• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

What are some things you don't like about Pokémon Scarlet and Violet?

Shops, I get the annoyance, but do we really need to be able to go into every house?
You can certainly argue there isn't a "need" to go into any building that doesn't strictly advance the plot or provide some kind of service to the Player from a gameplay point of view.

But I sense the place where charlycicero is coming from is that it was part of the charm back in the 2D era to explore and go into all the buildings when you reached a new town, to hear what wacky things the NPCs would say and potentially build upon the world. Without all that, the open world 3D areas Game Freak creates nowadays might be pretty to look at but feel hollow and ironically make the world feel so much smaller as a result. Spikemuth is infamous for being a glorified hallway for a reason after all.

You can certainly argue there isn't a "need" to go into any building that doesn't strictly advance the plot or provide some kind of service to the Player from a gameplay point of view.

But I sense the place where charlycicero is coming from is that it was part of the charm back in the 2D era to explore and go into all the buildings when you reached a new town, to hear what wacky things the NPCs would say and potentially build upon the world. Without all that, the open world 3D areas Game Freak creates nowadays might be pretty to look at but feel hollow and ironically make the world feel so much smaller as a result. Spikemuth is infamous for being a glorified hallway for a reason after all.
But, were there not buildings back in Gen 1 that we could not enter?

But, were there not buildings back in Gen 1 that we could not enter?
Sure, but the games have drastically improved in terms of hardware and software since then.

For the record, I don't think anyone is actually saying you have to literally be able to go into every building. But better world design in my JRPGS would be appreciated is all.

The generic-as-all hell Gym Badge names. Seriously, they couldn't think of anything more creative than the corresponding type for each badge again? They already did that in Sw/Sh! :mad: Whatever happened to actually interesting badge names like, "Legend Badge," or "Volcano Badge"?

The generic-as-all hell Gym Badge names. Seriously, they couldn't think of anything more creative than the corresponding type for each badge again? They already did that in Sw/Sh! :mad: Whatever happened to actually interesting badge names like, "Legend Badge," or "Volcano Badge"?
Perhaps they ran out of ideas for names? That is a possibility. There is only so names you can do for the badges.

That is intolerable for a huge company such as Game Freak. What happened, their brains are already mushy for thinking just about money, money, money? In past games you could explore buildings. Heck, in X/Y there was SO much to explore in Lumiose City, and that's in the 3DS!

Shops, I get the annoyance, but do we really need to be able to go into every house?
Need? Of course not, but why not have the possibility anyway, at least for some major buildings and landmarks? In the past Pokémon games you could, and in many RPGs and open world games the player can usually explore cities thoroughly if they desired. The option is there, it doesn't have to be part of the main quests.

My point is, the absolute lack of exploration in the cities reflects the laziness and lack of attention to detail, and for a major company what is the excuse? Lack of resources?

Now, don't get me wrong. I do love the game and it is among my favorite Pokémon games. But it does have glaring issues nevertheless. Empty cities is one for me.

Need? Of course not, but why not have the possibility anyway, at least for some major buildings and landmarks? In the past Pokémon games you could, and in many RPGs and open world games the player can usually explore cities thoroughly if they desired. The option is there, it doesn't have to be part of the main quests.

My point is, the absolute lack of exploration in the cities reflects the laziness and lack of attention to detail, and for a major company what is the excuse? Lack of resources?

Now, don't get me wrong. I do love the game and it is among my favorite Pokémon games. But it does have glaring issues nevertheless. Empty cities is one for me.
They might as well not have any cities outside of Mesagoza. This game just feels so empty.

That is intolerable for a huge company such as Game Freak. What happened, their brains are already mushy for thinking just about money, money, money? In past games you could explore buildings. Heck, in X/Y there was SO much to explore in Lumiose City, and that's in the 3DS!

In Scarlet and Violet, the "cities" are the Pyonyangs of the Pokémon World. All pretty and big, but they are only for show, they're just stages, facades.
You would think that with better hardware everything would be improved and not just some stuff. If anything, it seems the newer games are just regressing in some aspects. which is pretty disappointing.

Yeah, I don't understand the gripe about not being able to enter houses, it's not as though it was ever that meaningful a feature and there is more realism to not being able to.

The shops being menus instead of actual buildings however I'll grant felt rather lazy.

Yeah, I don't understand the gripe about not being able to enter houses, it's not as though it was ever that meaningful a feature and there is more realism to not being able to.

The shops being menus instead of actual buildings however I'll grant felt rather lazy.
Perhaps the reason the shops are menus is because of just how many there are? Unlike past games where each town only had one shop, there's like multiple in each town, with Mezagoza having like 8 or so.

Probably a wild take but I dislike Tera Raid Battles. They're way too fast paced and anarchic for my liking, and a large majority of the game's performance flaws I've seen are from when I do these battles online. Max Raids may have been insufferably clogged with sword doggos and skeleton dragon aliens but at least they had basic structure and didn't bug out as much.

Tera Raids also resulted in Cinderace joining Charizard and Greninja in the hallowed list of my most despised Pokémon so they've got that negative personal experience going against them too. How very fitting for me then that the previous 7 star event was Charizard and the next one will be Greninja!

I reaaaly don't like the post-credits contents of the game, so I'm really hoping (but not completely expecting) the February update brings something meaningful to it. See, my playing style after the story is done consists of completing the Pokedex, by leveling up and evolving Pokemon in a trainer facility (like the Battle Maison or the restaurants in SM, and the Wild Area worked as a nice replacement as all Pokemon were level 60) and then catching some Pokemon I'm missing while trying some features. However, the former isn't as fun as my only options are:

-Team Star rematches (which are usually veeery far from Pokemon Centers and you never have two on the same area)
-Area Zero (which has a very repetitive pool of Pokemon compared to the Wild Area, and for some reason locks the photo, picnic and all online features)
-Academy Ace Tournament (which locks you into 4 long battles with no option to quit or switch Pokemon)

So, I've still yet to find a battle mode that pleases me, but what about the other part of the game? Pokemon catching is the same, but two features that come with it are pretty flawed. First is outbreaks, which are long and tedious, and if you don't like the pasiveness of the Let's go mode your only option is to battle the Pokemon individually which takes centuries. The worst is that the Legends Arceus outbreaks had the perfect balance between both! It also had the research tasks, which made the outbreaks rewarding even if you didn't find a shiny or a good amount of EXP. I understand how the tasks can trigger people's OCD but I really hope they return for Gen X as they are an efficient way to keep me invested on finding and battling wild Pokemon. Second is raids, which people have already talked about its problems, but also I'd like to add that connecting to them actually feels worse than in SWSH, with even longer waiting times until you get a "Sorry, can't connect" message.

I liked the main game a lot but with each hour played the errors become more evident.

not really fond of the day/night cycle. in previous games, it depended on the irl time of day, so you could just fuck with the system settings and it'd be the time you wanted immediately. Now i sometimes have to wait half an hour for the thing i want.

I am also sorely missing some kind of post-game content. Battle towers and facilities have always been my favorite. Last gen I was severely disappointed that they stripped the tower of multi mode, and now they've just deleted the tower altogether. Unforgivable. All I've been doing since I beat the game is shiny hunting. I don't even like shiny hunting.

not really fond of the day/night cycle. in previous games, it depended on the irl time of day, so you could just fuck with the system settings and it'd be the time you wanted immediately. Now i sometimes have to wait half an hour for the thing i want.
You can change your settings on the Switch and move 30 min ahead so you can manually change the hour in game. Still, I agree it is a pain and the game should have implemented a form to change it, like sleeping in your dorm or something.

I wish there were better places to level up than the Great Crater/Area Zero. The music is beautiful, but it also makes me feel kind of sad, and I'm also sad about those poor Pokemon that can't return to their own time. I wish the best place to level up was in the East Province, because the music makes me happy and energetic.

I wish there were better places to level up than the Great Crater/Area Zero. The music is beautiful, but it also makes me feel kind of sad, and I'm also sad about those poor Pokemon that can't return to their own time. I wish the best place to level up was in the East Province, because the music makes me happy and energetic.
Don't for get the Tera Raids. The give so much candy you can level up very easily.

Please note: The thread is from 1 year ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom