• ME has two Legendary encounters this week. Watch them here and here.
  • All content from the former Roleplaying Games forum has been merged into the Writers' Workshop forum. You can find more information in this thread.

We hope to see you roleplaying away soon!
  • The World Beyond Restructure is now finished! Check out the update here!
  • It's time for the Writer's Workshop Summer event: our second themed one-shot competition! Check out the sign-up thread here!
  • Hey everyone! Bulbagarden is hosting its first Bulbaleague Conference Pokemon Showdown Tournament! Check out this thread to get the full details!
  • Hey everyone! The Writer's Workshop is hosting an exciting event, Trainers of Fanfiction! It's a community event focused around your characters!

What annoys you most when trying to catch Pokemon?

Secret Sword of Justice
Reaction score
So, we all have times where trying to catch a Pokemon becomes annoying. There's the obvious roaming legendary, which can often be a pain to catch, for example. And Rayquaza. Oh god, Rayquaza. Either it KOs itself from confusion out of using Outrage, or it uses Rest... I should've saved my Master Ball for it in HG. Instead, I used it on Mewtwo, thinking it would've been the most difficult to capture.

But what else annoys you so much? For me, it's when the Pokemon uses a move like Explosion or something. I'm trying to catch a Lunatone and Solrock in Black, and while I managed to catch the latter just a bit ago, the former still keeps using god dang Explosion! Ugh.

Thankfully, I've never met a shiny Pokemon with such a move...

Abra using Teleport is kind of annoying too, though I did once manage to catch a weak one in HG using a Quick Ball. I ended up releasing it though, because its nature was awful.

Bringing Shinx to Hoenn!
Reaction score
It's a Critcal Hit!

Foe [Insert Shiny Pokemon Here] Fainted!

AcidArmor Knight
Reaction score
I hate the moves explosion/selfdistruct too, I was particularly afraid of it when I met a shiny geodude and thinking everytime a pokeball fail that it was the end and that I will loose it I was lucky it did not use it.

追放されたバカ
Reaction score
Selfdestruct/Explosion, Catch Rate 3, Teleport, unpredictability of critical hits, and keeping all your Pokemon alive when trying to catch them.

Reaction score
- Critical Hit.
- Self Destruct / Teleport.
- Throwing a lot of PokeBalls (not Master Ball) and no success in catching them. Especially that moment when Its almost captured then It breaks free.
- When they eliminate my entire team.

Reaction score
The worst is not planning ahead and having Poison as your only possible status infliction on the foe...and then foolishly using it and losing the Pokemon. That and trying to get the foe's HP from low-yellow to red and then getting a Critical hit that kills them.

Reaction score
I saw shiny pokemon on safari zone. I was annoyed that it might flee, but finally I got it!

From Leyend to Myth
Reaction score
Lugia under those Safeguards

You need to carefully put it to sleep when it's not under one. A failed chance means five less turns until it Struggles itself to death.

Capturing that thing was a PAIN

Comfort ghost
Reaction score
Legendary Pokemon (especially the roamers) not staying in ball, even though it has just 1 hit point left and a status condition. 100 Ultra Balls later, it begins to use Struggle...

Bringing Shinx to Hoenn!
Reaction score
Trainer used Ultra Ball!

*One Shake*

Trainer used Pokeball!

*Captures the Pokemon*

total eclipse of the heart
Reaction score
The unexpected crits are always what gets me. :< But what's worse is finding a cool Pokemon, battling it, and getting it weak enough to catch....then you go to your bag and find out you don't HAVE any Pokeballs. I had to say goodbye to a shiny Seviper in my Emerald. OTL

Reaction score
I RNG my mons. I had heard so much about Rayquaza that I came prepared for it with a Smeargle that knew Spore, False Swipe, and Skill Swap, and had the ability Own Tempo. Catching Rayquaza in HG and SS wasn't a problem.

But way back in the day, on Blue, and even on FR and LG, Articuno was such an annoyance. I didn't know anything about how to capture mons back then. I just knew to knock its HP down and try to status effect it. I think I used thunderwave.

It took me literally days to catch it in Blue. I'd run out of balls, or it'd struggle to death, and sometimes it would even kill me. I was severely unprepared.

Reaction score
"Aww, it appeared to be caught!"

Even worse when it's a Legendary, and it was your last ball.

七パーセント
Reaction score
When you get them down to their last HP, put them to sleep, through the Pokeball, and they escape it the first turn :boom:.

Place Title Here
Reaction score
The most annoying for me would have to be getting a critical hit, at least you can see Teleport or Explosion coming, crits kind of just show up when you least expect them. Legendary catching for me isn't so awful because I adore the challenge, what I don't enjoy is using 99 Ultra Balls on Rayquaza and then catching it with my only Premier Ball.

Reaction score
For me, the most annoying part is when special balls don't seem to to do a damn thing. As I'm sure everyone has experienced at least once; unloading every Ultra and Great Ball you have at a sleeping, critical HP legendary, and they break out on the first shake. How is that even possible?!

Previously known as 'Isamu Akai'
Reaction score
When a non-roaming Pokemon flees, and yes that actually <i>does</i> happen in GSC.

Encountered a Teddiursa in the Dark Cave on my very first try in my Nuzlocke run, only to have it flee on the first turn. <_<