• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

What are the chances that the Coronavirus causes episodes to be delayed or canceled?

There are two scenarios that could see postponement:

1) If a member of staff at Studio OLM tests positive for the virus, anyone they have come into contact with will be asked to self-isolate for 14 days. In this event, the potential staff shortage would cause a delay.

2) If Japan declares a nationwide closure of offices and asks people to stay at home. Goes without saying that should this happen, production cannot be done on the anime.

Until then, things will continue as normal.

Unfortunately, this is an unpredictable situation that's changing on a daily basis. Nobody can say what the "chances" of it happening are. All we can say is that other studios have closed already, there are new cases appearing every day in a lot of places, and that the possibility is certainly there.

As far as I know, the whole production of the anime is done in Japan (except for the Kartana episode which if I recall correctly had help from Korea) and it doesn't seem like the kind of country which would stop working, specially in an industry like television which serves as a way of escapism. Maybe some episodes could be skipped because of news coverage, but I don't think production will suddenly halt.

Like J Bouken said anything can happen, but for now the best think is to not think too much about it.

How would the gaming industry be affected by the virus?
That'd ironically be a good thing since it lets the games breathe and people can enjoy them before they're swept under the rug and never mentioned again, while also giving the creators time to think about the next game for more than two months before jumping into production and releasing an unfinished product and charging the playerbase for the other 75% of the game next year

As for the anime, I hope we only get delays and not cancellations, because then we get another "What could've been" like with Best Wishes and the entire series takes forever to recover

I don't think anything is going to get canceled or banned. I mean we just had an episode about Ash being sick or had gotten sick, although I don't know what the policy is one "banning" episodes if they contain important plot points (a capture or whatnot), maybe they'd come up with some kind of weird recap to explain how Ash or someone ended up with said Pokemon, but I'm not sure.

But there could be hiatuses. If the coronavirus affects people to the point that it affects production, time probably will have to wait until productions resumes. I don't know if they release the finalized episodes and then have the hiatus when they aren't ready for other episodes., or just outright hold the release of episodes, until production resumes.

But I hope it never reaches that stage in Japan.

Well technically yes I'm sure that COVID-19 could theoretically cause some delays in the future, but really it seems like Pokemon episodes possibly getting delayed should be the least of our priorities tbh. I mean, people are dying so it feels inappropriate to care more about delayed episodes than human lives.

Well technically yes I'm sure that COVID-19 could theoretically cause some delays in the future, but really it seems like Pokemon episodes possibly getting delayed should be the least of our priorities tbh. I mean, people are dying so it feels inappropriate to care more about delayed episodes than human lives.
Oh I know. I just wanted to know what you guys think would happen, if anything.

This outbreak is scary but I don't think it will have a big impact on the show at least not yet.

I work at Disneyland (not a franchised one) and the moral is that the show must go on. Don't know if Pokémon will follow the same logic...

But wouldn't Disneyland also close if a lot of people get sick and their attendance levels fall to the point where it isn't profitable to keep the theme park open?

This outbreak is scary but I don't think it will have a big impact on the show at least not yet.

But wouldn't Disneyland also close if a lot of people get sick and their attendance levels fall to the point where it isn't profitable to keep the theme park open?
That would be last resort.
Right now you cannot meet the princesses. All characters in the park are costumed ones. All the outdoor shows have been canceled, minus the parade. As well, the restaurants cannot have more than 1000 people. In the restaurants the cutlery is individually given to the visitors. A lot more is being done, but I just gave some examples. This is new. For everyone. We don't know how long it can last and how many it will kill. We can close everything. Sure. But for how much time?

How ironic. I just heard that Disneyland will close (the one in Anaheim at least) on Friday and will remain closed for the rest of the month. You know things are getting serious when Disneyland of all places shuts down.

At the very least, they should have enough episodes in the pipeline to last until this nonsense blows over...

I would think the animation could be done remotely. The script writing and voice recording are done in isolation to begin with.

I was also wondering this in the preview for SS020; where I asked if any of the anime production from OLM come from China, since they had 7 animation directors for that episode alone. Maybe they need more animation directors for that episode because some of the anime production has already been disrupted, so they are brought onboard to help with the in-between frames or something.

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom