• 4chan is an 18+ website, and as such we do not want to expose our underage users to that site.

You may post screen shots and text from 4chan, but direct linking to the site or its archival sites is not allowed.

Thanks.

• Please check out our recent thread on handling different opinions and toxic behavior here.
  • If you are finding yourself unable to log in, you should be able to fix the issue by following the following process.
    1. Close all browser tabs with any part of Bulbagarden open.
    2. Delete all Bulbagarden.net cookies (and if possible, any cached site data for Bulbagarden) from your browser.
    3. Close and reopen your browser, open a new tab, and log into the forums on the new tab.
    If you've followed this process and are still having issues, please contact us via the "Contact us" link at the bottom of the forum.
  • Please remember to keep spoilers about the new Pokemon games in their respective sections here and here.

What are the things you like and don't like about Sword and Shield?

Reaction score
Despite introducing DLC, Gamefreak have yet to introduce any free updates that enrich the original sword and shield experience. If games such as Animal Crossing can do it, why can't Pokemon? Free seasonal updates such as christmas themed cosmetics or events or even spring events could make the game feel more lively and supported.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I really, really love the Crown Tundra as an area, but I’ve been doing a lot of Raids lately, and I’ve noticed that unlike the Isle of Armor, there’s not really a good spot that offers a vantage point of the entire area so that I can see all of the active Raid dens. There’s some spots that are serviceable, but so often there will be a bunch of active dens at the Frigid Sea that I just plain couldn’t see from afar.

Despite introducing DLC, Gamefreak have yet to introduce any free updates that enrich the original sword and shield experience. If games such as Animal Crossing can do it, why can't Pokemon? Free seasonal updates such as christmas themed cosmetics or events or even spring events could make the game feel more lively and supported.
Most of the Animal Crossing updates are just adding in things that already existed from the start in previous games. I think that sort of speaks to its own time management issue, if so much of that stuff wasn’t ready in time for the initial release. That situation is more like if SwSh lacked, say, the entire breeding mechanic upon release and needed it to be patched in later.

Probably another factor, I suspect, is that Game Freak are likely already at work on creating the next Gen 8 game, while also developing the concept for Gen 9. Meanwhile, what else does the studio responsible for Animal Crossing have going on at the moment? (Kinda genuinely asking here; near as I can tell, the game is made by a subset of Nintendo itself, but it’s not clear to me how much overlap there is with AC’s team and the teams behind Mario or Zelda and the like. I think the AC team is also responsible for Splatoon, but...?) Of course, that is a frequent criticism of Game Freak, that their turnover time is too quick.

Also, while not comparable to new holiday-themed content, Pokémon seems to be relying more on Max Raid events as their seasonal highlights.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
He/him
Most of the Animal Crossing updates are just adding in things that already existed from the start in previous games. I think that sort of speaks to its own time management issue, if so much of that stuff wasn’t ready in time for the initial release. That situation is more like if SwSh lacked, say, the entire breeding mechanic upon release and needed it to be patched in later.
I think I also recall reading that they also did that so people don't use time travelling to discover events.

Reaction score
As an alternative (or accompaniment) to a all-seeing physical vantage point, I'd be willing to accept a display of active Dens on the Town Map.

By the way, Restricted Sparring is so much fun, but I really wish it supported Doubles.

Also you know on the Animal Crossing note... I love New Horizons, but man alive do SwSh run rings around that game in terms of quality-of-life. I spent a large chunk of the weekend island-hopping in search of a specific Villager, and I gave up after 90 trips because my hand was just fucking done from having to fly to each island, fly back, go through the loading prompts with Orville, rinse, and repeat until I ran out of Nook Miles Tickets, and then had to buy them one by one at the terminal in the Town Hall. I mean, Pokémon's let you buy multiples of something at once since... literally 1996, right? And now someone else has automatically moved in, so in order to get that Villager I wanted, I just have to look for a bootleg amiibo card, and even if I find one for a decent price, it's still a three-day process of summoning the Villager to your island and gradually enticing them to move in. It really made me re-appreciate how SwSh are over here letting me change Natures, relearn moves for free (even previously-learned TRs without requiring another copy!), fly around directly from the menu in a flash, and swap party members in and out of the PC virtually anywhere with just a couple of button presses.

Reaction score
There really is just no reason to be this pessimistic with zero explanation behind your opinion. Not everyone is disenfranchised with GF so please speak for yourself.
Once we moved to the 3DS, Game Freak adopted the mobile mentality that everything must be easy and their games still printed money. SwSh without the Wild Area and the DLC would be terrible.

Now with Mega Evolution
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
He/Him/His
Once we moved to the 3DS, Game Freak adopted the mobile mentality that everything must be easy and their games still printed money. SwSh without the Wild Area and the DLC would be terrible.
That’s because “easy” is not only subjective, but also doesn’t equate to a poor game. “Mobile mentality” also is not the same as “easy” and is a rather loaded phrase.

Anyway, SwSh did have the Wild Area and DLC so that’s pretty much a moot point as well.

Reaction score
Some UIUX criticisms that’ve been in my head lately:

Psychic Terrain and Misty Terrain should be more distinguished from one another. I’ve noticed that when Electric Terrain is active, it not only has a unique yellow shade, but you can also see arcs of electricity surging across the screen. Similarly for Grassy Terrain, there is a distinct green shade to the environment, but you can also see blades of grass drifting through the air. But when it comes to Psychic and Misty Terrain, not only are their color palettes very similar (lavender and pink), but they also lack those sorts of extra effects. All you have are the puffs of mist around the field, but those are present with Electric and Grassy Terrain as well, so as a visual signifier, that doesn’t work so well because the errant mist is something you see with all terrains - it’s not something unique to Psychic and/or Misty. This wasn’t nearly as much of an issue in Gen 7, when terrains changed the entire look of the battle environment. Psychic and Misty terrains were very visually distinct from each other then.

Next point is a small one, but why is the current weather in the overworld displayed in the lower-left corner of the Max Raid Battle invite screen? Near as I can tell, it has no bearing whatsoever on the actual battle, which always starts with neutral weather and terrain. I find it kind of misleading.

Lastly is actually a pretty big annoyance for me, but is small in terms of its actual complexity. So, let’s say you go into your party menu, wanting to change a Pokémon’s current held item. You click on the Pokémon, and then choose “Held item.” Your options at that point are as follows:

- Open your Bag (in other words, select a new item from the Bag to replace the current one)
- Put it back in your Bag (take the current item away without giving this Pokémon a new one)
- Give an item (move the currently held item to a different Pokémon in the party)

Who... the hell words it like that? I can’t be the only one who reads “Give an item” and interprets that as what “Open your Bag” refers to, can I? And because I do, my brain always latches onto that as what I want to do rather than going straight to “Open your Bag,” which I feel is somewhat linguistically abstracted from the actual goal. “Open your Bag” is more open-ended and vague a directive than “Give an item,” which describes precisely what you are doing and with what.

B2W2 accomplished this flawlessly using only one word for each: Give, Take, and Move. Give an item to this Pokémon, Take an item from this Pokémon, and Move this Pokémon’s item. That, to me, was so much clearer. But even if they insisted on a wordier approach here, why not “Give to another Pokémon”? That’s 23 characters, exactly as many as “Put it back in your Bag,” so it’s not like it wouldn’t fit in the box, right?

The Mega Multishipper of Miroir Way
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
she/her/they
Things I like

-The Galar region is really cool
-The characters are all iconic
-There were so many cool Pokémon

Things I don't like

-PSS System will always be the best online format
-The region felt a tad too linear
-Wyndon could have used a few more buildings to go into (West End esque theatres, a ferris wheel, etc.)