• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

SwSh What are you Excited for in the SwSh DLC (Isle of Armour (released) and Crown Tundra) V.2

BackSet

You Could Use Some Imagination
Reaction score
Because we got a new trailer for Crown Tundra, I figured it was time to make a new thread about excitement. Mainly because I didn't want to be accused of thread necromancy. Also because Isle of Armour has been released.

Remember, keep the negativity on the down low.

So, what are you excited for in Crown Tundra?

Everything pretty much

New clothes are always something I get happy about.

I really like Max Raid Battles already, so Dynamax Adventures will appeal to me. They look like an interesting challenge since they rely on rental Pokémon, and I get the feeling that different paths in the dens might have different incentives. You can go for the Pokémon that you would prefer to capture or that you have an advantage against, but this image also shows a pile of berries down one path, so maybe there's a reason you would want to take that route instead (like restoring HP or PP, kind of like the limited restores you had in Restricted Sparring). Also, in one part of the trailer, we can see a raid boss Zygarde changing into Complete Forme. Just imagine that HP stat... :eek:

The Galarian Star Tournament looks more flavorful than I'd expected, with pairings like Leon and Hop appearing to have special dialogue together. (And seeing them battle as a team is just really cool, plus I can team up with Klara!!! :love:)

New lore for the Kanto birds and the Regis, and I'm curious to see if all of the old Legendary Pokémon receive new Pokédex entries. The Unova and Alola Legendaries that were included in the base game did (even though their entries weren't part of the Galar Dex and thus weren't viewable in-game), so I'd say there's a decent chance.

What looks to be a pretty huge and winding map. I liked the Wild Area reasonably enough as a starting point, and the Isle of Armor improved on that idea a lot, so I expect the Tundra to be even better.

I mentioned this in the other thread, but the atmosphere looks so magical. Pokémon in the overworld is by far one of the best innovations of Pokémon on the Switch, and it brings so much more life to the environment. I remember being pretty awed by the Poni Plains in Sun & Moon, where you had a big open field with rustling trees and shadows racing around in the grass and cast on the ground from bird Pokémon flying overhead, but they've taken that to a whole other level.

I am disappointed however that G-Max Melmetal is just a one-off distributed gift and that it seems as though I won't be able to give the G-Max Factor to my own (Shiny) Melmetal.

Oh, also. I like that there are some houses and NPCs this time around. Every NPC on the Isle was a functional interaction (regional trades, Watt Daddy) and the only community space was the Dojo. Which is fine for that area since its backstory is that it was an uninhabited island that Mustard bought, but it'll be nice to see some ordinary people just living their lives in one of these open-world areas.

I like the Isle of Armor, but it's the Crown Tundra I've been looking forward to the most. It's based on Scotland which is a place that's very dear to my heart - I'm a quarter Scottish and used to go there frequently on childhood holidays. The theme of the Crown Tundra is apparently exploration, which has always been one of my favourite aspects of the Pokemon games.

On top of that, we have six extremely cool new Legendary Pokemon. My first thought when I saw Calyrex was "That's a funny-looking deer", but I grew to love it once I realized it's most likely based on a hare. Its Bulbapedia article suggests that it's an arctic hare, but I like to think it's a mountain hare, a species found in Scotland that turns white in winter. It's interesting to see a Legendary - especially a game mascot - that's small and delicate, a trait more commonly seen in Mythical Pokemon.

I find Galarian Articuno, Zapdos and Moltres really aesthetically-pleasing for some reason; I think it's their colour schemes. And the new Regis are fascinating because, like the original trio, they seem to represent different eras. If my theory is correct, Regidrago represents the age of the dinosaurs, and Regieleki represents the modern age, the one we're living in now. I really hope they're not version-exclusives - the fact that their temple is painted in two colours makes me hopeful that they won't be, as does the fact that the official website and trailers haven't indicated as such.

The Crown Tundra just looks beautiful as well, from what we've seen of it so far. Windswept wilderness and snowy mountains have always captured my imagination.

Last edited:
That initial hour or so of independent exploration - doing that thing in 'real' sandboxes where you give Avery (or, in this instance, Peony) the two-fingered salute and dive into the new landscape yourself. There was a wonderful period in IoA where I had to figure out the interconnectivity of the areas and make constant mental notes to go back and investigate the nooks, crannies and brooks; can't wait for that again.

There's a lot to be excited about such as the tournament and Dynamax Adventures in terms of new features. However, I'm definitely looking forward to the upgraded lore the two new Regis will bring to the overall Regi lore.

As a side note, the addition of the Magmar line means I can put together a full JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Stardust Crusaders team with either Magmar or Magmortar being Avdol.

Last edited:
The new Wild Area.

The one in the base game was very barren and dissapointing, the Isle of Armor one in comparison was much more well designed.

I just want some more things to do in the next one. More collectibles, more points of interest that are accessible, etc.

I am definitely happy for some of the returning Pokemon (like Spheal, Audino, the Hoenn starters).

I'm really curious to the see the story plot regarding the new legends, I feel like we might get some more info regarding Eternatus. Plus Sonia is supposed to be there so any more backstory with her (like her gym challenge, the whole soured rivalry between her and Leon) is always a plus.

But I'm most interested in the Galarian Stars tournament. To echo what was said up thread, but the text being changed depending on the matchups adds so much personality and flavor to a cast of characters that are already really great. Like actually seeing Mustard and Leon interact (which we were robbed of on IoA, like how are you going to make one of Leon's traits getting lost but not have him wind up on the IoA by accident and have Mustard roast him for it). Plus the more oddball pairings (like Avery-Bede and Raihan-Gordie) will make for some interesting revelations I assume.

No new revelations, but here's a cool clip with some new footage:

(Regieleki looks so rad there :D)

Just 13 days to go!

By the way. I wonder if there will be a better way to get Apricorn Balls in this wave. When you finally manage to get one from the Cram-o-Matic, Hyde comes up and says, "I'll keep improving my tech, until someday, we can replicate the skills of even a master craftsman through the power of science. Just you wait. Er. I mean. Forget it... I've said too much..."

I hope the tournament includes old characters.

Same tbh. For a region with arguably the biggest emphasis on big (showy) battles, it'd be weird if they didn't try to top the Unova one. (Especially since Megas and Z-Moves now exist but I don't think they'll bring them back for this DLC.)

I think I'm going to really like the Galar Star Tournament. The stadium battles are one of my favourite parts of Sword and Shield, so more of those can only be a good thing.

I'm really curious to the see the story plot regarding the new legends, I feel like we might get some more info regarding Eternatus. Plus Sonia is supposed to be there so any more backstory with her (like her gym challenge, the whole soured rivalry between her and Leon) is always a plus.

I'm expecting those giant trees to be linked to the Dynamax phenomenon in some way. I think we probably will find out more about the history behind Dynamax and/or Eternatus.

I'd forgotten about Hop's hint about Sonia "opting for the cold and snow"! I'd love to see more of her. I think she might actually be my favourite character in the game - her parts of the story were some of the most interesting, not only because of the history she uncovered but also because of her own personal arc. It was nice to see her finding her joie de vivre again after past experiences left her feeling jaded.

Wouldn't it be great if we could actually battle Sonia and get her League Card? Boltund would be her ace, of course.

Same tbh. For a region with arguably the biggest emphasis on big (showy) battles, it'd be weird if they didn't try to top the Unova one. (Especially since Megas and Z-Moves now exist but I don't think they'll bring them back for this DLC.)

I think the Z-moves are bust (since they are an Alola specific thing, but I wouldn't rule out the Megas. Mainly that pretty much all of the Pokemon returning in the DLC are mega capable and I've watched people do randomizers on Youtube and they've gotten abilities like Parental bond and mega items. I mean it could be just that those were dummied out...

Also I do have hope that we will get a PWT like situation in Galar. Just because there hasn't been any mention of it doesn't it mean it won't exist. I think they're trying not to spoil too many things (compared to Gen 7 where we knew just about everything going in).

Wouldn't it be great if we could actually battle Sonia and get her League Card? Boltund would be her ace, of course.

We definitely need her league card! I think it's likely that we'll get her league card in the crown tundra. I also wouldn't be surprised if there was a battle against her. Someone found a dummied out battle pose for her in one video I saw on youtube for main SwSh (but then again they found a bunch of dummied out things so who knows). While not confirmed at all, can't rule out the possibility

That, and the fact that Sonia took part in the Gym Challenge in the past. Surely she has a battle team ready somewhere. I'd hate it if she'd never battle us while we know she did the challenge. (Cause I'm pretty sure she also befriended Nessa that way.)

I still haven’t finished Isle of Armor in either game yet. I might just go ahead to Crown Tundra and come back to IoA later.

As we wait for The Crown Tundra to go live, another thing I'm looking forward to is finding out what's in the Pokedex. I've seen the leak which shows which Pokemon are returning, but I'm curious to know which Pokemon from the main Galar Dex are included, and whether any Pokemon from the Isle of Armor will appear. I'm hoping Trevenant, Slurpuff and Aromatisse are included, because then there might be a chance to catch them in the wild like the rest of the trade evolutions.

Edit: I just remembered that Porygon2 and Porygon-Z currently can't be caught in the wild either, but I can't really imagine seeing those Pokemon wandering around the Crown Tundra!

Edit 2: Slurpuff and Aromatisse aren't in the dex sadly, but Trevenant is, so I'm hoping I might see one roaming around.

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom