• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

what are somethings you don't like about pokemon legends arceus?

shadowcelebi

Reaction score
don't get me wrong, the game is great, ok. but its not a perfect game and its bound to have flaws. so i'm curious as to what are somethings you people don't like in the game. if you ask me on what i don't like about the game, its the fact that they removed held items and abilities. and also the AI has more power over you where you can only have one pokemon in battle at a time, but the trainer/AI can have more then 1 which is honestly unfair.

I don't like how ridiculously overpriced extra inventory can become. Something like the Korok Seed mechanic from Breath of the Wild would've been so much better, as it would reward the player for exploring rather than farming.

Another thing I don't like is how hard it is to get Cherubi and Cherrim early, it's completely RNG-based and there is no way to change that. It wouldn't have been as bad if they didn't have to spawn in the same tree as other Pokemon. Combee, Burmy, and Wormadam all have trees to themselves, so why is there a need to make it so hard to obtain a Grass-type that's not even that strong and cannot be strong either?

Not a fan of the difficulty or the changed battle system either. I liked abilities and held items and the option to switch whenever you KO'd an opponent's Pokemon and all that. There was nothing wrong with this system. And not having breeding kind of sucks too. What if you got a Pokemon's evolution first before ever finding that actual Pokemon? The game really does not give you much hint at all for the locations of certain ones

And as for the difficulty, it's another thing I felt wasn't "broke" like the battle system. Past games were kind of easy, but they weren't so easy that they were boring. If anything had to be changed here, it should have been adding difficulty settings. Not making a game super hard to cater only to the crazy hardcore players. Some of us are casual and like it that way. Why couldn't B2W2's difficulty settings be a staple?

Lastly, I dislike the lack of voice acting. The cutscenes feel super awkward without it, especially when pretty much every other big 3D game nowadays has some degree of voice acting. Even Zelda's joined that club with BotW.

Oh, and why do Pokemon games hardly ever feature cloud saving on the Switch? What if a player's Switch got corrupted and they had files with a bunch of shinies and stuff? I have over 800 hours on Sword from shiny hunting mainly, I'd be completely livid if I lost it because my Switch suddenly decided to die on me. And that's not even bringing up the shiny Cresselia I spent so long looking for in BD too...

Lastly, I dislike the lack of voice acting. The cutscenes feel super awkward without it, especially when pretty much every other big 3D game nowadays has some degree of voice acting. Even Zelda's joined that club with BotW.
Honestly this is getting close to inexcusable. It's not like they don't have the money, and it's not like they don't already have a stable of voice actors ready to go for at least the English release. They should have added voice acting in Sword and Shield.

(Another advantage to having voice acting is that it can provide synergy with the anime by casting the same person to play a certain character in both the game and the show).

Honestly this is getting close to inexcusable. It's not like they don't have the money, and it's not like they don't already have a stable of voice actors ready to go for at least the English release. They should have added voice acting in Sword and Shield.

(Another advantage to having voice acting is that it can provide synergy with the anime by casting the same person to play a certain character in both the game and the show).
Yeah, and obviously, VAing can add to a character as well because you get to actually hear them say things, not just see words on a screen. You get their general tone and delivery. With good VAing, that is, but these days, VAing in English at least is good enough.

I don't like how ridiculously overpriced extra inventory can become. Something like the Korok Seed mechanic from Breath of the Wild would've been so much better, as it would reward the player for exploring rather than farming.
But it does. By exploring and gathering materials, you can use those materials to craft items instead of spending money to buy them, therefore giving you more money to spend on inventory upgrades.

Anyway, as for my gripes with this game:

1. Voice acting. If Fire Emblem Three Houses, a game on the same console with a (presumably) significantly lower budget can have voice acting for literally every line in the game, then I see no reason why this game can't.

2. Random Pokémon. It's not fun to wait for a Space-Time Distortion to appear in order to catch the Fossil Pokémon, the Magnemite line, and the Porygon line. It's not fun constantly going back to Jubilife Village to try and find Munchlax, Bonsly, the Cherubi line, and plenty others. So why is it like this?

3. Graphics. I personally am of the belief that bad graphics can't make a game worse, but good graphics can make a game better. While not nearly as outrageous as the absence of voice acting, I still don't get why this game can't just have good graphics.

Last edited:
But it does. By exploring and gathering materials, you can use those materials to craft items instead of spending money to buy them, therefore giving you more money to spend on inventory upgrades.
That is true until you have the ability to repeatedly encounter the Miss Fortune Sisters, which you can then keep farming Gold Nuggets from them.

Last edited:
I have two problems that are probably related: having to catch multiple species of Pokemon for the Pokedex and the Hisui Dex is too small. The former is probably a way to pad out the game because the latter is an issue. I'm almost fine with the Hisui Dex as is, but there's a severe lack of Dragons with just Garchomp and Goodra, and they cut the only other Dragon type from the Platinum Sinnoh Dex with Altaria not being in (but they still need more than that, you should really be able to create an entire team of Dragons if you so wish). Another Fairy type wouldn't hurt either (and again, they had another one in Azumarill but they cut it for some reason).

-I personally hate how there's no double or triple battles. It feels unfair when you wind up with 3 Pokemon ganging up on your one.
-I'm not too crazy about the new battle system when you can have your opponent attack 3 times in a row.
-I still don't understand why they can't get voice acting. After Sword and Shield and the infamous Piers singing with no voice scene, I've started to become sick of it.

I also don't like when I have to use the move styles for any number of times for many of the Research Tasks, mainly because using either style deducts 2 PP rather than the usual one.

Whilst my feelings about PLA are mostly positive, I do have a few gripes.

- Echoing other's sentiments here in that I don't care much for the battle system. I can understand why they went in a slightly different direction, as for a lot of people, the formula of the battle system in the mainline games is growing stale, but I like the predictability and familiarity of it, so I had no reason to want it to adapt to something different, personally. I really don't care much for turn order, and having multiple Pokemon able to attack you whilst you're only able to send out one (even if it makes sense in context, I suppose) is really irritating.

- On that note, I really don't care for the way Exp. is awarded in PLA. Having to wait until the end of an encounter/battle to receive Exp. instead of at the end of a turn where a Pokemon faints is both very weird, and very tiring. Years of conditioning from the regular format lead me to constantly forget this new feature and make decisions based upon the assumption that I will receive Exp. once a Pokemon faints. Maybe someone else understands the logic behind this change a little more than I do, but so far I'm just finding it really inconvenient.

- Graphics. For the most part, I'm able to overlook the general mundane look of most of the enviornments and textures, but as I mentioned in the thread about PLA graphics, there are times where the flaws are impossible to ignore. I also feel the shading is lacklustre and I wish they would have cleaned up the outline pixel problem in darker areas before release; it bothers me much more than it perhaps should.

- Curly hair options are dire, exactly as they were in Sw/Sh. The 'curled' hairstyle looks much too formal for the setting and isn't really curly, anyway. Is it so difficult to give me a fluffy, curly hairstyle that doesn't look awful?! Aahh!

Another Fairy type wouldn't hurt either (and again, they had another one in Azumarill but they cut it for some reason).
It's so they can include it in DLC :p

- Curly hair options are dire, exactly as they were in Sw/Sh. The 'curled' hairstyle looks much too formal for the setting and isn't really curly, anyway. Is it so difficult to give me a fluffy, curly hairstyle that doesn't look awful?! Aahh!
Definitely agree. If you're Black and you want your character to look like you, with natural hair, you're SOL. GF needs to be better about this.

I disagree. In this game exploring and farming is essentially the same thing and are rewarded.
Extra sachel slots and moves from Zisu are the only substantial necessities of money in this game and farming and crafting and for those willing to go the extra mile, using just the default hair and free outfits (of which I am NOT one) rather than indulging in optional purchases will save more to spend on these things.

