• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

What are your expectations for the Isshu League?

Should the fans expect the Ishuu League to be better than Sinnoh's?

• Yes

Votes: 40 61.5%
  • No

Votes: 25 38.5%

• Total voters

Cascada

Reaction score
Are we? I believe so. Every league gets better with time, and although there most likely will be no Infernape storyline let alone closure, that doesn't mean we can't get a battle that can top Ash vs Paul.

No matter how dull some people think the Ash vs Trip rivalry is, it's too early to tell that their battle is going to suck in my opinion or at least not be so good as Ash vs Paul was in Sinnoh's League.

This League has a lot of potential, and Ash isn't even on his 4th gym battle yet, although it is approaching.

I know it may seem like a longshot, but Langley and/or Burgundy would make great matchups in the League, and nice surprises.

We'll just have to see, but as fan's, are we entitled for the Ishuu league to be a step up from Sinnoh's?

Should the Leagues get better with each series? I suppose so. Will they? Probably not.
Should we expect Unova's League to be better than Sinnoh's? No.

Last edited:
We are in a position to expect NOTHING. Ideally, yes, we would expect them to improve, but to expect it as a given is elitist. We don't know if the rivals as they are presented in this story arc will continue to the league. (although I would like to see it too) Trip will have to do something other than what he is to impress me right now. Ash doing better was a mere technicality in Hoenn. (he placed the same, but lost to the person who would win the tournament) If you want to add that he faced bigger challenges in that league, then I suppose so. I really do not expect Ash to do better this time, not even with an army of new pokes, not unless they pull BS all over the place. (highly likely) No, I do not believe we should expect anything.

Yes, we should.

Otherwise what is the point of watching? If the battles are not better and Ash's progression is not better then the whole show either stalls or dies. I don't want to spend 3-4 years watching the series only for the end league to be a whimper of an affair in comparison to Sinnoh or Hoenn or Johto or Kanto...

Ideally yes, realistically nothing, and in reality, given BW's inconsistent writing... no.

IMO, it'll automatically get at least five extra points from me if no Tobias-esque character is in it.

The D/P league really only shined because of Satoshi and Shinji's rivalry (in my opinion); it had too many weakpoints, like plotboy Takuto, Jun's hasty loss, and the screentime of Satoshi's old Pokemon amongst other things... so yes, I do think Isshu can be better as long as the writing doesn't stick to the subpar category. We have a bunch of interesting rivals this time - rivals that could really turn things around in the league for the better - so I've got pretty high hopes.

I guess the fact that Shinji's no longer around is somewhat made up by the fact that we have so many great recurring characters in Best Wishes :p

My main hope is for the league not to be rushed. I want the rivals to get proper screentime in the league; they deserve at least that. What'll make up a good league is for the Satoshi and Shuuti rivalry to be expanded on to its fullest and brought to a conclusion, each main rival getting a memorable battle (assuming each recurring rival even enters), Dento/Cabernet and Iris/Langley rivalries getting proper closure, and each of Satoshi's Pokemon being used in the league with none of them getting shafted.

My two cents. I'm not expecting anything but more or less just sitting around hoping. While expecting the worst means you won't be disappointed, I'm still trying to believe in the heart of the cards the writers.

As the periphery demographic, we're not entitled to anything.

Whether Unova's League tops Sinnoh, Johto, or whatever is up to the viewer. Me personally, I hope, no, I know it'll be good like the others, but don't know if it'll be better.

How can it be better simply on the basis that we're stuck with Trip instead of Paul?

What made the Paul match interesting is not just what happened in it, its that we NEEDED to see Ash beat Paul. He was his greatest rival and the whole Infernape storyline built up to it.

With Trip its like....who cares? There's nothing building here.

I'd say it's common business sense to always try and improve your product.

I think people are being too quick in shooting down Trip; Paul's rivalry with Ash didn't really kick off for real until the Tag Battle tournament (which was around DP048); we're only at BW042ish. Trip might very well turn into an uber douchebag in the next 8 episodes, or he may need a little more time - but don't count him out just yet.

As for the Sinnoh league itself...aside from Ash vs Paul, it was a horrible league - all the other battles were rushed into a single episode (even Ash vs Conway, which was my second most liked battle, had Donphan rushed OHKO'd). So yes, I do hope for a better one. Will we get it? Probably not.

How can it be better simply on the basis that we're stuck with Trip instead of Paul?

What made the Paul match interesting is not just what happened in it, its that we NEEDED to see Ash beat Paul. He was his greatest rival and the whole Infernape storyline built up to it.

Yes because the league is revolved around Trip and Ash only. If the Don tournament proved anything its that Trip and Ash is not the only won who will get focus. But I think its too soon to judge whether this league will be better than the previous one.

Well other than Bianca, there's no indication the other rivals at this tournament will make it to the Unova league. We don't know if Langely/Burungly are collecting badges, they might be, they might not. Kenyan is possible, as long as the writers don't forget about him afterward.

It's still too early to say that. I bet that Ash and Trip's rivalry will improve by leaps and bounds once Ash meets up with Alder. We have something building up for Trip, and this is his desire to battle Alder (the Champion of the Unova League) one day. We have nothing on Ash's side of the table to compare it to because, frankly, Ash has not encountered or battled Alder yet.

What we have so far is a rival who was given a backstory and a premise that the writers have yet to fully develop so it can impact the series in full. I believe that the writers will do that over time.

As for the Sinnoh league itself...aside from Ash vs Paul, it was a horrible league - all the other battles were rushed into a single episode (even Ash vs Conway, which was my second most liked battle, had Donphan rushed OHKO'd). So yes, I do hope for a better one. Will we get it? Probably not.

True. The Sinnoh League screwed up because the writers allowed Ash to cycle through the pokemon he had acquired from the past four regions and the Orange Islands. Excluding the pokemon that were not meant to be brought back for the competition, the writers permitted Ash to use 19 of his pokemon in his Sinnoh League. This number of pokemon is far too many if the writers were planning on making the majority of Ash's battles as simple 3-on-3 eliminations.

A little less than half of those 19 pokemon never had the opportunity to battle in the Sinnoh League at all, and were merely shown in cameo appearances.

Hopefully since the writers are giving Ash nine pokemon to use, it will be a satisfying competition overall.

Last edited:
The leagues in my opinion got better every time and yes I am including the Sinnoh league. I liked the fact ash used his strong pokemon from the past and plus his Unova team ash had the means to win that whole league. Probably why they had to throw in a legendary trainer to stop him which definitiely sucked but I guess they didnt' want him to win yet. Now with unova he can focus on his main team and HOPEFULLY (at least for me) some of his Unova team will make an eppearance since they weren't really focused on in the league other then battle with Paul. I can see Ash taking this league but if all the rivals that were introduced end up in the league it may be quite a challenge.

The Sinnoh League was awesome until Tobias showed up. Yes Sceptile kicking ass what epic. But Tobias..

They can't really top the Sinnoh League unless the reserves return. Which so far things are pointing against.

I expect it to end somewhat like this..8D
2qalrx4.png

Should the Leagues get better with each series? I suppose so. Will they? Probably not.
Should we expect Unova's League to be better than Sinnoh's? No.

Not hard to top the Shinno league, the only good thing that came out of it, was Kohei vs Satoshi and Shinji vs Satoshi, it was rushed as hell, I loved DP but the league was rushed.

For the Cybercubeds of the world, can Shooti rivalry be better then Shinji? probably not because of the diference of the personalities and not being as heated atleast right now, can the battle be better? ofc it can that has nothing to do with the rivalry.

I am expecting that they don't mess this league up and have time not to rush it, so yeah I'm expecting and improvement once again.

I also don't get the inconsistent writing in BW, it has been pretty consistent, I guess Belle losing makes Belle fans say that.

I agree with people saying the league got better and better, I do think that the Hoenn league was the less appealing even if it had good battles, the lack of more then 6 pokemons(aka suprise factor) really killed it for me and the lack of rivals during the region.

So if I have to rank stuff Sinnoh>Johto>Hoenn>Kanto , even though the Sinnoh one was rushed it still had the best battle we got in the anime till this point, plus like I said Jun vs Shinji and Satoshi vs Kohei were nice battles too, plus we got to see plenty of reserves, we basicly saw everyone or atleast got a mention of everyone but Kingler(poor dude), yes Satoshi mentioned Tauros when talking with Hikari and Takeshi on which pokemons he should use, or atleast I remember that happen in the same conversation he talks about maybe using Swellow aganst Naoshi(I think it was in that episode).

Last edited:
I doubt the writers could ever make the Ash-Trip rivalry any more interesting--at least for me--because no matter what they do, the fact remains that...he's still an unoriginal, forced rival. The most I can hope for is that their league battle will be well written and epic, but their rivalry will always be pointless.

The only thing I can say for the League is that we should hope for the best, but be prepared for the worst.

Last edited:
I usually skip over the league episodes anyway so I could really care less they have never had any appeal to me.

Please note: The thread is from 13 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom