more logically, pieced together more purposefully, with the intent of improving your time spent on them. Simply put, these forums are better than the ones you viewed yesterday.

On the whole, forums are a bit of a dying art; they're very, well, old. With everyone blogging these days, forums—places for everyone to interact—are falling by the wayside. Why listen to others when you only really need to listen to yourself? But we feel that interaction is important. It's what builds a fandom, and a community, and we want this interaction, the meeting, greeting, agreeing, and disagreeing that takes place on BMGf to continue for a very long time. That's why you see a different forum design today.

F02: What the redesign means.
So how does this affect you?

A few forums are shifted around—more on that in section three—but the rules remain the same. It's still the same community, the same mods, and the same topics.

All users are expected to post the appropriate topics in their respective forums. As we adjust to the switch, moderators are going to be lenient on topics that are posted in the wrong area, moving them to where they need to go with no penalty. However, we ask that you please make an effort to acquaint yourself with our new layout. It's a transition period for all of us.

Other than that...follow the same forum rules that have always been in place. New forums should have posts guiding you with respect to what belongs, and what doesn't. If you're unclear, feel free to ask that forum's moderator, or any administrator. We're here to help.

F03: Where did (my favorite forum) go? (A quick reference guide to the big changes.)
A few of the key moves are listed below:

Pokémon World and Pokémon General have merged.

Shipping is moved under Pokémon General.

Older Games is moved to a subforum of Pokémon Games.

The Real World and The Soap Box have merged into On The News.

Ancora Imparo and the technology aspect of Geeky Misc. are now a part of Science & Technology.

Entertainment covers a lot of different forums, including (but not limited to) the Comics Corner and Geeky Misc.

Bulbagarden Buy-and-Sell are now a part of the Bulbagarden Projects header.

Outside the Box has been renamed The Lounge, and is the place for all miscellaneous discussion.

Clubs has been moved under the “Outside the Box” heading, but its name remains the same.

The Hall of Shame no longer allows posting.

F04: What's the purpose of each forum?
Each new forum will have a post explaining its topics. If those are unclear, feel free to contact that forum's moderator, or any administrator.

A01: Appendix

A note: This does not include any moderator-exclusive forums. Top-level forums are marked with numbers; subforums, with their number designation, and then a letter signifying order.

Bulbagarden General
1:Announcement/Rules
1A:FAQ
2:Garden Grotto
2A:Suggestions Box - self-explanatory.
3: Bulbanews

Pokemon
1:pokemon General
1a: Shipping
2:pokemon Video Games
2a:RMT
2b:Wireless Garden
2C:Older Games
3:pokemon Anime
4:TCG/TFG
5: Other Poke-media

The World Beyond
1:On the News
2:Science & Technology
3:Land of the Rising Sun
4:Entertainment, Inc

Creative Corner
1: Writer's Corner
1a: Fanfic Archive
2: Artist's Alcove
2a: Art Archive

Bulbagarden Projects
1:Bulbapedia General Forum
1A: Bulbapedia Social Forum
2:BulbaCast General Forum
3:Bulbagarden Buy-and-Sell
3a:Buy-and-sell discussion

Outside the Box
1:The Lounge
2:Blog Link
3:Clubs

Game Corner
1:Role-Playing Games
2:Fun and games
3:Evolution - Subforums, too numerous to list, maintained.
4:Fizzy Bubbles - Subforums, too numerous to list, maintained.

The Hall of Shame
Hall of Shame - Visible, but no posting allowed.

Well, I don't mind other changes, but I really can't get used to the social groups now. o_O

Oh well, might take a few days to get used to.
A weird thing I found was that, after the site changes, my post count suddenly went to 827 from 1,002, nothing wrong, but, just to point something out.

• Staff
We recalculated the postcounts. They're more accurate--there's a lot that's behind it, but the moral of the story is, nobody's count is overinflated anymore.

As for the social groups, we're working on it, vB 3.8 wasn't kind to us in that regard.

Edit: I lost a thousand posts, ouch.

But... But..... we everything was so good the day before.

I actually like the design and such but the only problem is, It's the same design as SPPF

How so?

I mean, from where I stand SPPf has about 50 visible forums to 25 here. That's sort of...not the same at all.

I think he meant that it's almost the same design, social groups and everything.

Every post counts everywhere except fun & games, which is designed to be spammy--because we don't want activity there to overinflate post counts.

Edit: Looks like Archaic and I are of one mind.

I have a question. How come when I go to my profile and I look at the social groups I'm a part of, why is it they have a bunch of big empty box-like outlines above them now? I look at other profiles and they don't have it like that.

Because I need to upload a bunch of new images, evidently. If you see any images like that, right click on them, check the properties for the image URL, then copy that to this thread. We've got a lot of custom images, so I wasn't able to simply upload the new image folders directly, and only put the new ones up manually. Obviously, I've missed some.

Wow, so basically all the social groups are going to get pictures to represent them or something? I also notice the same thing when I go to the social group directory.

Ah, okay, it's fixed now. It looks a lot better now without a bunch of lines on my profile. Thanks for the tip Archaic. The forum is looking great guys! ^_^

It's good, well thought out, but...

No HoS posting? Is there a reason behind that other than trolling?

EDIT: Just read the HoS thread. Ah well =/

We recalculated the postcounts. They're more accurate--there's a lot that's behind it, but the moral of the story is, nobody's count is overinflated anymore.
Oh, I see....

So, my post count of over 9,000 posts was one of the "overinflated" counts then? =O

I guess that makes sense, considering over half my posts were made in the Ash Club thread. And I'm assuming that's why my total has decreased. Of course, I don't really have a problem with it, I'm just surprised at the huge drop in my post count. O.O

But anyway what's the highest post count you can actually reach now? Just curious.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom