• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

BDSP What are you Excited for in Pokemon Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl

Yes, agreed. But now that I have played the game I do feel the overall style is a bit closer to LGPE than to SW/SH. imo.
It is vaguely close due to the chibi nature, but honestly that’s where the similarities end in my opinion.

72169CBD-99C2-4CD7-AC83-82CF7E4DBB24.jpeg
3719A158-9EF5-4039-97D8-5E172C0E919C.jpeg
For me, at least, I don’t think the above two are remotely on the same level as the below when graphics are concerned.
497E98A4-F1DE-4FA4-97BF-2B6E0BE560D5.jpeg

LGPE’s Chibi world in general still remains vivid, and has tried to maintain a slight sense of scale in the game to build upon the previous chibi art style. For all intents and purposes it’s an evolution of the 2.5D style from the previous entries.

Whereas BDSP, for the better or worse, is basically the same DS style but with 3D models slapped on in a grid 3D world. It’s honestly closer to a 2D game than a 3D game to me.

To each their own, I guess. I still see more aesthetic resemblance between BDSP and LGPE, but I do agree each one has their own particular style.

To each their own, I guess. I still see more aesthetic resemblance between BDSP and LGPE, but I do agree each one has their own particular style.
There’s an aesthetic similarity, but they’re nowhere near the similar level. The LGPE world is more coherent with what it wants to be. The following Pokémon feature illustrates it perfectly. The following Pokémon feel like they are meant to be following Pokémon, just contrast with BDSP where we have a chibi overworld and then there's a 3D model of a Rayquaza popped in looking comically shrunk.

Putting them on the same level minimises the effort LGPE made imo. It is clearly vastly more polished than the BDSP overworld. LGPE also actually evolved on the "2.5D" artstyle and adds a sense of scale that’s absent from BDSP even in the chibi structure.

They're all different for sure, but if I had to say which is closer to BDSP between LGPE and SWSH, I also would say LGPE. And I think that's also all OP wanted to say here.

They're all different for sure, but if I had to say which is closer to BDSP between LGPE and SWSH, I also would say LGPE. And I think that's also all OP wanted to say here.
I do understand that. I just pointed out that because the OP's phrasing was "LGPE-level graphics" when BDSP is definitely not LGPE-level. I wanted to give LGPE some credit for its work on adding scale to the chibi art style.

Last edited:
I do understand that. I just pointed out that because the OP's phrasing was "LGPE-level graphics" when BDSP is definitely not LGPE-level. I wanted to give LGPE some credit for its work on adding scale to the chibi art style.
I don't think you should state your opinion as fact. Fine, you think LGPE is mostly superior, and I respect it just as you should mine. Moreover, your opinion is not an objective measurement of quality, none is. I did state that my observation was an opinion. Hence, the "imo", "in my opinion".

And I am not minimizing anything. I think LGPE are great games in their own right, but for me so are BDSP.

I don't think you should state your opinion as fact. Fine, you think LGPE is mostly superior, and I respect it just as you should mine. Moreover, your opinion is not an objective measurement of quality, none is. I did state that my observation was an opinion. Hence, the "imo", "in my opinion".

And I am not minimizing anything. I think LGPE are great games in their own right, but for me so are BDSP.
I do add “in my opinion” when it’s subjective.

But 3D high poly following Pokémon models in a grid world with chibi 2D art style is a clear mismatch. The LGPE following Pokémon models were plopped into the BDSP world when they are a huge mismatch and seem borderline ridiculous when you look at Pokémon like Dialga and Rayquaza.

The 2D vs 3D debate might be subjective but some metrics of graphic quality can be evaluated. The consistency of art style; for one.

In your opinion BDSP and LGPE graphics may be on the same level; but in my opinion LGPE graphics are a clear notch above BDSP and these are my reasons for concluding that; which do happen to have a basis in fact.

There’s an aesthetic similarity, but they’re nowhere near the similar level. The LGPE world is more coherent with what it wants to be. The following Pokémon feature illustrates it perfectly. The following Pokémon feel like they are meant to be following Pokémon, just contrast with BDSP where we have a chibi overworld and then there's a 3D model of a Rayquaza popped in looking comically shrunk.

I agree that the LGPE is aesthetically more rich or superior to the BDSP, as well as being more polished. However, despite the following Pokémon feature ratio problem, I don't think the graphics and BDSP world are inconsistent, on the contrary.

And between us, the aesthetic part is the best thing about LGPE, which, in my opinion, is a fucking boring game.

I do add “in my opinion” when it’s subjective.

But 3D high poly following Pokémon models in a grid world with chibi 2D art style is a clear mismatch. The LGPE following Pokémon models were plopped into the BDSP world when they are a huge mismatch and seem borderline ridiculous when you look at Pokémon like Dialga and Rayquaza.

The 2D vs 3D debate might be subjective but some metrics of graphic quality can be evaluated. The consistency of art style; for one.

In your opinion BDSP and LGPE graphics may be on the same level; but in my opinion LGPE graphics are a clear notch above BDSP and these are my reasons for concluding that; which do happen to have a basis in fact.
I forfeit. In one thing we both agree, we are having a discussion on subjective matters, and there is no further point in debating about subjective matters, such as perceived quality. There is no end on sight.

I stand firm on my own opinion about both games, though. Whatever rocks out boats, is all I have left to say.

Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom