• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Were there any basic NPC trainers that gave you some trouble?

Blockhead Pippi

North America's only Pippi fan
Reaction score
Normally basic NPC trainers, people like Youngsters, Lasses and so forth who have no actual role or bearing on the plot, are fairly easy and generally give no trouble whatsoever. Though sometimes there's that one exception.

I've played RBY since forever, so I usually have no problem with its trainers. While I was playing Red from the Virtual Console, this one biker did. I encountered a biker while biking down cycling road. He sends out a Muk, so my first decision is to switch out for my Dugtrio to make fast work out of it. As I switch out for Dugtrio and prepare to use Dig, the biker's Muk uses Minimize, so my attack misses. He uses Minimize again so my attacks just miss it again.

To make matters worse, his Muk uses Sludge and manages to poison me. My attacks were repeatedly missing his Muk, even when I tried using Slash. My Dugtrio, who was ten levels higher and would have normally crushed it, ultimately fainted from the poisoning. More of an annoyance than anything.

Aside from that, another that comes to mind is the Jr. Trainer who hangs in Pewter City's gym, but that's generally because I go in while I'm still underleveled. I swear the kid would make a better gym leader than Brock any day.

I remember having trouble with the NPC in Charleston Cave who uses an Archen. I was unprepared.

Also there is this one Sky trainer right before Cyllage city in Kalos who uses Mantyke and Jumpluff with much too high a level for that part of the game.

Two particular instances come to mind. The first is Brains & Brawn Frank and Sly on Route 11 in XY. They use a Machoke and a Mr. Mime at fairly high levels, which depending on the team I am running, can be a pretty deadly combination. And then there are the two Ace Trainers, Dennis and Maya, that you can fight in a Double Battle on Route 215 in Platinum. Between them, they have a full team of six (Gligar, Drifblim, Buizel, Roselia, Ralts, and Lickitung) and come at the end of the route. They always tend to give me some trouble.

That one doctor NPC in B2W2 that had a Clefable (I don't remember his location, but I think it was on one of the mountains)

It was the longest fight I could remember. It had the ability Magic something so it received no Burn damages, spammed Minimize so much that all my attacks missed, and healed just when it was about to die. I nearly screamed.

That one doctor NPC in B2W2 that had a Clefable (I don't remember his location, but I think it was on one of the mountains)
You mean this one? At first, I had trouble with him too but thankfully, my skill link cinccno beated him thanks to his sing+work up+wake up slap combo.

Sky trainers are a good point, they can be pretty difficult in general if you only have one flying type. The first time I played X I had a Pidgeotto with me that flew me around, but I didn't train, and I kept accidentally accepting sky battles and losing.

There is one trainer I can think of in HGSS that I had trouble with, on route 1 of all places, that had an Alakazam with focus blast. I always play HGSS without evolving (it has to do with the following aspect I think) and this Alakazam was faster than my whole team last time, and I had 3 normal types and I got hit with focus blast every time.

The one in Reflection Cave with a Hawlucha is a complete nightmare unless you come prepared. I can't remember exact specifics, but I do remember them being a bit of trouble in a couple of playthroughs.

Edit: Looking them up they have a Throh as well. Probably another reason why I found the Hawlucha problematic since I had to face Throh first.

The one in Reflection Cave with a Hawlucha is a complete nightmare unless you come prepared. I can't remember exact specifics, but I do remember them being a bit of trouble in a couple of playthroughs.

Edit: Looking them up they have a Throh as well. Probably another reason why I found the Hawlucha problematic since I had to face Throh first.

I have seen too many people rage quit to that Battle Girl to even believe.

There's also another trainer in XY that I've seen many people, including myself, have trouble with. She's a Rising Star trainer with an Axew on Route 8 just after exiting Connecting Cave. Put simply it knows Dragon Rage. I remember one guy commenting that this trainer was Gamefreak asking, "Have you caught a Fairy yet?!"

Mine was in Pokémon Gold/Silver : there's a Psychic trainer before Ecruteak City who gave me some trouble at one point due to the Hypnosis + Dream Eater. But I'd say some of the Ace Trainers can be troublesome, though I can't name one of these. :/

I agree with the one about the Sky Trainer with the Mantyke/Jumpluff combo so early in XY. That trainer was way too overleveled for that part of the game. And the only Flying-type I had was a Noibat I had hatched. I still won, but it took excessive usage of potions and berries just to stay in the game long enough for my attacks to win the day.

In Glittering Cave(?) the girl with the Hawlucha destroyed me. Killed five of my guys. It had four moves of differing types, so when I saw Kaarina's, I shit myself and was scared. Then hers only had Fighting moves so my new Honedge laughed at it...

I have nightmares about that cave trainers Hawlucha though.

There's this one Ace Duo in HGSS on the way to the Safari Zone with a Magmar and an Electibuzz. I severely underestimated them and they wiped my whole team in a Nuzlocke...
I was just about to post about them. Same here, they decimated my entire team. They were hard.

I'm surprised nobody's mentioned the guy near Parfum Palace with a Volbeat. It spams confuse ray and double team to keep you from damaging it, and when you DO damage it, the bastard replenishes its HP with moonlight, and then it finishes you off with tackle after confusing you to death and dodging almost all your attacks.

There was a Trainer in Reflection Cave, Battle Girl Hedvig or something, and she had Throh and a Hawlucha. The Throh was really bulky and hard to take down, but nothing impossible. But her Hawlucha... Even after defeating Korrina that thing is still a big threat, and just proceeded to wreck havoc on my team.

And I just noticed a bunch of other people replied about her XD Oh well, you get the point of how hard she was :p

Last edited:
NPCs usually don't give me trouble. I do remember that guy on the snow route with an Ambipom in DP, and a couple of double battlers on the water route (one had a Luxio) that were hard to deal with, but that was when I was terrible at the game.

I always struggle so bad with ace trainers! They drive me crazy. Especially in OmegaRuby and XY. That one female ace trainer from XY and that Hawlucha... I had to reset the game a few times because I had no Pokemon to probably combat it. It was too fast and at the time my team was full of slowpokes, for some reason....

Nope, I don't think I've ever struggled with any NPC trainers. Every single time I had problems with a trainer, it's usually a Gym Leader or greater.

I had trouble with Cooltrainer Jennifer in Sapphire. She has a Milotic, and it's surprisingly strong. It kept spamming Recover and Water Pulse. I barely managed to beat her - I literally had one Pokemon left when I was through with her.

Ace Trainers Dennis and Maya in Pearl were really tough too. I was rushing to Veilstone and landed in front of both of them. I had to battle them at the same time. I lost to them once. When I retried, I battled them separately.

In HeartGold I had trouble with those two Beauties you encounter on your way to Ecruteak City. They use Clefable and Wigglytuff, both of which had a lot of HP - and both of them were a pain to beat. I actually lost to them once and when I was rushing to Ecruteak City.

Please note: The thread is from 6 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom