• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

What are some things you don't like about Pokémon Scarlet and Violet?

shadowcelebi

Reaction score
besides the glitches, performance issues and the low quality graphics (which are obvious), what are some things you don't like about the gen 9 games?

if you ask me, i would say that the "open world" aspect is poorly executed. unlike most open world games that encourage you to explore and discover locations and even get rewarded for doing so, here...it feels mostly empty...besides the pokemons and items scattered around, there is barely any locations to explore. and even if you do find a place like some ruins or a cave or even a town/village, there is either just more pokemon, some common items that you've already been gathering, doing the main story, or just nothing to do there. and what makes open world games fun is the exploration and discovering and then getting rewarded after managing to explore a location you just discovered. but here, its almost non existent. yes there are towns and team star bases but those are the locations you have to go to to progress the story. so yeah...the side locations that you'd normally find in open world games are almost nonexistent here which makes exploring the "open world" so boring since there isn't much to even do while you travel to where you need to go to.

The lack of clothing options in particular is a huge bummer. I get they trying to go for the private school asthetic, but it's hard to have a good unique gettup with only 4 outfits of orange/purple, even with all the more fluid accessories.

the lack of (minor spoilers an Elite Four rematch was also weird given that's a series staple. It sucks even more cuz this gen has one of the better groups in that regard and you'll never get to see some of those characters again otherwise

Last edited:
  • can raids please stop being glitchy at times? it's quite common to get stuck in the cheer screen for a while, and it's even occurred where like, nothing would happen at ALL for a solid 5-10 seconds while the game tries to process all the actions and in what order they should executed in alongside the raid boss'
  • we have one of the most personable elite four members and yet
    we're not allowed rematches with them. yes, i'm a champion. i can still have friendly matches with the elite four members, i don't think it's that big of a deal.
  • the limited pokedex. and i don't mean this in a "bring back national dex!!" way. idk what it is, but the dex feels... smaller? somehow? than what we've got in sw/sh. or maybe i'm not a fan of the variety. kinda feels like there should've been slightly less non-native paldean pokemon to allow to more creative team-building rather than going back and using (insert past-generation pokemon here).
  • no shiny overworld sound. dunno whether or not this is ever going to get fixed (probably not), but it's a shame. on the other hand, it forces the player to be more alert and consciously looking for shinies in outbreaks. on the other... it would really make shiny hunting more convenient.
  • the raid events are SUPER short for some reason. the cinderace event going on now is only lasting 2-3 days? i understand pokemon is a kids game as that's the primary demographic but what about people who have like... busy schedules? i'm a bit salty i have to miss it because i work the three days the cinderace raid was going on and didn't really have the proper time to properly build a good 'mon for it.

MY TOP 3:
3. TMs remaining single use.
2. Having no Champion Cup.
1. Pikachu still retaining the electronic cry. Sure people have complained about that Ikue Otani’s “Pika-pika” was the cry but Junichi Masuda said that’s how people see it in the games.
Junichi Masuda said:
The cartoon has always been on the air for 16 years and is shown in 83 countries, but everywhere you go it’s always Ikue Ohtani’s voice for Pikachu. You can go all over the world and ask what Pikachu sounds like and it’ll always be the 'Pi-kaaa!' from the Anime. I figured that if that’s how people see it, then that’s how they probably like the game to be, too.
If it stays the way of back to the updated electronic sounds then in my opinion, it should be changed in both Pokémon GO and Pokémon Masters EX or GameFreak has to have Pokémon say their names in video games.

Low quality graphics? What? Are we playing the same games here? These graphics look fine. Maybe not drop dead gorgeous, but they're definitely not low quality.

Anyway, my gripes are mostly nitpicky stuff.

• No overworld shiny sound effect? You could do it just fine in Legends Arceus, but not these games, GF? And on top of that, several new shiny Pokemon are awful and barely look different. How are we supposed to figure out we found a shiny version of any of these Pokemon unless we happen to be using the Let's Go feature? Very inconvenient.
  • No level scaling. Just, why.
  • No real clothing options because of the school uniforms. Imo, school uniforms are always a bad idea, whether in a game or real life.

1. The fact that barely any buildings can actually be entered. And even the buildings that you can enter are particularly underwhelming.
2. The option to set battles to "Set" has been removed entirely.
3. You can't rematch the Elite 4 and Champion. This has been a staple of the series since Day 1. Although this will probably be fixed in a possible DLC.
4. There's no animations for status conditions anymore. This is especially disappointing considering that even Sword and Shield had this.
5. The lack of customizable outfits aside from the uniforms. Though at least you can change how you look at the beginning of the game and you can even have freckles on your trainer now.
6. You can't evolve your Stantler, Scyther, and Ursaring into their new Hisuian evolutions. Although this will probably be fixed in a possible DLC.

1. Limited customization. I don't mind the school uniforms, but I wish there were more than just 4 options and that we could mix and match the tops and bottoms.
2. Lack of version exclusive bosses. This is a big one for me. After SwSh finally gave us major version exclusive gym leaders (something I feel should be in every game at this point), I was hoping the same would carry here, but nope. Only 1 measly version exclusive boss in Great Tusk/Iron Treads. They could have easily given us some more variety in titans, Team Star bosses, and Gym Leaders and I'm lost as to why they didn't.

- the map the map the map. After playing Breath of the Wild, SV's map is so much worse in terms of features. For one you could place multiple markers, which as a player who likes to go over every part, item and trainer in each area, one marker just doesn't cut it. Plus the annoying glitch that crashes the map every two times you open it when in the water is really annoying. It also would have been nice to have area outlines to be able to tell where each begins and ends.

- The trading feature that makes your starter disobey you is horrible. Should never have been a thing, and completely ruins the playthrough.

- World tbh is just too big. This game feels like you're playing 5 games in one. Halfway done with the game and already i feel like it's too much for a game i'd rather finish in a month or two at most. I miss Pokemon Games where you could actually replay them. Games like this I never want to replay.

- Pokemon battles triggering when you're 5 feet away from a pokemon is really annoying.

- This feels more like a dex-fill game than plot based imo. You do far more catching in this game than progressing any story at all.

- Shinies not at least flashing or making sounds when appeaing. At least should have had the former.

- Climbing is very clunking, half the time you slide right off.

- As awesome as the fully evolved water starter is, she moves way too much lmao. it's like GF wants to give us motion sickness.

- Neither Charizard nor Cinderace events level scaling, leaving out players who hadn't beaten the game. Completely unfair.

- Speaking of clunky raids in general are very clunky, move very slow, and can't keep up with our moves.

Last edited:
Raid system needs more work TBH. Feels way too gatekeepy when you consider that children play this game first and foremost. Likewise I feel like there should be more endgame content so that the raids aren't forced into that role

Low quality graphics? What? Are we playing the same games here? These graphics look fine. Maybe not drop dead gorgeous, but they're definitely not low quality.
well, i heard a lot of people talking about how bad the graphics and textures were. i mean, have you seen just how bad the waterfall looks? and we live in the year 2022. yes you could argue the switch isn't that strong but...explain xenoblade chronicles 3. that game looks far better and it somehow runs much better than scarlet and violet.

Last edited:
well, i heard a lot of people talking about how bad the graphics and textures were. i mean, have you seen just how bad the waterfall looks? and we live in the year 2022. yes you could argue the switch isn't that strong but...explain xenoblade chronicles 3. that game looks far better and it somehow runs much better than scarlet and violet.
The waterfalls look fine to me. The textures are also much better than in Sword/Shield too. So I have no idea what people are talking about here when they say the graphics are bad.

The waterfalls look fine to me. The textures are also much better than in Sword/Shield too. So I have no idea what people are talking about here when they say the graphics are bad.
well thats just what i been hearing a lot of people talking about when it comes to the game's flaws. maybe they just expected better since again, we live in the year 2022. well, actually make that 2023 since new years just happened by the time i'm posting this

yes you could argue the switch isn't that strong but...explain xenoblade chronicles 3. that game looks far better and it somehow runs much better than scarlet and violet.
I think some people would have been fine with the mid graphics (much better looking games on the Switch) if the game wasn't released with such bad perfomance and a plethora of graphical glitches and crashing. On top of mid graphics you get very questionable perfomance, so it's not a case where one was sacrificed to improve the other.

well thats just what i been hearing a lot of people talking about when it comes to the game's flaws. maybe they just expected better since again, we live in the year 2022. well, actually make that 2023 since new years just happened by the time i'm posting this
Well these people are probably comparing them to games with hyper realistic graphics and such too much. And while I would like to see something that looks more like New Pokemon Snap in terms of graphical quality, that doesn't mean Scarlet/Violet look awful.

The performance issues are a legit criticism though. No excuse for this. It's like they never bothered to test or try optimizing the games. GF has had a history of optimization issues (they couldn't fit Kanto in Gold and Silver without Satoru Iwata's help for example), you'd think they would look for more people who can do this well and have them do it before release.

The performance issues are a legit criticism though. No excuse for this. It's like they never bothered to test or try optimizing the games. GF has had a history of optimization issues (they couldn't fit Kanto in Gold and Silver without Satoru Iwata's help for example), you'd think they would look for more people who can do this well and have them do it before release.
and whats more is that those games are more than 2 decades old and they managed to pull that off, in a gameboy color game. which is honestly really impressive for it's time. too bad we never see something like that again...back then, game freak actually tired with their games but overtime, they got more and more lazy and then there are times where they suddenly started actually putting effort into their games, before then suddenly throwing that out the window. an example of this is, legitimately adding voice acting in black and white 2 (like characters actually talking, which is seen in action in the poison gym during the band, and that was on a DS), yet they didn't bother with that in sword and shield with the team yell leader singing. and lets not forget that they likely learned nothing from legends arceus. why? because game freak knows people are gullible enough to buy the games regardless of issues, so they didn't put much effort into the gen 9 games, which explains the poor performance. and people started comparing other games with better graphics that run much better because of this.

I just don't understand how they did not make level scaling in an open world game. I assumed scaling was determined based on your progress, so I had to grind my Pokémon in the wild at some point to defeat one of the Team Star leaders since they surpassed me in terms of levels. But then again, the last two gym leaders that I left to defeat was Brassius and Iono. It was a waste of time and totally joke to defeat them. There was nothing implying the scaling was not a thing, so I would not know either. That was genuinely my only complaint throughout my first gameplay.

and whats more is that those games are more than 2 decades old and they managed to pull that off, in a gameboy color game. which is honestly really impressive for it's time. too bad we never see something like that again...back then, game freak actually tired with their games but overtime, they got more and more lazy and then there are times where they suddenly started actually putting effort into their games, before then suddenly throwing that out the window. an example of this is, legitimately adding voice acting in black and white 2 (like characters actually talking, which is seen in action in the poison gym during the band, and that was on a DS), yet they didn't bother with that in sword and shield with the team yell leader singing. and lets not forget that they likely learned nothing from legends arceus. why? because game freak knows people are gullible enough to buy the games regardless of issues, so they didn't put much effort into the gen 9 games, which explains the poor performance. and people started comparing other games with better graphics that run much better because of this.
They didn't pull it off, Satoru Iwata did it for them. Basically, anyway. But back then, they didn't have the constraints they do now either. New games are releasing almost yearly. They need to slow it down. But the Pokemon Company probably won't let them. :/

Please note: The thread is from 1 year ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom