• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

what are somethings you don't like about pokemon legends arceus?

I don't like the fact that you can't let Volo win..... Because he wouldn't win even if you gave him the Arceus Plates....

I disagree. In this game exploring and farming is essentially the same thing and are rewarded.
Extra sachel slots and moves from Zisu are the only substantial necessities of money in this game and farming and crafting and for those willing to go the extra mile, using just the default hair and free outfits (of which I am NOT one) rather than indulging in optional purchases will save more to spend on these things.

Though I have read that the satchel guy goes up to 5mil and that's pretty ridiculous, not that one needs to get that far. I'm in post-game and have only gone up to I believe 3k as I have only kept essential crafting items, healing items, and Poke balls on me. Everything else either goes into storage or gets discarded.

The battle mechanics in this game apart from the choice between attempting a capture with or without entering a battle encounter were not intended as a fix but to push battling more into the background since this game was not designed to focus on battling. At least that is how I view it. Even in the noble and final diety battles battling is a support mechanic rather than where victory lies.

For the most part, I have a positive opinion of this game but as with anything I do have some grievances:

- The side quests needed to give clearer instructions on where to go to find the person we're told to talk to and at times what needed to be done. I had to Google more side quests than I didn't to be able to complete them.

- The vastness of the areas in this game is fantastic but can be difficult to navigate. I even had a bit of trouble finding the player's quarters and the pastures in the village without the marker system for a little while.
The marker system, however, isn't entirely efficient outside of the village without all of the ride Pokemon available as it doesn't account for obstacles such as mountains and water prior to one having the ride Pokemon to cross them. Therefore even following markers I got lost a lot when I was at that stage. Real GPS devices allow the choice of different routes and some can even account for obstacles such as traffic and accidents so something of that nature would have been nice.

- Although it was vaster than LGPE which is something, I'd have loved a more vast national dex. We are compiling the first known Pokedex here and just because a certain selection was introduced in Sinnoh doesn't mean it's the only one that can ever exist there. This game even demonstrates that with plenty of out-of-region selections available outside of time distortions and with most of the nobles originating from other regions.

- The little control we have over the sidequests that rely on RNG is obnoxious.
  • The big Buizel quest 99% of the time can only be fulfilled by an Alpha which isn't a common spawn.
  • Requiring Complete Pokedex entries for Cherrim and Bermy, Pokemon that only spawn in shaking trees is rather inconvenient.
  • I didn't believe it could get worse than that horrific Buizel quest until I had to impose a full moon for the Clefairy dance quest.
It's a lot of resting to get to a full moon night, one must be watching from all angles from specific open locations to see the moon, and waiting for it to appear burns at least a quarter of the night. The first time I tried to get to Fabled Springs during a Full Moon morning broke after I'd barely left the vicinity of the camp.
After that, I decided to just stand around in a safe spot in Fabled Springs as the in-games nights passed but GF managed the incredible feat of getting the day and night cycles to pass slower when not active/occupied and if the game is paused or the Switch goes into sleep mode, the progression of the cycle is paused. The Cherrim on top was that I swear it sometimes took two night cycles for a moon stage to progress. This just made me impatient so I returned to camp, rested until the 3/4 moon this time before returning to Fabled Springs for more standing around. Then I had to Google what to do once it was a Full Moon and after that first attempt was freaking out that I wasn't going to figure it out before the night was over.

- There are some plot inconsistencies and missing development.
  • This might not fall under either of those categories per se but that the lore of the nobles is obtained through optional means is rather inefficient.
  • The miss fortunes are all defected members of the three core groups in Hisui and openly express having grievances with each of their former groups but there is no follow through on their backstories. I'm interested in Charm's and Coin's in particular.
  • Laventon mentions ride Pokemon in Alola. Either that is an inconsistency with the period and premise of the game or Hisui is rather behind other regions. To be honest this one could go either way.
  • The design of Hisuian Voltorb and Electrode on top of being lazy should not still resemble a Pokeball when the Pokeball was a new invention that few used. The Legends Pokedex does record it as resembling an Apricorn but I disagree. It looks like a Pokeball with a woody texture, the way they are in this game. That the Pokeball happen to take the appearance of a Pokemon when Pokemon were not well known is an awfully strange coincidence.
  • Final Chapter Spoilers: In the scene in which the player is exiled from the village, a member of each clan express with regret an aversion to helping out of a desire to avoid conflict with the Galaxy Team but Kamado all but admitted that he doesn't trust the clans in having disregarded the trust their nobles gifted the player and earlier in the game he refers to the Galaxy Team as the interlopers of Hisui. The latter is supported in how most of the wardens, all of whom are members of the Diamond and Pearl clans had not been thrilled to accept the help of not just a stranger who came out of a space-time rift but a member of the Galaxy Team to interfere with their nobles. Furthermore when Beni reveals that he and Kamado migrated to Hisui to build a safer life (including establishing the Servey Corp) after their home village was destroyed by a rampaging Pokemon. What even is this relationship with the Galaxy Team that the clans don't want to screw up?
  • Final Chapter and Post-Game spoilers: There is an entire dramatic event in which the player is condemned and exiled from the village for being accused of causing the rift and Nobles' frenzies to manipulate the region but when Volo reveals himself to be the actual culprit no one seems to give a shit. That honestly kind of pisses me off.
I'm replying to the last part in particular. Volo is tall enough, desperate enough, and probably strong enough that if someone other than Kamado apprehended him, they'd probably get yeeted off of Mt.Coronet. I honestly don't understand why Volo wanted the player character to die the slow agonizing death of being eaten by Giratina.

I enjoyed the game overall, but the thing I disliked the most was the actual environment. It was a step in the right direction for Pokemon, but "big world" doesn't necessarily mean "interesting world." I wish there were more interesting areas, landmarks, and things to find in the world.

I enjoyed the game overall, but the thing I disliked the most was the actual environment. It was a step in the right direction for Pokemon, but "big world" doesn't necessarily mean "interesting world." I wish there were more interesting areas, landmarks, and things to find in the world.
You do realize that there's the arenas, the really tall cliff in Obsidian fieldlands, Ok I'm not naming everything, but there's landmarks!

Honestly, the worst thing about Legends is that there isn’t more of it. I think it’s the best game in the series since at least Emerald, maybe Crystal (which I hold in particularly high regard, but I understand that it’s due in large part to nostalgia). I would therefore have liked a lot more - another large area reserved for the postgame would have been interesting, for example, and I desperately wish that a functional battle facility had been included (this could be explained as easily as having notable trainers from Kanto and Johto visit the new settlement). In particular, we can see suspicious static clouds on the horizon from the Cobalt Coastlands - I thought that was actually hinting that we’d get to go there to another area, one intentionally obscured to avoid spoiling something. I also would have like to see more Pokémon from at least Kanto and Johto, which are somewhat geographically close to Sinnoh and could have appeared naturally or could have been able to be transferred with the excuse that they’re at least known to people in surrounding regions already. It would have been nice to use all my favorite species from GSC in a game where the aesthetic is clearly a sign of Johto-centric culture spreading in the form of a colony. The game left me wanting even more, something I can’t fully satisfy even with replays.

The only thing that I didn’t really like that was included would have to be that gathering crafting materials begins to feel a little tedious as the game goes on. I usually end up just purchasing all the requisite materials to make more Pokéballs as I get about halfway through the story, selling items I don’t need from temporal distortions to fuel my feather ball habit. I think that it could have been adjusted so that materials gathered per collection point scaled with the player’s progress, even if only a little. Similarly, the cost to expand bag slots gets a little silly at a certain point.

Why the heck are there so many replies to this? There's almost nothing wrong with the game.
I mean, there's always going to be things people dislike about something. That being said, I only have one issue with this game: the lack of abilities. That's literally it though I think. This game honestly made me like Sinnoh (or at least the ancient version of it,) more than the original Diamond game for me all those years ago ever did.

I don't like how we can't have green hair. I was trying to play as Mitsumi from Diamond and Pearl Adventure but it won't let us have green hair, despite several characters having it. Arezu can't whip something up?

The lack of trainer battles, as well as online battles. I get that the game wasn't made with battling being the primary focus, but it has a fresh, new and interesting battle system that I would've loved to at least mess around with against friends. Like what's the point of a Legends Plate Arceus if I can't actually do anything meaningful with it? Sure I can go body other Pokemon in AI battles, but I'd really like to battle against at least my friends on local wireless or something.

Couldn't agree more with EmpoleonProd. The lack of focus on battling kind of makes this game hard to replay for me, because I don't see much of a need to catch them all again once I've done it already, especially because it becomes tedious and frustrating when you take the Spiritomb wisps into account. Like other people in this thread have stated, those are terribly executed. The poor rendering distance of them definitely does NOT help.

Other than that, the lack of a mini-map is a sticking point for me. I was happy to see one added in Scarlet/Violet, but it is also sorely needed here, especially since I get easily lost and the maps for the areas are still huge.

I also really hate how Braviary cannot truly fly. Why is Pokemon so adverse to letting us fly in a fully rendered world? Did they not want to make Sneasler useless? Does it matter, because you still need to scale mountains to get some crafting materials exclusive to them? Braviary is a bird, not a glider. Let me enjoy the power of true flight in a game that isn't ORAS or Let's Go! [At least Braviary glides better than Koraidon - it got nerfed horribly in S/V.]

Lastly, there isn't enough Cogita. I want to know more about her, because she is such an interesting character with great potential. I mean, I know it's a mainline Pokemon game and those often have poorly developed stories, but the more recent ones have been so tantalizing with introducing so much potential and just wasting it.

Last edited:
i'd like to comment on the wisp problem; the terrible render distance is only a thing during the day. at night, i could just fly over the region with Braviary and spot them from way up high.

Lastly, there isn't enough Cogita. I want to know more about her, because she is such an interesting character with great potential. I mean, I know it's a mainline Pokemon game and those often have poorly developed stories, but the more recent ones have been so tantalizing with introducing so much potential and just wasting it.
Cogita is fascinating! I got the impression that she's lost the ability to relate to others due to centuries of isolation (frankly it's a wonder she's still capable of communication, so she must be getting "found" more than the game lets on. She implies Volo wasn't her first student, for instance). She seems like she can't really deal with emotions very well, especially loss. Her notion of coping is telling you to never talk about things, and when you complete the Enamorous mission, she basically won't talk to you any more. There's some notion of intense sadness about her that she's long ago lost the ability to fully communicate.

I know people get on her case for, well, always getting on Volo's case, but from her perspective, he was squandering his natural gifts by slacking off. She wanted him to be better (and then he wasn't, but not for the reasons she had thought).

There's also something funny about how her outfit looks so antique to our eyes but would have been shockingly modern (and very foreign) in the 1870s. Is Enamorous stealing clothes for her during trips to other regions?

I also really hate how Braviary cannot truly fly. Why is Pokemon so adverse to letting us fly in a fully rendered world? Did they not want to make Sneasler useless? Does it matter, because you still need to scale mountains to get some crafting materials exclusive to them? Braviary is a bird, not a glider. Let me enjoy the power of true flight in a game that isn't ORAS or Let's Go! [At least Braviary glides better than Koraidon - it got nerfed horribly in S/V.]

Probably because flying would remove all skill from the exploration and navigation and make getting to your destination too trivial. If you can just fly everywhere then that reduces the incentive to walk on the ground, fight with or avoid Pokemon, look for items, battle trainers, and generally just engage with the bulk of the game content. Notice that when you actually are allowed to fly it's usually in a separate map from the ground level overworld and they have wild Pokemon to interact with. They would need to have something similar with the open world (probably even expanded to make it more engaging, like having Sky Trainers to fight, areas that you can only get to while flying such as clouds or floating landmasses, and its own form of materials and items), and they don't seem to have had the opportunity to implement something like this so they don't want to implement full fight without it, just gliding.

Probably because flying would remove all skill from the exploration and navigation and make getting to your destination too trivial. If you can just fly everywhere then that reduces the incentive to walk on the ground, fight with or avoid Pokemon, look for items, battle trainers, and generally just engage with the bulk of the game content. Notice that when you actually are allowed to fly it's usually in a separate map from the ground level overworld and they have wild Pokemon to interact with. They would need to have something similar with the open world (probably even expanded to make it more engaging, like having Sky Trainers to fight, areas that you can only get to while flying such as clouds or floating landmasses, and its own form of materials and items), and they don't seem to have had the opportunity to implement something like this so they don't want to implement full fight without it, just gliding.
You don't earn the ability to glide until the end of the game, and by that point, you will have engaged with most of the content anyway. Thus, I don't see this as a valid explanation, particularly since other JRPGs also allow you to unlock flight later after you've explored every area.

Even without additional flight-exclusive content, during the end game, flight can be used as a convenient way to find specific Pokemon to fill your Pokedex, since that's what you'll be doing after you've completed the bulk of the story. As is now, it just feels tedious to get from place to place when you've already explored everything and just want to quickly catch specific Pokemon and then leave.

Don't like how some of the agile style and strong style were handled. I think the idea of it not being turn based is good, but sometimes, it was honestly a little unfair. Had a moment where Volo's Spiritomb got to move three times in a row.

Also, some of the boss battles were so difficult and I think could use tweaking. Arceus's fight was so hard I still haven't sat down and beat it yet...

You don't earn the ability to glide until the end of the game, and by that point, you will have engaged with most of the content anyway. Thus, I don't see this as a valid explanation, particularly since other JRPGs also allow you to unlock flight later after you've explored every area.

You might have, but not necessarily. If you're a speedrunner or just want to get to the end of the game you probably won't have engaged with most of the content.

Even without additional flight-exclusive content, during the end game, flight can be used as a convenient way to find specific Pokemon to fill your Pokedex, since that's what you'll be doing after you've completed the bulk of the story. As is now, it just feels tedious to get from place to place when you've already explored everything and just want to quickly catch specific Pokemon and then leave.

Ehh, that depends on how high up you are and whether or not you can freely control your elevation. If you're like, 10 feet/3 meters above the ground or something you might be able to use it for that purpose, but more than that and you'd be too far up to search. Frankly, if they were to implement full flying I doubt you'd be able to fully control your elevation, you'd probably climb to and land from a set height. And that wouldn't be suitable for finding ground based Pokemon, you'd use it to quickly go from one destination to the next or to find Pokemon that inhabit the skies.

we've always been able to fly in pokemon though. in gen 1, you gain the ability to fly after defeating Lt. Surge. what do you mean that doesn't count?

They're referring to freely controllable flight like Soaring in ORAS, not fast travel like the Fly HM in the older games.

Please note: The thread is from 8 months ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom