• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

What are the chances that the Coronavirus causes episodes to be delayed or canceled?

Death rates are still close to zero

Over half a million deaths in the span of 4 or 5 months says otherwise...

and most of new cases are related to nightlife district.

Which would be fine if it weren't for the risk of them passing it on to others without even knowing it. There lies the problem... :(

Ok I have to be honest but it really bothers me when people worry more about a possible hiatus than they do about the damage that the virus has caused and will probably continue to cause in the next few months. A lot of fans in general have been very selfish about this whole COVID thing and how it's affected the show in the past 3 months and I really think people need to humble themselves to what's happening instead of being so quick to criticize the hiatuses.
Did you not read my whole post? At the end I said "I hope everyone in Japan is staying safe." Obviously I do care about everyone's safety and well being. That obviously comes first. If we have to wait for episodes, so be it. The safety of the staff and everyone for that matter comes before anything else. We waited like a month for the show to come back and I'm sure most people are willing to wait again (that's assuming another hiatus hits). I can wait, I'm fairly patient.

So before you accuse me of being selfish and entitled (which I'm not, by the way; nice try trying to paint me as a bad guy here, that was real classy of you...), maybe you should read through the whole comment first. If you did read it, then you clearly ignored that part to try and make me look bad, which I don't appreciate.

They reopened faster in the US only because they were far more cautious with their lives than the US was. Japan handled COVID relatively well. The US handled this so poorly that they’re only reopening for appearance and economy’s sake, not because it’s right to. We’re so slow that the only shows returning to normal production are soap operas, after several hiccups. Superman and Lois is set to start in Vancouver at the end of September. New Zealand just granted permission for shows and movies including the next season of Power Rangers. Carnival Row and the Falcon and the Winter Soldier have an idea of resumption in whatever country they shoot in. Notice that these are US shows that already shoot internationally (well, Superman and Lois is new, but most of that universe shoots in Vancouver, including the mother show) The US is an embarrassment

Last edited:
Ok I have to be honest but it really bothers me when people worry more about a possible hiatus than they do about the damage that the virus has caused and will probably continue to cause in the next few months. A lot of fans in general have been very selfish about this whole COVID thing and how it's affected the show in the past 3 months and I really think people need to humble themselves to what's happening instead of being so quick to criticize the hiatuses.

Sorry, but this response kind of rubs me the wrong way. Maybe this is happening in other places within this fandom (really wouldn't shock me, unfortunately), but I haven't seen much of that around here, especially not in this thread. Everyone has been very respectful in their discussions and is consistently wishing for all of the staff's health and wellness, as it should be.

As someone who lived through being in a "hot spot" and was personally impacted by the virus on multiple levels, I think it's completely valid to be able to discuss the many impacts this pandemic has had and will continue to have on all of our lives. I mean, this is a Pokemon forum...so why wouldn't we discuss how the pandemic has affected the show? I was disappointed when the show went on hiatus as it was one of the very few things I had left to look forward to in a time where things were particularly bleak, but I completely understood it was for the best and was more than willing to wait until it was deemed safe for the show to resume. If it is ultimately deemed there needs to be another hiatus, then it's obviously for everyone's safety, and that's what comes first and foremost.

Being disappointed and being selfish are not mutually exclusive and it's completely unfair to assume otherwise.

There’s also the fact that in America, animation kept chugging along production-wise during quarantine. Fox’s Sunday night lineup is the only scripted originals that haven’t been stuff they just didn’t premiere in 2019-2020. Sure there might be some leftover episodes, but they weren’t holdovers from a production shutdown. There have been several reports about how animation is booming in this time. In a way, maybe that’s what made the airing hiatus all the more puzzling for people. But hey, maybe Japanese artist homes weren’t as well-equipped as American artists and animators? I don’t know. The fact that the hiatus was only 7 weeks is great. But Japan had their reasons to put their shows on hiatus. For me, I was honestly kind of glad that it did, if only to stall Japanese airings to close the gap between their and America’s airings. Even if it ends up fruitless.

Sorry, but this response kind of rubs me the wrong way. Maybe this is happening in other places within this fandom (really wouldn't shock me, unfortunately), but I haven't seen much of that around here, especially not in this thread. Everyone has been very respectful in their discussions and is consistently wishing for all of the staff's health and wellness, as it should be.

As someone who lived through being in a "hot spot" and was personally impacted by the virus on multiple levels, I think it's completely valid to be able to discuss the many impacts this pandemic has had and will continue to have on all of our lives. I mean, this is a Pokemon forum...so why wouldn't we discuss how the pandemic has affected the show? I was disappointed when the show went on hiatus as it was one of the very few things I had left to look forward to in a time where things were particularly bleak, but I completely understood it was for the best and was more than willing to wait until it was deemed safe for the show to resume. If it is ultimately deemed there needs to be another hiatus, then it's obviously for everyone's safety, and that's what comes first and foremost.

Being disappointed and being selfish are not mutually exclusive and it's completely unfair to assume otherwise.
In addition to this, people probably don’t want to discuss a pandemic's devastation in a Pokemon forum. We've got enough of that in the news and other websites. Most websites are congested with coronavirus news and most of us are well aware of the devastating impact it is. I’m feeling it personally. This was the year I was supposed to complete my schooling and enter a college for bachelors. Most of my batchmates couldn’t even complete their standardised exams, and now we're horribly stuck, many of us don’t know what to do with regards to college, and many of us spent the last month afraid for our exams. We were even threatened with giving the exams in the middle of a pandemic (they finally got cancelled with protests, though). My entire family is high risk due to pre existing conditions, and the situation would be really grim if coronavirus were to infect any one of us,

This is just a personal anectode, but people's lives are still being negatively impacted and many of them often use the Pokémon discussion as a way to escape negativity and get their minds off all the toxicity in the world currently. And most of the users if not all, are still wishing for the welfare of the staff and the people working so hard to give some positivity to the world in the form of this media. And I don’t think anyone on here is against hiatuses happening. Sure, it’s the stop of the anime, and some people are just sad that it happened, but that doesn’t mean they’re inconsiderate about human life. You can understand what led to this happening while being sad that it happened.

I think it's weird that some people are downplaying the seriousness of the virus and the possibility that Japan might need another lockdown. If the anime going on hiatus helps the production team and voice actors avoid getting sick then I'm all for it no matter how long it takes.

I think it's weird that some people are downplaying the seriousness of the virus and the possibility that Japan might need another lockdown. If the anime going on hiatus helps the production team and voice actors avoid getting sick then I'm all for it no matter how long it takes.

If another hiatus is necessary, it should happen.

We just hope another hiatus won't be necessary. Also, Japan seems to control the situation better.

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom