• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

What are the chances that the Coronavirus causes episodes to be delayed or canceled?

Rica clarified in another Tweet that she was in fact not talking about Pokémon but another anime. So the show is not in danger of being put on hiatus yet.

That said, the Corona crisis is far from over so who knows... Most of all, let's hope everyone involved stays safe.
I agree. People's safety should always come first. I am a little nervous though about how fans like myself are going to adjust to this if a hiatus does happen, since this show has been my main source of escape. I hope we can find a good replacement to help keep our stress-levels down during this unpredictable time (I'm thinking of maybe writing fanfiction for Pokemon 2019 to help keep this anime alive in my mind).

I wonder if Pokemon: Coco will be delayed in Japan from Friday July 10 due to the all the theaters being closed atm with all the movies being postponed

I wonder if Pokemon: Coco will be delayed in Japan from Friday July 10 due to the all the theaters being closed atm with all the movies being postponed
It could go down by then, although we don't know if it would. It's four months from now, and we don't know when this virus's death toll will slow down.

They might make it available for streaming instead. From what I've heard, that's what they've been doing for movies in the west. Does anyone here know if Japan has been doing the same thing, or plan to do the same thing?

They might make it available for streaming instead. From what I've heard, that's what they've been doing for movies in the west. Does anyone here know if Japan has been doing the same thing, or plan to do the same thing?
Major movies just changed release dates from what I’ve heard, so if Japan earnings are important enough, they’ll just delay the movie I think.

Some movies have been delayed while others are put on streaming services. I think it's more of a case by case kind of situation, as well as which ones are too big or too expensive to just put on streaming services right away. In this case, they still may be required to delay the movie if the risk is too high even in July, but it's hard to say for sure right now.

I think they have enough material for the anime to last us at least until July/August. The DLC however, is a different case.

The mini-Nintendo Direct from a couple of weeks ago still said that the first wave of the DLC should be released by the end of June. That could still change, but they might be further along into that development to where they could work on it remotely without much of a problem. They might have more difficulties with the second wave of the DLC though.

Don't the voice actors record their lines many episodes in advance or something? Even if the series goes on hiatus, it probably won't be for a while since we recently got new episode titles and I'm sure that the episodes were already finished by the time the titles were revealed... ?

I do wonder if the new movie will be delayed though. There's been very few promo material for it in the past few weeks compared to how much promotion past movies had by this point in their respective hype periods.

If the show does go on hiatus, I hope it's not for very long and I sure hope episodes don't get scrapped.

Edit: I wish I had said this sooner, but I hope everyone involved in making this anime doesn't get overworked to meet deadlines. I'd love to see Sobble soon, but I don't want episodes it's in to suffer due to crunch. I really hope everything turns out great in the end, but please keep everyone safe and don't work them to death please.

Last edited:
If the show does go on hiatus, I hope it's not for very long and I sure hope episodes don't get scrapped.

Edit: I wish I had said this sooner, but I hope everyone involved in making this anime doesn't get overworked to meet deadlines. I'd love to see Sobble soon, but I don't want episodes it's in to suffer due to crunch. I really hope everything turns out great in the end, but please keep everyone safe and don't work them to death please.

I highly doubt that episodes will be scrapped. A hiatus is quite possible, but I don't see why they'd cut episodes out completely over the virus situation. They work on episodes months in advance and I'm sure that they still have quite a few episodes pretty much ready to go. A hiatus might not happen for a couple of months.

Delaying the movie is also likely to happen. I think it would depend on how the situation develops in Japan and how they respond to it, but pushing it back to sometime this fall wouldn't be a huge surprise.

It's been nice to still have new episodes to look forward to while being stuck at home, but if the show does eventually go on a hiatus because of the situation, I certainly wouldn't be surprised and would easily understand. My dad caught the virus at work, so I'm pretty sensitive to those who still have to go into their jobs during this time and certainly hope that all of the voice actors both in Japan and abroad stay safe.

The movie, at this point, I pretty much expect to be delayed. A lot of movies that were supposed to come out here in the coming months have been pushed to the summer, but even those new dates aren't a safe bet. Crowded, enclosed places like movie theaters are going to be among the last things to re-open. I would hope things would be better by July, but it's definitely not a guarantee.

Is it weird to say I'm glad? Obviously I love having a new episode to look forward to every week, but I'm happy the production are finally taking steps to prioritise their staff's safety. I imagine things may be different once it returns, whether they have to curtail/cut some plot elements if it is a long hiatus, and God forbid nothing should happen to any of the staff working on the show. I'm grateful for what we've had (and are continuing to have!) till now.

The movie could be canceled for all I care, but they'll compromise on something. There's a reason why they stuck to July premieres for 22 years, so expect the box office numbers to be affected.

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom