• Bubapedia Error 503 Backend fetch failed

Our technical staff are continuing to monitor the wiki to try and resolve these ongoing issues that are impacting page and image loading. We apologize for the inconvenience. We'll update as soon as we've got more information on this for you.

• Check out our new Mysterious Garden forum style if you haven't already - we're sure you'll love it!
  • All members are allowed to express their opinions, no matter how unpopular, so long as they respect others and do not claim their opinion is the only valid opinion. While we understand that there is debate regarding Goh, someone posting an opinion you disagree with does not give you the right to attack them or report the content for trolling/baiting. This notice will serve as a 0-point warning and as such, Anime & Manga staff reserve the right to jump immediately to point warnings. For more information regarding our stance on arguments and debates, see this PSA.
  • If you are finding yourself unable to log in, you should be able to fix the issue by following the following process.
    1. Close all browser tabs with any part of Bulbagarden open.
    2. Delete all Bulbagarden.net cookies (and if possible, any cached site data for Bulbagarden) from your browser.
    3. Close and reopen your browser, open a new tab, and log into the forums on the new tab.
    If you've followed this process and are still having issues, please contact us via the "Contact us" link at the bottom of the forum.

What are Pokemon that you DON'T want Ash to catch (or wish that he hadn't caught) ?

Nicolas721

Reaction score
From the past:
  • Kingler: I like the idea of Ash catching unpopular Pokemon, but one that disappears until pulling a DEM at the league? Not much. Muk could be in a similar boat, but, eh, at least it gives us inter series continuity consistently.
  • Gible: I understand they wanted to shake up the teams in the final year, but was a Piplup bully their best idea? Grotle, Torterra and Gliscor still had ways to go, like many of the Johto reserves (who could have even promote the games, like our boy Larvitar) and they could have done better.
  • Unfezant/Boldore/at least one Unova starter: Yeah, the Unova team as a mess, if you gonna give Ash reserves at least do it with creative types and personalities. I let Palpitoad live because I like it, and because I feel he's memorable in the way that he feels like the Unova team member that sparks the most conversations about how "forgettable" it is lol.
  • Goodra: Like the idea, dislike the execution. The fact that Ash still had an space for it at the end of the series shows how unnecessary as to execute its story that way.
  • Poipole: It should have been everyone's Pokemon like Cosmog, I don't think that would have undermined its relationship with Pikachu. That way Ash would have room for something less special that could have appeared more.
  • Gengar: Nothing personal, but it should have been THE Haunter who came back evolved.
  • Lucario: If they are going to pander to the fans, at least pander too to the people who want to know what the f*** happened when Ash used aura powers between 2005 and 2008. Instead we have...this.
From the future:
  • Alazakam/Machamp/Tyranitar: I don't want a repeat of Dragonite or Gengar anytime soon, leave Kanto in peace (yes I know Tyranitar is not Kantonian but is almost as old as them). I wouldn't mind Arcanine or Mewtwo though, as the former hasn't had big roles since DP, and Mewtwo could be an interesting story.
  • Eevee or eeveelutions: Nope. Just nope. I don't want to see people arguing endlessly about what form it will evolve, how it losing means the species is being poorly showcased, how the producers are favoring one eeveelution over the others, etc.

PkmnTrainerV

Flame Trainer
Reaction score
Dragonite and Gengar. I still maintain they should’ve been caught and stayed a Dragonair and Haunter for a long time before evolving.

Lucario. I never really saw the hype and I don’t personally love the species.

GrimmEvil

I make a lot of typos
Reaction score
For the most part alot of the Unova catches were just strange.

Unova

If they really wanted to make a larger team there were better choices that could have created a diverse team with room for giving the new pokemon unique personalities and fighting styles. Also note I don't necessarily mean just different types also types that Ash as a whole lacks in number.

Oshawott: the fact he was annoying as hell is one factor, Ash actually caught a better water type that they just wasted. Can't think of a particular mon to replace him with but really anyone would have been better than him.

Unfezant: out of all of Ash's bird catches she was useless, had no character and honestly I can't even remember what battles she participated in and their outcomes because she left no impression. Add in her being the standard Flying/Normal didn't help her much. My personal alternative would be Mandibuzz but Archeops would have also worked. They could have also just nixed the flying type altogether.

Pignite: After Infernape this was a huge fail another Fire/Fighting would instantly be compared to Infernape and matching that would be impossible. Also repeating the abandoned pokemon plot would also compare him to Charizard just compounding the problem. Volcarona or Chandelure would have been decent alternatives even though Volcarona overlaps its type with Leavanny at least it would add more bug types to Ash's overall roster.

Maybe Scraggy: this one I am not sure about though Scraggy had his problems most I could say was how he was handled if he had evolved maybe learnt some new moves he would be perfect. However at the same time considering they were trying to heavily emphasize that he was newly hatched and therefore inexperienced and would not be instantly capable of participating in normal battles.

Dracovish: he just feels pointless one tiny part in an episode and then gone until he randomly appeared again at least the rest of Ash's team is abused on screen he was just abandoned. He also just doesn't feel like he fits with Ash and his battle style.

London-Moniton

Certified Goh's Grookey hater
Reaction score
Past: Dracovish and (I'm sorry) Kamon. Both have had very underutilized developments so far and I think that they shouldn't have been put on Ash's team, if they are going to turn out like this.

Sai

Reaction score
In AG I would have swapped out Torkoal for something more interesting. I mean it's quite literally Ash's most forgettable fire type pokemon since it's not a starter and can't evolve. It was also only in 1 Gym battle and only lasted on Ash's team for about 50 episodes with barely any appearances.

Ghost Diplocaulus

Detroit SMAAAASH! Eevee style.
Reaction score
Pronouns
she/her
Other past Pokemon I feel shouldn't have been caught:
  • Kingler, Muk, and Primeape. Mainly because hardly anything was ever done with them, especially Primeape. Muk does have its smothering running gag, but I feel that keeping a Pokemon around solely for that reason is still largely a waste.
  • 29 of Ash's Tauros. I get that this is an absolutely cliche answer, but still, a whole herd of these things was unnecessary. Just have Ash catch one.
  • Gible. I don't dislike him by any means, but I do feel like he was kinda pointless. All that screentime devoted to teaching him Draco Meteor could have instead been used to develop Gliscor and Torterra better.
  • Noivern. Again, I don't dislike him, but he was completely redundant typewise with three whole Kalos team members and his only notable feat is putting up a fight against Zapdos. If the only win the writers were willing to give him was against Sawyer's Doublade in an unofficial match, they might as well have never had Ash catch this thing at all.
  • Mimey. For all the reasons everyone has already said.

Frequent suggestions (or at least suggestions I've seen other people make) for Ash to capture:
  • Any member of the Impidimp line. Mainly just because I actually would rather have Chloe get one of these instead, believe it or not. Watching her playing with the Impidimp trio in the Ponyta episode is the main reason why.
  • Golisopod. Golisopod's whole theme is that it looks tough and imposing but is actually a huge coward and disguises said cowardice with the pretense that it's making a tactical retreat, and that's kind of the opposite of Ash's whole personality and fighting style. I do get the appeal of Ash working with something so anathema to his usual personality, but I just don't see it working: if the writers are already adamant that bulky tanks not named Snorlax do poorly under Ash, a giant two-faced coward would likely fare even worse.

Hidden Mew

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I actually really like Ash's Torkoal. Its capture episode worked a lot more for me when I rewatched AG awhile ago to the point where I wish it got more to do. That being said, I wouldn't be against giving Ash something different in its place, but I was generally okay with it.

I definitely don't think he should have caught Noivern though. Having yet another Flying type and another Dragon type shortly after Goodra was released probably wouldn't be that much of an issue, but Noibat just did virtually nothing between learning how to fly and evolving. That's the real problem in my opinion. It didn't get to win any major battles or used in any of the remaining Gym battles. The fact that Ash had an empty slot to make room for Goodra's return on top of Noivern doing pretty much nothing also made it more frustrating.

I also wasn't a fan of Melmetal. Considering how long Ash had two empty slots for his SM, I think that they just waited too long to give it to him. The friendship between Rowlet and Meltan was cute, but it felt like Ash had a pretty minimal connection with Meltan, which felt off for SM in particular given how often Pokemon were out of their Pokeballs. If it was introduced sooner, given time to have some more battles before the Alola League and Ash had more bonding moments with it, maybe it would have been fine. As it is, Melmetal just felt a bit too tacked on for my tastes.

cricketlaxwolvesbandy

8/18: Never forget what they took away from us
Reaction score
I actually really like Ash's Torkoal. Its capture episode worked a lot more for me when I rewatched AG awhile ago to the point where I wish it got more to do. That being said, I wouldn't be against giving Ash something different in its place, but I was generally okay with it.

I definitely don't think he should have caught Noivern though. Having yet another Flying type and another Dragon type shortly after Goodra was released probably wouldn't be that much of an issue, but Noibat just did virtually nothing between learning how to fly and evolving. That's the real problem in my opinion. It didn't get to win any major battles or used in any of the remaining Gym battles. The fact that Ash had an empty slot to make room for Goodra's return on top of Noivern doing pretty much nothing also made it more frustrating.

I also wasn't a fan of Melmetal. Considering how long Ash had two empty slots for his SM, I think that they just waited too long to give it to him. The friendship between Rowlet and Meltan was cute, but it felt like Ash had a pretty minimal connection with Meltan, which felt off for SM in particular given how often Pokemon were out of their Pokeballs. If it was introduced sooner, given time to have some more battles before the Alola League and Ash had more bonding moments with it, maybe it would have been fine. As it is, Melmetal just felt a bit too tacked on for my tastes.
I LOVE TORKOAL!!!!!

nickdt

Reaction score
Well...

Kanto
Charmander - Brock deserved it more, as he was actually the instigator for the team to rescue it. The disobedience arc could have gone to Bulbasaur instead, which would also have made sense with its backstory.
Krabby - Wasn't necessary with Squirtle already being a thing. Would have been a better fit for Misty.
Magmar - Could have been his fire type replacement. Isn't a starter either, so wouldn't have overshadowed Squirtle and Bulbasaur the way Charizard did.
Scyther - Captured by Ash instead of Tracey.

Johto
Totodile - Would have fit Misty better.
Typhlosion - Remains on the team, but fully evolves to basically serve as the replacement for Charizard
Scizor - Scyther evolved. Forms a rivalry with Brocks Steelix later on.

Hoenn
In terms of Pokemon he got, his team is fine. However, i would have made one extra addition with Lairon.

Sinnoh
Gligar - Wasn't really needed with Torterra and Staraptor a thing.
Gible - Same argument for Torterra
Magmortar - Happens at the league, so it doesn't interfere with Infernape during Sinnoh.

Unova
Snivy - Goes to Cilan instead
Scraggy - While i like it, doesn't really serve a purpose on the team with Krookodile and Pignite (Who gets a disobedience arc)
Palpitoad - Why did Ash get this thing in the first place?

Kalos
Noivern - Why was this a thing? Only there to replace the sent in training Goodra, who joined back later on anyways, making Noiverns purpose on the team even smaller.
Avalugg - Joins late. Ash bonds with a Bergmite owned by Wulfric and is allowed to take it with him. Evolves during the league.

Alola
Poipole - Doesn't really serve a purpose
Mudsdale - Would have given Ash a tank early on, who can also dish out damage. Makes a great rivalry with Ash's Lycanroc

Galar (Think his team is done)
Lucario - Is a shillmon, so would take away screentime from a starter
Gengar - Doesn't get enough screentime as is, so isn't that necessary
Inteleon - His starter this series. Has a great arc and friendship with Sirfetch'd (They are basically involved with eachothers evolutions)
Aggron - His Lairon evolved during Hyper Class battles. Ash bascially has only 5 main members this season (Pikachu, Inteleon, Dragonite, Dracovish and Sirfetch'd, with his sixth slot being used to rotate his older mons in and out). And yes, while i made a case for other type duplicates, i decided to keep Dracovish on the team, since its battle style is so different from Dragonite and Inteleon, that it warrants a stay (Unlike Noivern (Due to Talonflame), Palpitoad (Due to Krookodile) and Krabby (Due to Squirtle).

Camille

Call of Fate
Reaction score
Dracovish, because the concept is just bad.
Palpitoad, because it is ugly and not all that strong, and I was hoping to see Oshawott fully evolve.

FelipePR

Reaction score
From the past:
  • Gible: I understand they wanted to shake up the teams in the final year, but was a Piplup bully their best idea? Grotle, Torterra and Gliscor still had ways to go, like many of the Johto reserves (who could have even promote the games, like our boy Larvitar) and they could have done better.

- Well, Gible is not a bully and never bullied Piplup, although the prickly penguin possibly deserves it. The fact that Gible's Dragon Meteor almost always hits Piplup was a fateful incident that the Pokémon couldn't avoid, as transcribed from Ash's Gible article in Bulbapedia:
Dawn's Piplup dislikes him due to constantly being hit by his failed Draco Meteors, but Gible has no harsh feelings towards Piplup, even refusing to fight Piplup after accidentally hitting him several times with a failed Draco Meteor. After being severely scolded by Dawn's Togekiss, he reveals that he doesn't intend to hurt him, but he simply cannot avoid it, showing that he does care about Piplup.

- As for Larvitar, it was not a Pokémon of Ash who was in the reserve, Ash was never officially its trainer, on the contrary he returned the baby Pokémon to the wild and to its mother. And capturing and training a Larvitar or Gible would be equivalent.

- I agree, however, that capturing Gible was unnecessary, considering Ash team and the anime moment. Despite this, it is certain that many people were excited that Ash had caught his first dragon and semi-legendary Pokémon.

Gengarzilla

"What do you mean, my Gengarite is contraband?!"
Reaction score
Pronouns
He/Him
Lucario and the one who shall not be named are the immediate first picks for Pokémon who I wish Ash never got. Just, ugh, what were they thinking with such obnoxious shillmons? Charizard as a species may get plenty of backlash for its overexposure through the last three generations but at least Ash's Charizard was respectful enough to leave the main cast (again) and not be an active part of that whole trend.

Seriously, I don't want to imagine what they'd have done with this Charizard if he hung around for XY.

Epic Spheal

Reaction score
Dragonite and Dracovish: Ash already has 3 dragons (4 if you want to count Naganadel as still his), 2 of which are pseudo legends. A lot of this stems from me wanting to see Ash use more of his older mons to give them development or battle redemption. I feel like he could've developed Gible more and maybe have it evolve or given Goodra and Noivern some more wins

Palpitoad and Boldore: It's mainly because Ash's Unova team was already bloated, and as we've seen from OS it's hard to really manage more than six at once

Mimey: someone up-thread said my criticisms of the retcon way better than I can articulate them

Blob

Reaction score
In AG I would have swapped out Torkoal for something more interesting. I mean it's quite literally Ash's most forgettable fire type pokemon since it's not a starter and can't evolve. It was also only in 1 Gym battle and only lasted on Ash's team for about 50 episodes with barely any appearances.
If he needed a Fire type it should have been a Numel since at least it can evolve.

Top Bottom