Though I have read that the satchel guy goes up to 5mil and that's pretty ridiculous, not that one needs to get that far. I'm in post-game and have only gone up to I believe 3k as I have only kept essential crafting items, healing items, and Poke balls on me. Everything else either goes into storage or gets discarded.

not fond of the revamped battle system in general. it wasn't broken; don't try to fix it.

The battle mechanics in this game apart from the choice between attempting a capture with or without entering a battle encounter were not intended as a fix but to push battling more into the background since this game was not designed to focus on battling. At least that is how I view it. Even in the noble and final diety battles battling is a support mechanic rather than where victory lies.

For the most part, I have a positive opinion of this game but as with anything I do have some grievances:

- The side quests needed to give clearer instructions on where to go to find the person we're told to talk to and at times what needed to be done. I had to Google more side quests than I didn't to be able to complete them.

- The vastness of the areas in this game is fantastic but can be difficult to navigate. I even had a bit of trouble finding the player's quarters and the pastures in the village without the marker system for a little while.
The marker system, however, isn't entirely efficient outside of the village without all of the ride Pokemon available as it doesn't account for obstacles such as mountains and water prior to one having the ride Pokemon to cross them. Therefore even following markers I got lost a lot when I was at that stage. Real GPS devices allow the choice of different routes and some can even account for obstacles such as traffic and accidents so something of that nature would have been nice.

- Although it was vaster than LGPE which is something, I'd have loved a more vast national dex. We are compiling the first known Pokedex here and just because a certain selection was introduced in Sinnoh doesn't mean it's the only one that can ever exist there. This game even demonstrates that with plenty of out-of-region selections available outside of time distortions and with most of the nobles originating from other regions.

- The little control we have over the sidequests that rely on RNG is obnoxious.
  • The big Buizel quest 99% of the time can only be fulfilled by an Alpha which isn't a common spawn.
  • Requiring Complete Pokedex entries for Cherrim and Bermy, Pokemon that only spawn in shaking trees is rather inconvenient.
  • I didn't believe it could get worse than that horrific Buizel quest until I had to impose a full moon for the Clefairy dance quest.
It's a lot of resting to get to a full moon night, one must be watching from all angles from specific open locations to see the moon, and waiting for it to appear burns at least a quarter of the night. The first time I tried to get to Fabled Springs during a Full Moon morning broke after I'd barely left the vicinity of the camp.
After that, I decided to just stand around in a safe spot in Fabled Springs as the in-games nights passed but GF managed the incredible feat of getting the day and night cycles to pass slower when not active/occupied and if the game is paused or the Switch goes into sleep mode, the progression of the cycle is paused. The Cherrim on top was that I swear it sometimes took two night cycles for a moon stage to progress. This just made me impatient so I returned to camp, rested until the 3/4 moon this time before returning to Fabled Springs for more standing around. Then I had to Google what to do once it was a Full Moon and after that first attempt was freaking out that I wasn't going to figure it out before the night was over.

- There are some plot inconsistencies and missing development.
  • This might not fall under either of those categories per se but that the lore of the nobles is obtained through optional means is rather inefficient.
  • The miss fortunes are all defected members of the three core groups in Hisui and openly express having grievances with each of their former groups but there is no follow through on their backstories. I'm interested in Charm's and Coin's in particular.
  • Laventon mentions ride Pokemon in Alola. Either that is an inconsistency with the period and premise of the game or Hisui is rather behind other regions. To be honest this one could go either way.
  • The design of Hisuian Voltorb and Electrode on top of being lazy should not still resemble a Pokeball when the Pokeball was a new invention that few used. The Legends Pokedex does record it as resembling an Apricorn but I disagree. It looks like a Pokeball with a woody texture, the way they are in this game. That the Pokeball happen to take the appearance of a Pokemon when Pokemon were not well known is an awfully strange coincidence.
  • Final Chapter Spoilers: In the scene in which the player is exiled from the village, a member of each clan express with regret an aversion to helping out of a desire to avoid conflict with the Galaxy Team but Kamado all but admitted that he doesn't trust the clans in having disregarded the trust their nobles gifted the player and earlier in the game he refers to the Galaxy Team as the interlopers of Hisui. The latter is supported in how most of the wardens, all of whom are members of the Diamond and Pearl clans had not been thrilled to accept the help of not just a stranger who came out of a space-time rift but a member of the Galaxy Team to interfere with their nobles. Furthermore when Beni reveals that he and Kamado migrated to Hisui to build a safer life (including establishing the Servey Corp) after their home village was destroyed by a rampaging Pokemon. What even is this relationship with the Galaxy Team that the clans don't want to screw up?
  • Final Chapter and Post-Game spoilers: There is an entire dramatic event in which the player is condemned and exiled from the village for being accused of causing the rift and Nobels' frenzies to manipulate the region but when Volo reveals himself to be the actual culprit no one seems to give a shit. That honestly kind of pisses me off.

Last edited:
A ton of things, sadly. I'm pretty disappointed with this game and I haven't really felt like playing it for a while now. I will echo the sentiments in this thread about the battle system. I don't like it either. But I also hate how aggressive the overworld is. You can hardly catch a break without some Pokémon targeting you and sometimes it take quite some effort to shake them off. I do think the aggressiveness of wild Pokémon kind of makes sense in-universe given how the Hisui region is supposed to be a wild Pokémon paradise mostly untouched by humans, but I also think they could have scaled it down a bit.

Also, catching is tedious and it quickly grew boring to me. I don't want to catch multiple species of 200+ Pokémon in several different ways. At this point I don't think I'll ever think I'll get to Arceus but sadly I don't even care anymore. And I really thought catching was going to be one of my favorite things in this game, given I have a living dex.

The graphics are another thing. They felt pretty rushed in places, especially when gliding around with Braviary.

I was also disappointed with the repetitiveness of the gameplay loop. At around the third area I knew exactly what to expect of the game going forward (new area, go from point A to point B, get ride Pokémon, go to boss arena, battle boss, etc.) and there were not a whole lot of surprises left.

While my review of the game is very much positive, I do have a few grievances with Legends.

First off, while I admire the fact that GF actually did something different with the battle system, I don't like the fact that Speed is basically the king of all stats. That's been the problem with some games, such as Digimon Story Cyber Sleuth, where having high Speed means you can pretty much launch attack after attack after attack before the opponent (or you, if you're on the receiving end of it) can even move, but here in Legends it's downright evil. I feel it would make more sense for such a method if one used priority moves instead of it being universal to the Mon's Speed stat, as it makes slow, bulky Mons like Torterra or the new Ursaluna less useful if they're getting hammered three to four times before they can even launch one attack. The Speed stat should only be used like it normally has and the extra turn bit should only be allowed if a priority move has been used (or something like Paralysis takes effect), and only once, so you can't string together multiple priority moves to lock your opponent out of battling. The cooldown turn system is neat but the fact that Speed basically rules the battle more than ever now really doesn't help matters.

My second problem is the fact that when engaging certain species of wild Mons in battle they can run away. I really don't like that. Once a battle starts it should be locked in place until it ends. It reminds me too much of the Gen 1 and 2 days, were rarer Mons would run the first chance they get. Basically, once a Mon has been engaged in a battle it should be forced to stay put until the battle ends like in more modern games (sans roaming Mons, but they're a whole other can of Wurmple). But the fact they can run at any given moment pretty much ruins the point of battling them.

And finally, the lack of abilities was bit of a letdown. While I can understand the lack of held items, as most are manmade items, the lack of abilities can make or break several Mons. That's one of my bigger gripes with LGPE, as the removal of Abilities, many of which were vital to the Mon in question, made them less useful overall. In terms of held items, while I can understand why they aren't in this game, at least allowing your Mon to hold something like a Sitrus Berry so it can save itself when you're being ganged up on wouldn't have hurt much. But the loss of abilities in this game did hamper several Mons.

Please note: The thread is from 8 months ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom