• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

What animal is Umbreon supposed to be?

Umbreonlover

Reaction score
Everybody knows that pikachu is a mouse, buneary is a bunny, beautifly is a butterfly, but I can't stop wondering exactly what my favorite Pokémon Umbreon could be. One of my friends thinks its a dog, another thought it was a cat, and another thought it was a rabbit! I just don't know what to think. Does anybody have any ideas as to what real life animal Umbreon is supposed to be?

I think its a fox of some kind maybe a fennic or a bat eared fox. All the eevee's look like foxes to me well mybe not vaporeon but the rest do

Let's see the facts...
1. They activate at moon.
2. They are very dog-like/cat-like/wolf-like...
Werewolf, of course!:lick::p

I see Umbreon more as a cat-like pokemon... in fact, it's the eeveelution that looks less like a rabbit in my opinion, along with Espeon who also looks like a cat pokemon to me.

A panther? Highly unlikely. And Swampert Tamer, NONE of the Eeveevolution are rabbit-based - not even Eevee

It's not clear that it is actually based on anything really, it might just look similar to certain animals by "accident". To me it looks like a mix between dog/wolf/fox, the ears look bunny-like :)

THe eeveelutions are alwats a mix of fox (or something int he dog family), rabbit, cat, and an animal that represents their element.

I'd say a cat-fox.

the entire Eevee family doesn't resemble any single kind of mammal in my opinion. They're just a generic mammal. It could be a dog, cat or even a rabbit.

Not wanting to go off-topic, but since we are talking about eeveelutions, do you think Vaporeon is composed of fur or scales?

Yanno, I personally think either fur, or like that of dolphins or orcas, but not scales...

Anyway, Umbreon always reminded me of a rabbit except for the build and tail. I could be biased because it also always reminded me of "The Black Rabbit of Inle" from Watership Down, which- needless to say- is black, and has red eyes, and Umbreon has rather rabbit like ears and head to me.

Those ARE mammals. Okay, I question Vaporeon, but that's it.

PDL didn't say the Eeveelutions didn't resemble mammals, but that they didn't "resemble any single kind of mammal."

A panther? Highly unlikely. And Swampert Tamer, NONE of the Eeveevolution are rabbit-based - not even Eevee

Other than the rabbit ears most of them seem to have, and the rabit-like face that some, such as Umbreaon seem to have?

is there a thread here with some kind of master list of what pokemon are based on?

Please note: The thread is from 6 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom