• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

SwSh What are you naming your player character?

Probably after swords and shields, obviously! Or armor, or mythological figures.

Female: Schiavona (basket hilted sword from croatia), Caetra (iberian celtic buckler), Parma/Parmula (latin for "round shield", can be used to refer to Viking shields), Pavise (tower shield), Karabela (polish saber), Adarga (heart/buttcheek-shaped arabic shield), Skjold (icelandic or old norse for shield), Skogul (valkyrie), Eir (valkyrie of healing), Brynhilde (Valkyrie), Helreginn (jotunness), Macha (celtic goddess), Morrigan, spatha (latin for longsword), Morgaus (morgan le fay's twin sister), Gunivere (arthur's wife), Rowena (Vortiger's wife), Morglay/Joyeuse/Preciuse (swords from Roland's legend), Brjyna (icelandic for chainmail), Valdis (another way of saying valkyrie), Angrabotha (Loki's mom), Kindjal (gladius-like russian dagger)

Male: Clay (scottish for sword), Maekir (faroese for sword), Saif (arabic for straight sword), Agnatyr (legendary berserkr), Rondache (another word for round shield), Dhal (hindi for round shield), Egil (Jotunn), Vali (son of odin), Logi (Icelandic pronunciaton of Loki), Agaravain (spiteful and dark knight of the round table), Vortiger (distant ancestor of king arthur), Spathion (greek pronunciation of spatha), Kilij (turkish for sword), Jian (mandarin chinese for sword), Ken (japanese foreither sword or fist)

Unlike everyone using their real name, I'll be using Chibi, as that is what I am going my currently. I like naming the protags names I'm using online. Makes me feel more immersed.

Arturia/Altria for a female, for obvious reasons ;) Also a lot of the item names like Maekir, Skjolder, etc. could also work for a girl. I could think of a few more:

Maki (a pun on Makhaira, a type of greek sword somewhat similar to a Kukri, which also works as a name. It's also the slavic root word for sword)

Kara

Hulda (means hidden in icelandic/old norse)

Lycoris (fits with the theme naming, being floral).

Galanthe (after the snowdrop flower, which in many ways is the opposite of the lycoris in symbolism and also contains the name of the region. Funnily enough, potent dream-enhancing substances can be found in both the lycoris and the snowdrop, the exact same chemical to be exact).

I really like the name Galanthe :)

People who use their real names, that’s totally fine, you do you :) But personally I’m hoping the England-based region kinda opens the floodgates for more fantasy elements in the future. I know that’s a bit stereotypical, but still :p I really like that I’m able to cross one of the things I’m most passionate about (Pokémon) with something I’m really starting to get into (Tolkien).

Last edited:
Kalos had a ton of fantasy elements to it (even if they weren't the main focus). Seems like all the regions based around some european country will have fantasy elements. Imagine regions based around Germany, Poland, Scandinavia or the Balkans ;)

Kalos had a ton of fantasy elements to it (even if they weren't the main focus). Seems like all the regions based around some european country will have fantasy elements. Imagine regions based around Germany, Poland, Scandinavia or the Balkans ;)
In fairness, though, the regions based on Japan incorporated fantasy/mythology elements relevant to Japanese culture. Johto was probably the most successful in this regard, possibly Sinnoh too but I didn’t get a chance to play it. Alola had a good chunk of those cultural elements too with the Tapu, Alolan Dugtrio, etc.

I am growing to understand fantasy in a broader context than just western. At the same time, probably because of the connection to Tolkien and various “swords and sorcery” tropes, there’s something about Galar and Kalos that feel familiar.

I usually name the girl my own name or Minya. When I pick the boy, I name them after one of my fictional characters; usually whoever I am writing at the time, and I try to role-play their choice in team. Probably going to be Either Nemo, Tomally, Apollo or Fisch. Does anyone know if we can choose white hair?

I usually name the girl my own name or Minya. When I pick the boy, I name them after one of my fictional characters; usually whoever I am writing at the time, and I try to role-play their choice in team. Probably going to be Either Nemo, Tomally, Apollo or Fisch. Does anyone know if we can choose white hair?
Well, white was one of the colors you could use in SM, although it was "unlockable" there. Hopefully it will be there from the start this time.

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom