• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

What are your favorite episodes of the Pokémon anime?

Reaction score
Pronouns
  1. He/Him
Basically the title. What are some of your all-time favorite episode(s) from the main anime, and why? Are there any you've rewatched more than others, or specific ones that mean a lot to you? Discuss them here!

They can be from any saga, you can list as many or as few as you want, and you can go into as much detail as possible about why it's your favorite if you want to. :)

I personally have many, but a few of my top favorites are:
  1. EP273, "Gotta Catch Ya Later", as well as the entire Silver Conference arc before it. I think it was the perfect sendoff to the original series, and it was what got me back into the anime a few years ago when I watched it again. It's a big part of why I like OS as much as I do.
  2. EP063, "The Battle of the Badge" and EP171, "Power Play!". Obvious shoutout to my favorite character, no surprise here :sneaky:
  3. EP039, "Pikachu's Goodbye". I watched this one a million times when I was younger and it really stuck with me even now.
So what about you?
(P.S. - remember to tag your Journeys spoilers if needed!)

I want to see the clash episode between team plasma and team rocket two episodes that been banned. I think they will be so great episodes

EP086 (Pikachu Re-Volts) - One of the first few appearances of Ben and Cassidy in their prime, and visually speaking, one of the sharpest looking episodes in the series. Tamagawa’s style works wonderful in this episode and I don’t think it’d be nearly as memorable without the strong expressions + great characterization of the cast within it! One of the main highlights in this episode is the risks that Ash takes to recover Pikachu, and it cements the relationship that we are presented with for the rest of the series

EP155 (Forest Grumps) - Great episode that introduces us to unique dynamics by separating the girls from their respective teams and swapping them around for a day. The interactions are golden throughout, and also does a great job at fleshing out Jessie’s character

SM012 (The Sun, the Scare, the Secret Lair!) - Rarely does the series ever give TR dynamic development (let alone victories), but SM012 presents them with both, along with a new Pokémon. I find that many of their best focus episodes tend to be when their plot is separate, from the protagonists and SM cured that dry spell by making many of them generally focused on giving them their own conflicts and agency. The antics are entertaining throughout, the battle towards the climax was a blast to witness on the first watch, and the general pacing of the story was perfect :giggle:

SM021 (One Journey Ends, Another Begins…) - Amazing story to tell from start to finish, and a great way to begin Litten’s arc. The tone in this episode compared to the usual SM episode is conveyed so distinctly it almost makes you question if you’re watching the same series. Stoutland’s passing is handled wonderfully and just so many of the little things (the leafs slowly withering away, Meowth looking over Litten, Kukui and Ash watching from a distance) add to the emotional tension and make this a powerfully crafted episode

SM073 (Why Not Give Me a Z-Ring Sometime?) - Best TR episode in the series. Period. Having an episode dedicated to just raw TR shenanigans while Ash takes a backseat was super entertaining to watch, and allowing them to actually follow up with the Z-Crystal plot point in SM023 despite already having set up closure really cemented the seed in my head that they felt like a 2nd group of MCs in Sun and Moon. The animation was great, seeing the TRio pulling off a Z-Move was euphoric, and the characterization was well on point. The only glaring flaw I feel the episode had was that Mareanie learning Knock Off felt forced, but it’s at least rectified by the humor it uses to get that point

SM144 (From Z to Shining Z!) - Possibly home to my favorite battle in the shows entire run. The narrative behind it all with it essentially being a battle between battle and son furthered enhanced it, and the amazing animation to the music still gives me goosebumps whenever I watch it. For a long time fan like me, seeing Ash finally come out on top after years felt like such a giant payoff for choosing to stick around, even past XY. Even though the battle is essentially just a giant DEM fest, everything surrounding the battle is what helps make it stand out as one my favorite episodes in both Sun and Moon and the series

Oh, geez, it's kinda hard for me to pick a true favorite, I guess? If we're going by sentimentality I'm also really, really fond of the Silver Conference arc as a whole - someone (hi, orchid :bulbaWave:) showed that to me pretty early on, so it has a combination of both being really good and a whole lot of fondness! I like Battle of The Badge, too, but I feel so bad for Gary that I can't count it as a concrete favorite. . ..

When it comes to episodes I can watch over and over though, I'm a little silly cause I gravitate towards the ones that just make me smile a bunch! Anyone who knows me can definitely guess that The Flame Pokemon-athon! is one of my favorites, buuuut Houndoom's Special Delivery is also something I could curl up and watch a bunch! It's just cozy!!

• Staff
EP086 (Pikachu Re-Volts) - One of the first few appearances of Ben and Cassidy in their prime, and visually speaking, one of the sharpest looking episodes in the series. Tamagawa’s style works wonderful in this episode and I don’t think it’d be nearly as memorable without the strong expressions + great characterization of the cast within it! One of the main highlights in this episode is the risks that Ash takes to recover Pikachu, and it cements the relationship that we are presented with for the rest of the series

EP155 (Forest Grumps) - Great episode that introduces us to unique dynamics by separating the girls from their respective teams and swapping them around for a day. The interactions are golden throughout, and also does a great job at fleshing out Jessie’s character
I agree that these episodes are just great for these very reasons, they're some of the best in their respective seasons for me. Couldn't have said it better myself :)

Regarding the latter, I'd also like to mention EP110, "The Stun Spore Detour" as another one that did a really nice job showing some character dynamics and interactions we didn't usually see — mainly seeing Misty working to solve a problem on her own, and an example of James & Meowth really caring about Jessie (and in the end Misty decides to help them out too). I haven't seen it in a while but I remember it being a really refreshing change of pace.

I'm also really, really fond of the Silver Conference arc as a whole - someone (hi, orchid :bulbaWave:) showed that to me pretty early on
You're welcome for the bias :wynaut:

Last edited:
I have not watched this episode yet but XY140 is my favorite episode ever because Ash and Serena kissed.

Other favorites:

AG I would’ve said A Mudkip Mission but rewatching it it felt underwhelming. Idk what my favorite AG episode is.

EP037. I love Ditto so much.

DP188. Ash vs Paul. Infernape vs Electivire classic.

XY059. ASH AND SERENA WENT ON A DATE.

This is quite hard indeed!

Some of my favorites off the bat include A Maze-ing Race! and Where No Togepi Has Gone Before! Didn't the localization team do awesome with the puns for these two?

The former because it's a great episode where everyone on the cast gets to do something - every Trainer and current party Pokémon. We also get the good ol' mix and swap where combinations like Dawn and Croagunk (who saved her life without prompt, which was endearing to see) happened as well as Paul randomly being in the area and everyone messing up his capture gag; him getting fed up by the time Brock asked was funny while Dawn's "Pardon me for living." comment was hilarious.

The latter because of how plain ridiculous it was, my goodness. An evil Togepi? Who I wanted to punt across the field like a soccer ball. Those two words in the same sentence? And it actually demonstrated the species large movepool with Psychic and Flamethrower? We got definite confirmations on Pikachu, Piplup, and Croagunk's genders, but also found out that Jessie's Yanmega was female - which was awesome as it wasn't in any way identified by its gender with something stereotypical like pronounced eyelashes or sparkling irises. And then - the gang went to space. I just... Wow.

I love how Sinnoh would throw in episodes like these amid the serious stuff like training, Gym Battles, and Contests.

Evolving Strategies
In just a matter of 10 days Paul trained up his pokemon and came up with a well thought out plan against Ash @ Lake Acuity,this worked out very well for him because he absolutely decimated Ash's team to the point of Ash being depressed the following episode.

A Pyramiding Rage
Great episode,like the fact that Brandon is connected to one of Ash's rivals,got some backstory on why Paul became so powerhungry.It was cool seeing him battle Brandon even though it was one sided.

When Pokemon Worlds Collide
This started the great Ash/Paul rivalry,we got to see how Paul operated as a trainer which was the exact opposite of Ash.The first battle still holds up and would have it just behind their Sinnoh League and Lake Acuity battles.

A Real Rival Rouser
I enjoyed seeing Paul's Drapion breeze through half of Ash's team.

Battling a Thaw in Relations
  • Electivire vs Infernape (Elecitvire stopped the referee)
  • Electivire vs Pikachu
  • Gliscor vs Drapion

I want to see the clash episode between team plasma and team rocket two episodes that been banned. I think they will be so great episodes

The episodes I have rewatched more than others (so I probably like them more than others, I have never thought about it, I just have watched them again and again...) are:

EP001 I Choose You! (I have seen this one more than ten times…)

EP046 Attack of the Prehistoric Pokémon (this one is probably my most favourite)

EP102 The Mystery Menace (it takes place in the sewers, which I think is interesting, and Bulbasaur’s story was touching)

EP115 A Tent Situation (Tracey meets prof Oak and Team Rocket almost steals all Pokémon, just perfect)

It’s hard for me to pick just four – I’ve seen every episode of season 1 at least three times, and almost every episode of season 2 at least two times…
Orchid said:
The Battle Of The Badge, the entire Silver Conference arc, Gotta Catch Ya Later!
I don't want to be your echo but... these episodes are great and.... shippy

EP163 Fossil Fools (I guess I like prehistoric Pokémon…)

SM049 Mission: Total Recall!

Quick little addition I want to make: I really like EP157, "The Fortune Hunters".

I think quite a lot of the earlier episodes featuring a scheme from Brent and Cassidy were good, but this one is also just such a good episode characterization-wise for everyone involved IMO. It's a simple premise, but it's executed well and it's just a whole lot of fun to watch. (Not to mention James's famous line :wynaut:)

Some of my favorites off the bat include A Maze-ing Race! and Where No Togepi Has Gone Before! Didn't the localization team do awesome with the puns for these two?
"A Maze-ing Race!" is a fantastic episode! I haven't gotten around to the latter in my rewatch of DP yet, but I do remember that the JP title for it is simply "The Worst Togepy Ever!" which just never gets old to me.

EP001 I Choose You! (I have seen this one more than ten times…)

EP046 Attack of the Prehistoric Pokémon (this one is probably my most favourite)

EP102 The Mystery Menace (it takes place in the sewers, which I think is interesting, and Bulbasaur’s story was touching)

EP115 A Tent Situation (Tracey meets prof Oak and Team Rocket almost steals all Pokémon, just perfect)

It’s hard for me to pick just four – I’ve seen every episode of season 1 at least three times, and almost every episode of season 2 at least two times…
I've seen all of these ones a bunch of times too!! I can't even count how many times I've rewatched season 1 lol, I could probably recite some of it word for word by now.

EP046 and EP115 (as well as the direct follow-up in EP116) are really great. I always thought the callback to "Attack of the Prehistoric Pokémon" in EP055 "Pokémon Paparazzi" was funny, how apparently Todd took a picture of Ash being carried away by Aerodactyl without even realizing :LOL:

I don't want to be your echo but... these episodes are great and.... shippy
I've been found out :lapras: (but yes, you're totally right about that :cool:)

This is indeed a hard question
I'll list some that I remembered here:
XY048 (A campus reunion)
XY055 (A slippery encounter!)
XY059 (Under a Pledging Tree!)
XY067 (The Moment of Lumiose Truth!)
XY105 (Party Dancecapades!)
SM004 (First Catch in Alola, Ketchum-Style!)
SM016 (They might not be giants!)
SM042 (Alola, Kanto!)
SM055 (The professors' new adventure!)
SM067 (Love at first twirl!)
SM102 (Alola, Alola!)
SM103 (Heart of Fire! Heart of Stone!)
SM111 (Show me the metal!)
SM112 (Got Meltan?)
SM120 (The One That Didn't Get Away!)
SM121 (A recipe for success!)
SM141 - SM144
Yup that's all...
:confused:

SM108 - Memories in the Mist!
Mallow reflects some real life experiences of mine, therefore it always has a special place in my heart.

EP051 - Bulbasaur's Mysterious Garden
The atmosphere throughout the episode is magical. I love the world of Pokémon for its mysteries. It has a very special setting to the Pokémon world.

SM108 - Memories in the Mist!
Mallow reflects some real life experiences of mine, therefore it always has a special place in my heart.

EP051 - Bulbasaur's Mysterious Garden
The atmosphere throughout the episode is magical. I love the world of Pokémon for its mysteries. It has a very special setting to the Pokémon world.
Is your username a reference to John D. Rockefeller?

Please note: The thread is from 10 months ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom