• 4chan is an 18+ website, and as such we do not want to expose our underage users to that site.

You may post screen shots and text from 4chan, but direct linking to the site or its archival sites is not allowed.

Thanks.

• All content from the former Roleplaying Games forum has been merged into the Writers' Workshop forum. You can find more information in this thread.

We hope to see you roleplaying away soon!
  • Regarding Isle of Armor/Crown Tundra DLC Spoilers

For anyone browsing this section wishing to discuss spoilers and official announcements for the Isle of Armor as well as the Crown Tundra, please keep them to the Sword and Shield Expansion Pass thread. Please be courteous to those who wish to experience the DLCs without being spoiled. Thank you.

• Hey everyone! The Writer's Workshop is hosting an exciting event, Trainers of Fanfiction! It's a community event focused around your characters!

What are you naming your player character?

Fire Pokémon Expert
Reaction score
Eira. I was just thinking about this and I really like it. It's a name in Wales meaning 'Snow'.

I also used this name for my Dalish Elf Warden in Dragon Age Origins. xD
It fits well enough with the dalish/elven theme, for certain.

PinkIceTales!
Reaction score
I do try to theme my names somewhat to sound appropriate in the setting. I named my Moon/Ultra Moon protagonist 'Lona' as it was listed as a name for a Hawaiian Lunar goddess.

Now with a m̶e̶g̶a̶ Gigantamax
Reaction score
First game of a generation always uses my real name.

Subsequent names have used nicknames, names I like, or, in the case of US, the name of my grandpa.

Reaction score
Probably after swords and shields, obviously! Or armor, or mythological figures.

Female: Schiavona (basket hilted sword from croatia), Caetra (iberian celtic buckler), Parma/Parmula (latin for "round shield", can be used to refer to Viking shields), Pavise (tower shield), Karabela (polish saber), Adarga (heart/buttcheek-shaped arabic shield), Skjold (icelandic or old norse for shield), Skogul (valkyrie), Eir (valkyrie of healing), Brynhilde (Valkyrie), Helreginn (jotunness), Macha (celtic goddess), Morrigan, spatha (latin for longsword), Morgaus (morgan le fay's twin sister), Gunivere (arthur's wife), Rowena (Vortiger's wife), Morglay/Joyeuse/Preciuse (swords from Roland's legend), Brjyna (icelandic for chainmail), Valdis (another way of saying valkyrie), Angrabotha (Loki's mom), Kindjal (gladius-like russian dagger)

Male: Clay (scottish for sword), Maekir (faroese for sword), Saif (arabic for straight sword), Agnatyr (legendary berserkr), Rondache (another word for round shield), Dhal (hindi for round shield), Egil (Jotunn), Vali (son of odin), Logi (Icelandic pronunciaton of Loki), Agaravain (spiteful and dark knight of the round table), Vortiger (distant ancestor of king arthur), Spathion (greek pronunciation of spatha), Kilij (turkish for sword), Jian (mandarin chinese for sword), Ken (japanese foreither sword or fist)

octopi are cute
Reaction score
Unlike everyone using their real name, I'll be using Chibi, as that is what I am going my currently. I like naming the protags names I'm using online. Makes me feel more immersed.

Ace Knight
Reaction score
Kai. Despite me choosing the female protagonist.

Reaction score
Arturia/Altria for a female, for obvious reasons ;) Also a lot of the item names like Maekir, Skjolder, etc. could also work for a girl. I could think of a few more:

Maki (a pun on Makhaira, a type of greek sword somewhat similar to a Kukri, which also works as a name. It's also the slavic root word for sword)

Kara

Hulda (means hidden in icelandic/old norse)

Lycoris (fits with the theme naming, being floral).

Galanthe (after the snowdrop flower, which in many ways is the opposite of the lycoris in symbolism and also contains the name of the region. Funnily enough, potent dream-enhancing substances can be found in both the lycoris and the snowdrop, the exact same chemical to be exact).

Informed Casual
Reaction score
I really like the name Galanthe :)

People who use their real names, that’s totally fine, you do you :) But personally I’m hoping the England-based region kinda opens the floodgates for more fantasy elements in the future. I know that’s a bit stereotypical, but still :p I really like that I’m able to cross one of the things I’m most passionate about (Pokémon) with something I’m really starting to get into (Tolkien).

Last edited:
Reaction score
Kalos had a ton of fantasy elements to it (even if they weren't the main focus). Seems like all the regions based around some european country will have fantasy elements. Imagine regions based around Germany, Poland, Scandinavia or the Balkans ;)

Cute bunny baby
Reaction score
My own name, which I always do.

When I play Sword and pick the dude, I'll probably just name him Victor.

Informed Casual
Reaction score
Kalos had a ton of fantasy elements to it (even if they weren't the main focus). Seems like all the regions based around some european country will have fantasy elements. Imagine regions based around Germany, Poland, Scandinavia or the Balkans ;)
In fairness, though, the regions based on Japan incorporated fantasy/mythology elements relevant to Japanese culture. Johto was probably the most successful in this regard, possibly Sinnoh too but I didn’t get a chance to play it. Alola had a good chunk of those cultural elements too with the Tapu, Alolan Dugtrio, etc.

I am growing to understand fantasy in a broader context than just western. At the same time, probably because of the connection to Tolkien and various “swords and sorcery” tropes, there’s something about Galar and Kalos that feel familiar.

Reaction score
I usually name the girl my own name or Minya. When I pick the boy, I name them after one of my fictional characters; usually whoever I am writing at the time, and I try to role-play their choice in team. Probably going to be Either Nemo, Tomally, Apollo or Fisch. Does anyone know if we can choose white hair?

Reaction score
I usually name the girl my own name or Minya. When I pick the boy, I name them after one of my fictional characters; usually whoever I am writing at the time, and I try to role-play their choice in team. Probably going to be Either Nemo, Tomally, Apollo or Fisch. Does anyone know if we can choose white hair?
Well, white was one of the colors you could use in SM, although it was "unlockable" there. Hopefully it will be there from the start this time.

Reaction score
Well, white was one of the colors you could use in SM, although it was "unlockable" there. Hopefully it will be there from the start this time.
Wow; all this time, and I didn't know that. Though, I guess I never re-styled my hair after my first salon visit.